The April 2023 Record Spin Challenge: "Want to go around again? I do."

April 3 - On this day in 1990, Sarah Vaughan died of lung cancer. Play a vocal jazz album, something by someone who died of cancer, or an album by someone who has played at the Apollo Theater.

Only 31 years on this earth and his impact is immeasurable...

Bob Marley - Easy Skanking In Boston '78

20200713_005426.jpg

April 3 - On this day in 1990, Sarah Vaughan died of lung cancer. Play a vocal jazz album, something by someone who died of cancer, or an album by someone who has played at the Apollo Theater.

Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto – Summvs
View attachment 171054

Fuck cancer.

I was listening to 12 again this morning. A few weeks ago I thought, my goodness his breathing is really too loud on some of this but now I get it. It’s nice to hear him still breathing

April 2 - On this day in 1998, Robert Pilatus (of Milli Vanilli fame) died from an overdose. Play an album that has a song that was called out for plagiarism, something by someone who died of an overdose, or a dance album.

New Order "Technique" (1989 Factory)
John Denver sued the band claiming that the track "Run" (and the remixed single "Run 2") borrow from his song "Leaving On An Airplane". The guitar break on Run is supposed to sound like the chorus of the John Denver song. I'm sure there is something in there but frankly I can't hear it. Nevertheless, John Denver ended up getting songwriting credit.

IMG_3108.JPG

April 2 - On this day in 1998, Robert Pilatus (of Milli Vanilli fame) died from an overdose. Play an album that has a song that was called out for plagiarism, something by someone who died of an overdose, or a dance album.

Prince & The Revolution ~ Purple Rain

1680542992685.png

Benjamin Orr died of Pancreatic Cancer in 2000, as did my Dad two years ago. Fuck Cancer!

The Cars ~ Heartbeat City

1680553105321.png

Joey died of cancer, Johnny died of an infection related to his cancer. Fuck cancer.

1680554319863.jpeg

The Tragically Hip "Live At The Roxy - Los Angeles May 3 1991" (2021 Universal)
For Gord. Fuck Cancer.

IMG_3553.JPG

April 3 - On this day in 1990, Sarah Vaughan died of lung cancer. Play a vocal jazz album, something by someone who died of cancer, or an album by someone who has played at the Apollo Theater

Low - C’mon

955AC732-E8EE-4323-8A63-6CE49038B257.jpeg

Mimi Parker passed away from ovarian cancer last year. I chose this one in particular because that’s her on the album cover, although I would argue that The Invisible Way has some of favorite Low tracks because it puts her wonderful voice to the front. I don’t use this word often, but indeed, fuck cancer

Last edited:
Ok, woke up feeling a little sheepish when I saw my sad, drunk, sad posts. Rough day.
I know I'm not alone when dealing with losing people to the c-word, I guess that's what I was trying to convey.
❤️
I'm glad you shared yesterday. I'm unfortunately just waiting for the call for my mom, and it's rough. It's nice to at least be able to share it with others who know how much it sucks.

Since my mom is at the end of a long run with breast cancer, I thought I'd play this Linda McCartney album (Wide Prairie). The irony is that my mom never liked this this album 😂 but when it was in that Steve Miller Band blowout for $8, I figured what the hell. Sorry I cheaped out and played an album you didn't like on your "fuck cancer" post, mom.

Also ironic is that she'd probably finish disowning me for saying fuck 🤷

IMG20230404105121.jpg

April 4 - On this day in 1964, The Beatles held the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100. Play an album by The Beatles, by a Beatle, or something that made it into one of the top five spots of the Billboard Hot 100.

Santana - Supernatural

Features Smooth which spent 12 weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100, and 58 weeks on the chart making it one of the most successful songs ever on the list.
IMG20230404114902.jpg

April 4 - On this day in 1964, The Beatles held the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100. Play an album by The Beatles, by a Beatle, or something that made it into one of the top five spots of the Billboard Hot 100.

After a couple of heavy prompts, this lyric rings true.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make

The Beatles ~ Abbey Road

1680624828484.png

Back