The Beatles

Let It Be off Get Back is a wonderful thing. No orchestra. No choir. Just the other 3 harmonising.

The Long And Winding Road without the choir orchestra and out of place harp is miles better too but, let’s face it, it’s also an inherently have cheesy song even stripped back!
I have always held the belief, that if I was to ever find myself in purgatory for eternity, "The Long And Winding Road" would be playing on a loop the entire time.

Finishing off with the Let It Be EP.

It’s far too late to be awake whilst this sober…

This is fun though!

The Glynn Johns Mix of Across The Universe is a revelation. It elevates that song so much!

It’s also nice to have a version of the Let It Be single version, without George’s guitar, somewhere on this package for posterity if nothing else!

I couldn't find it anywhere now but someone in this thread or another here recently mentioned they discovered what a great keyboardist Billy Preston was.

Not only was he that, he also made the members of the band behave themselves when he was around which probbaly rescued the Let it Be sessions and rooftop concert (an experience George Martin stated was one of the worst of his life and never one he wanted to do again).

This performance of Isn't It a Pity From Concert For George with Billy on Hammond and vocal is incredible IMO.

Listening to Naked now and I like the Giles mix of Spector better. Need to stream the whole shebang at some point to figure out if I wanna splurge for the box or not.
My opinion is that Naked, which I considered to be a poor vanity/grudge job, is now obsolete. It was never really considered a 'canon' release, more Paul's project to scratch a long standing itch. Paul doesn't really reference it anymore, and with the Giles mix seems to have come to some resolution with the Spector mix being the true Let It Be.
My opinion also - the Johns mix was always the best.

Back