The Beatles

Just got my box as well! I'm enjoying the remix on first listen. Will spin the others later!

Did see this review on discogs as I went to enter it into my collection:

"1969 Glyn Johns Mix" my arse. They used the 1970 Mix for the most part and edited in the missing bits and pieces from the '69 mix tape with various errors. For example: "For You Blue" is the 1970 Mix with new vocals recorded in January 1970.

Yet for some bizzare reason, the 2 additional 1970 Glyn Johns tracks on the EP are sourced from the old "Vigotone" CD bootleg of John Barretts Cassete dub including a lot of distortion on "I Me Mine" from whatever remastering/frequency enhancing process they used. So you get a 1999 bootleg CD in worse Quality on vinyl. Way to go... :'D
I read the first section when I entered mine as well and just moved on..............there's always that one person, lol

Just got my box as well! I'm enjoying the remix on first listen. Will spin the others later!

Did see this review on discogs as I went to enter it into my collection:

"1969 Glyn Johns Mix" my arse. They used the 1970 Mix for the most part and edited in the missing bits and pieces from the '69 mix tape with various errors. For example: "For You Blue" is the 1970 Mix with new vocals recorded in January 1970.

Yet for some bizzare reason, the 2 additional 1970 Glyn Johns tracks on the EP are sourced from the old "Vigotone" CD bootleg of John Barretts Cassete dub including a lot of distortion on "I Me Mine" from whatever remastering/frequency enhancing process they used. So you get a 1999 bootleg CD in worse Quality on vinyl. Way to go... :'D
If you look, the person didn't want anyone to miss out on the "truth" they're spitting....they copy-pasted the same review on multiple entries.

Interested to see what @RHANDMJ thinks of that
It's utter bullshit, some idiot wanting to ruin it for the label and consumers. First - very few people have heard the Glyn Johns mix. There was an acetate in circulation in 1970, and I did hear it at the time, but can't say I have anything but a vague recollection. It has been bootlegged, but bootlegs are very unreliable - this guy, even if he has heard a boot, may have it backwards - the boot he heard was altered, not the new release.

Also, Glynn Johns mixed the album twice. What we have now is the first version. Why would anyone care to alter a perfectly pristine tape with various paste-in jobs?

BTW, I have both the vinyl and 24/96 digital. There is NO chance the EP was sourced from a CD bootleg. That is just an outright lie.

Fake news, internet misinformation. That guy probably believes Covid is a hoax too, and that vaccines are a plot by the deep state to take control of your body.

The average Spotify streamer probably doesn’t know or care, nor are they likely to be on SHF or Discogs.

Reactions: Jan
I don’t like the Johns mix. It’s a sloppy uncompleted album. Long and Winding Road would have benefitted from a finished version of this mix. The entirety of Get Back just sounds like a demo and one they didn’t take seriously anyways. I do get the complaints about the mastering though, it is clear that it was not treated with the same respect as the main album here and is not as dynamic. I’ll buy the cds if I ever see a deal, but as I suspected there is not much value in the supplementary material for me to lay the cash for the vinyl box unless it is mono accideal good.

Start saving your pennies ;)
I'm not really a big Beatles fan and I don't know much if anything about their recording history in technical terms, but this quote is making me even more curious about Get Back next month to see/hear what they've done:

"It is what it is, and yeah, we throw as much technology at these things as you can, but you have to be careful when you’re doing restoration work. And that’s why it’s been good collaborating with Peter and his team, because they’re really, really good at this stuff. I thought I was good at this stuff, and they’re way better than I am. The audio stuff as well — it’s really remarkable what they can do. It’s a collaboration process."

spinning my newly acquired Esher demos right now and feeling pretty good about this purchase. I love this collection. I also got the deluxe Abbey Road (WHY?) and enjoyed all those sessions last night. I haven't listened to the new stereo mix of the White Album, but that's next up. So far, pretty happy with getting back into Beatles vinyl collecting. But I gotta stop here. So far, out of these three deluxe box sets I think the Let It Be one gives you the most. But the Esher Demos are probably the most essential.

spinning my newly acquired Esher demos right now and feeling pretty good about this purchase. I love this collection. I also got the deluxe Abbey Road (WHY?) and enjoyed all those sessions last night. I haven't listened to the new stereo mix of the White Album, but that's next up. So far, pretty happy with getting back into Beatles vinyl collecting. But I gotta stop here. So far, out of these three deluxe box sets I think the Let It Be one gives you the most. But the Esher Demos are probably the most essential.

Yeah the Esher Demos are pretty magic. For demos they’re so fully formed, it’s almost like a “White Album Unplugged at George’s Gaff”

731CBB69-7BCF-48F6-9ADB-3ECE777BBCFB.jpeg

Working my way through the deluxe edition with a sazerac - so far I’ve listened to the new mix of Let It Be, the Glyn John’s mix of Get Back, and the Let It Be EP.

Overall I’m very impressed with this set, the packaging is top notch and everything I’ve listened to so far sounds great to my ears. Next up - the Apple Sessions and Apple Jams. After a other drink.

CD050CE0-46FB-42D2-B481-0A6043A7D308.jpeg

Today I received The Beatles 4LP deluxe box. Listened to the 2LP Esher Demos. Shit, what a fucking rush. And I have to believe that if you'd never heard of the Beatles and had any kind of ear for music and these 2 LPs just found their way to your turntable, you'd be sure you'd just discovered something that could be BIG. :D

Back