The April 2023 Record Spin Challenge: "Want to go around again? I do."

April 4 - On this day in 1964, The Beatles held the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100. Play an album by The Beatles, by a Beatle, or something that made it into one of the top five spots of the Billboard Hot 100.

After a couple of heavy prompts, this lyric rings true.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make

The Beatles ~ Abbey Road

View attachment 171155
That lyric hit me hard when I played this album on day 1. (I really should look ahead at the prompts and plan accordingly!)

That lyric hit me hard when I played this album on day 1. (I really should look ahead at the prompts and plan accordingly!)
So much meaning in so few words. I had no idea it was the last song the Beatles recorded as a group until just now.

"The End" is a song by the English rock band the Beatles from their 1969 album Abbey Road. It was composed by Paul McCartney and credited to Lennon–McCartney. It was the last song recorded collectively by all four Beatles,[2] and is the final song of the medley that constitutes the majority of side two of the album. The song features one of the few drum solos recorded by Ringo Starr.

April 4 - On this day in 1964, The Beatles held the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100. Play an album by The Beatles, by a Beatle, or something that made it into one of the top five spots of the Billboard Hot 100.

Kind of cheating again today - not exactly an album by The Beatles, but a collection of Beatles songs. 5 of the songs made it to #1 on Billboard and another (Strawberry Fields Forever) peaked just outside the top 5 at #8.

1680627886811.jpeg

So much meaning in so few words. I had no idea it was the last song the Beatles recorded as a group until just now.

"The End" is a song by the English rock band the Beatles from their 1969 album Abbey Road. It was composed by Paul McCartney and credited to Lennon–McCartney. It was the last song recorded collectively by all four Beatles,[2] and is the final song of the medley that constitutes the majority of side two of the album. The song features one of the few drum solos recorded by Ringo Starr.
I didn't know that either!

The Beatles "The Beatles" (1968 Apple Records; 2018 remix from The Beatles and Esher Demos)
We're only on day 4 and I already played some Lennon previously. So it's going to be the whole troupe for this go-round.

IMG_3567.JPG

April 3 - On this day in 1990, Sarah Vaughan died of lung cancer. Play a vocal jazz album, something by someone who died of cancer, or an album by someone who has played at the Apollo Theater.

George Harrison - Cloud Nine

View attachment 171169

If ever you have the urge to change your avatar, this should be it. You played this a few months ago and it reminded me I should have it on my wantlist. I see it often when I look around for japanese pressings, and every time I think "oh yeah @gafacaode spins this". I really should pull the trigger and play it while wearing my "The Dude" t-shirt.

If ever you have the urge to change your avatar, this should be it. You played this a few months ago and it reminded me I should have it on my wantlist. I see it often when I look around for japanese pressings, and every time I think "oh yeah @gafacaode spins this". I really should pull the trigger and play it while wearing my "The Dude" t-shirt.
This pressing sounds really good.
I should actually spin it more often, it always puts me in a good mood.

Edit: and I like your avatar idea

April 4 - On this day in 1964, The Beatles held the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100. Play an album by The Beatles, by a Beatle, or something that made it into one of the top five spots of the Billboard Hot 100
PXL_20230405_011149741.jpg
Paul McCartney "McCartney" - this is a record by a Beatle. Also I forgot how much of a banger
Momma Miss America is!

Let's face it - Ringo deserves some love.

This record is chock full of great songs...

Ringo Starr - Ringo

20230404_234736.jpg

Which pressing do you have?
This one:

Cloud Nine by George Harrison. #DiscographicApp
George Harrison - Cloud Nine

I see a couple of reviews on Discogs complaining about compression and sibilance.
Definitely no sibilance on mine.
I didn't notice compression either.
No idea how it would stand against the japanese pressings

Attachments

• 1680689002800.png
    1680689002800.png
    721.1 KB · Views: 0
April 5 - On this day in 1994, Kurt Cobain died by suicide. Play an album by a grunge* band, play an album by someone who committed suicide, or play an album by someone who appeared on MTV unplugged.

Losing someone to illness hurts, but that's usually out of our hands. Losing someone to suicide is a different kind of pain, because you always think about what you could have done to help prevent it. I feel haunted by those I've lost to suicide. From friends, to students, to mere acquaintances, I think of them all. Call or text 988 if you or someone you know is dealing with suicidal ideation. It's great that they've made it an easy to remember number now.

Keith Flint is one I want to remember today. I don't know why but as I've gotten older I've been pulled more into The Prodigy than I ever was when I was younger. And true to my form of loving live albums, this one really does it for me.

WORLD'S ON FIRE
IMG20230405094955.jpg

Back