The April 2023 Record Spin Challenge: "Want to go around again? I do."

This one:

Cloud Nine by George Harrison. #DiscographicApp
George Harrison - Cloud Nine

I see a couple of reviews on Discogs complaining about compression and sibilance.
Definitely no sibilance on mine.
I didn't notice compression either.
No idea how it would stand against the japanese pressings

That shirt, big ass smile and reflective sunglasses with the clouds in the background.... the terrible photoshop-effect font. Late-80's to early-90's design gold right there. It's awesome.

April 5 - On this day in 1994, Kurt Cobain died by suicide. Play an album by a grunge* band, play an album by someone who committed suicide, or play an album by someone who appeared on MTV unplugged.

When I was reading up on ELP due to yesterdays album in the N&G 1001 albums thread, I found out that Keith Emerson committed suicide in 2016 at age 71. It was assumed that it was at least partially due to nerve damage in his hands and fear of not being able to play up to his standards at upcoming tours. Also found out that Greg Lake died in 2016 of cancer. So again, fuck cancer.

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer ~ Brain Salad Surgery.

1680711698116.png

April 5 - On this day in 1994, Kurt Cobain died by suicide. Play an album by a grunge* band, play an album by someone who committed suicide, or play an album by someone who appeared on MTV unplugged

Sadly, Layne Staley also died on April 5 (2002), from an overdose. AIC is a grunge band, and this is my all time favorite Unplugged ever.

1680718260642.png

April 5 - On this day in 1994, Kurt Cobain died by suicide. Play an album for someone who committed suicide,

Some hard hitting topics so far...
@Hemotep - sorry to hear that you've dealt with so many people that have completed suicide...it's truly awful. We lost a close friend in November to an overdose and we're still coping, or trying to, and wondering if one more text or visit would have helped.

So today I'll play a dedication for our dear friend Lisa. I can't play a Prince record without thinking of her.
💜

IMG_3770.JPG

April 5 - On this day in 1994, Kurt Cobain died by suicide. Play an album by a grunge* band, play an album by someone who committed suicide, or play an album by someone who appeared on MTV unplugged.

INXS - Kick

IMG_4886.jpeg

*or whatever @Lee Newman calls it 😁

Phil Ochs – Pleasures Of The Harbor
20230405_180357.jpg

Ochs hanged himself on April 9, 1976.

Phyllis Hyman - “Living All Alone”

“On June 30,1995, Hyman committed suicide by overdosing on pentobarbital and secobarbital in the bedroom of her New York City apartment. She was found unconscious in her bedroom hours before she was scheduled to perform at the Apollo Theater. She died two hours later at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital.”

8F2457EE-9B2F-416C-826C-1D2BB1A4943D.jpeg

Ronnie Montrose - one of the primary instrumentalists on this album - committed suicide in 2012 after a lifelong battle with depression.

It feels glib to say this but I went searching for an example as I didn't want to just play Nirvana. I enjoyed listening and it's probably not something I would've thought to pull out left to my own devices, I'm not trying to make light of it.

Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey

20230405_233716.jpg

April 6 - On this day in 1960, Warren Haynes was born. Play a southern rock, country rock, or jam band album.

Widespread Panic - Sunday Show 3/24/2019

Next to Grateful Dead and Neil Young, Widespread Panic is the only other band that I can listen to live set after live set without ever getting sick of them. Listening to them makes me feel happy to be alive and lucky to experience such things. I have a hard time picking my favorite of their live sets on wax, but if you want melt your face off guitar that sings to your soul, this one will do that. They really brought the fire, even though it's missing Michael Houser (fuck cancer) and Todd Nance (fuck chronic illnesses) you can feel their presence in the jams.

It really is amazing. Putting this on completely elevated my mood today. Music is magic.

IMG20230406112410.jpg

April 6 - On this day in 1960, Warren Haynes was born. Play a southern rock, country rock, or jam band album.

This album travels all over the south geographically and historically. From digging into the Lynyrd Skynyrd mythology (including their 'feud' with Neil Young through the plane crash that killed a number of the band members) to exploring George Wallace and "the duality of the southern thing". One of those rare albums that fully immerses you in its world.

And the final song - Angels and Fuselage - about the aforementioned plane crash from a first person perspective - is chilling.

The engines have stopped now. We all know we are going down. Last call for alcohol.
Sure wish I could have another round.

And I'm scared shitless of what's coming next.
Scared shitless, these angels I see in the trees are waiting for me.
Waiting for me.

Friends in the swamp.
Friends on the ground, in the trees.
Angels and fuselage.

Drive~By Truckers ~ Southern Rock Opera

1680797163197.png

This album travels all over the south geographically and historically. From digging into the Lynyrd Skynyrd mythology (including their 'feud' with Neil Young through the plane crash that killed a number of the band members) to exploring George Wallace and "the duality of the southern thing". One of those rare albums that fully immerses you in its world.

And the final song - Angels and Fuselage - about the aforementioned plane crash from a first person perspective - is chilling.

The engines have stopped now. We all know we are going down. Last call for alcohol.
Sure wish I could have another round.

And I'm scared shitless of what's coming next.
Scared shitless, these angels I see in the trees are waiting for me.
Waiting for me.

Friends in the swamp.
Friends on the ground, in the trees.
Angels and fuselage.

Drive~By Truckers ~ Southern Rock Opera

View attachment 171299
I picked this one up before I settled on Widespread Panic. Great pick!

Tangentially related, well before I met him, my husband was vacationing in Virginia Beach with his family as they did every summer. They always stayed at The Cavalier hotel, and it so happened that The Doobies were playing in Norfolk, VA that week. Wouldn't you know it, they were also staying at the same hotel! So my husband and his siblings got to swim with the Doobies.

1680807641223.png

Tangentially related, well before I met him, my husband was vacationing in Virginia Beach with his family as they did every summer. They always stayed at The Cavalier hotel, and it so happened that The Doobies were playing in Norfolk, VA that week. Wouldn't you know it, they were also staying at the same hotel! So my husband and his siblings got to swim with the Doobies.

View attachment 171316

Swimming with doobies makes them much harder to smoke!

I suspect this only just barely counts as either southern or country rock, but I seem to play this every time I attempt a monthly challenge and can get away with playing the whole thing today.

Jack White - Live at Bonnaroo 2014

20230406_153500.jpg

Day 02: April 2 - On this day in 1998, Robert Pilatus (of Milli Vanilli fame) died from an overdose. Play an album that has a song that was called out for plagiarism, something by someone who died of an overdose, or a dance album.

The Grateful Dead - In The Dark
FE020732-69D2-4983-B748-4529CC0B4118.jpeg
Grateful Dead keyboardist, Brent Mydland died at his home in Lafayette, California, on July 26, 1990, shortly after completing the Grateful Dead's summer tour. An autopsy conducted by the Contra Costa Coroner's office revealed that Mydland had died of acute cocaine and morphine intoxication. Richard Rainey, Contra Costa County coroner, stated that "Toxicology tests reveal lethal levels of morphine and cocaine in the blood", a mixture "commonly referred to as a 'speedball'." He was the third Dead keyboardist to die (after founding member Ron "Pigpen" McKernan in 1973 and Keith Godchaux in 1980); Garcia said Mydland's death was "crushing" and it abruptly closed a chapter of the band's career.

Prince And The Revolution "Around The World In A Day" (1985 Warner Japan)
I played this yesterday before losing power and didn't get a chance to post the image. Power is back and here is my play from yesterday. I see that Prince has already come up, but not this record.

IMG_3569.JPG

Day 03: April 3 - On this day in 1990, Sarah Vaughan died of lung cancer. Play a vocal jazz album, something by someone who died of cancer, or an album by someone who has played at the Apollo Theater.

The Glands - Double Coda
14B1FD49-A653-40D4-BDE7-ECDE733D8125.jpeg
On March 26, Ross Shapiro, lead singer and guitarist for Athens indie band, The Glands, passed away from lung cancer. This album was posthumously released following his passing.

Day 04: April 4 - On this day in 1964, The Beatles held the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100. Play an album by The Beatles, by a Beatle, or something that made it into one of the top five spots of the Billboard Hot 100.

The Beatles - Hey Jude
B524277F-750A-4B8E-8F56-F7842FCE769F.jpeg
This compilation of non-album B-Sides was the first album I ever purchased on vinyl. I picked up a copy of this and Bruce Springsteen’s The River from a head shop in Normal, IL called Mother Murphy’s both albums were $12 total.

Back