The Beatles

What have the overall impressions of the new Abbey Road been? I got the single disc version for Christmas and was honestly a little underwhelmed. It just sounded kind of lifeless to me.

Also, what's the best use of funds. Past Masters or Mono Masters for about double the price?

What have the overall impressions of the new Abbey Road been? I got the single disc version for Christmas and was honestly a little underwhelmed. It just sounded kind of lifeless to me.

Also, what's the best use of funds. Past Masters or Mono Masters for about double the price?
Abbey Road has been generally mixed. Honestly, I’m in the camp of I don’t think it needed to be done.

if you thought the Abbey Road remaster was lifeless stay away from Past Masters.

I like it, I don't think "Better/Worse" is where this issue lies, it's just different. I think it sounds great, the mastering seems to be pushing certain things forward and they become more noticeable when listening. As to your second question, I would go with the Mono Masters and call it a day ;)

I'm sure others will chime in on Abbey Road, then you can get a better sense of it, I'm sure if you look back on this thread you'll also find the discussion had about it.

I really really love the new Abbey Road. It sounds far from lifeless to me.

Even at double the price, Mono Masters is worth it, as it's sourced from the master tapes. Past Masters is sourced from a digital transfer. I'm not at all impressed with the 2012 stereo releases.

What’s the over under that they have Giles start remixing everything else next?
This is going to be the new FOMO............."Do I have the best pressing?!" lol

I'm of mixed feelings on this, honestly if it wasn't for the "session/alternate" stuff I don't know if I'd be so enthused about picking them up. The other thing is the price, I know they usually come out with the single disc version, but like I said, it's the bonuses that are getting my attention first, so for me it becomes a "Do I need this having a MoFi pressing already?". For those who are just getting into the Beatles or are spinning placeholder or poor copies it's a great opportunity to kind of "one and done" it on these.

Past Masters is a nice collection, average pressing. Mono Masters has the same songs, sounding better, is the only place you’ll get the songs from Yellow Submarine in mono and is an exceptional pressing. I have both but in a fight it’s a walkover, Mono Masters all the way.

Love the 3LP Abbey Road. New mix is great and the 2 sessions LPs are good.

The Fab Four is testing my "How many copies of ______________ do I really need" with the remasters, not that I have more than 2 of most, but I've had "Others" on my want list and I'm starting to wonder why, lol.

Money better spent elsewhere, right? :)

This is going to be the new FOMO............."Do I have the best pressing?!" lol

I'm of mixed feelings on this, honestly if it wasn't for the "session/alternate" stuff I don't know if I'd be so enthused about picking them up. The other thing is the price, I know they usually come out with the single disc version, but like I said, it's the bonuses that are getting my attention first, so for me it becomes a "Do I need this having a MoFi pressing already?". For those who are just getting into the Beatles or are spinning placeholder or poor copies it's a great opportunity to kind of "one and done" it on these.
Except for White Album, which I grabbed the vinyl deluxe from warehouse mania.... I’m okay with picking up the cd versions for cheap at some point. It was nice to get a decent pressing of Abbey Road and will be for Let It Be as well. I like the sessions stuff but not enough to spin regularly enough to warrant the shelf space.

Perhaps the Abbey Road pressing is a lower volume so maybe the lifelessness is me just needing to turn up the volume?

Mono Masters is ordered!

That’s generally the sign of a good pressing with decent dynamics, it’s the ones that just sound LOUD across the board that you have to worry about in my experience.

That’s generally the sign of a good pressing with decent dynamics, it’s the ones that just sound LOUD across the board that you have to worry about in my experience.
It can be a bad pressing too, see Awaken My Child by Childish Gambino, the standard version is a quiet mess. There’s no dynamics hidden just crowded grooves.

Perhaps the Abbey Road pressing is a lower volume so maybe the lifelessness is me just needing to turn up the volume?

Mono Masters is ordered!

The big difference is dynamics- Ringo's drums and Paul's bass. Especially the drums- Ringo purchased a new set of calfskin drum heads-you can really hear the difference. That and there's a ton of tom tom work on Abbey Road, so his drumming has much more power.

And @AnthonyI remember the lamp next to my listening chair? I need to look at it- Paul's bass work has pointed out that the lamp rattles!

Back