The April 2023 Record Spin Challenge: "Want to go around again? I do."

April 6 - On this day in 1960, Warren Haynes was born. Play a southern rock, country rock, or jam band album.

Grinder Switch – Redwing
View attachment 171338

The 33 1/3 book for DBT's The Dirty South made me aware of these guys and I quickly fell in love - their first 4 albums are absolutely gold!
Looks like I'll have to look into these guys AND get the 33 1/3 book on the Dirty South!

Day 05: April 5 - On this day in 1994, Kurt Cobain died by suicide. Play an album by a grunge* band, play an album by someone who committed suicide, or play an album by someone who appeared on MTV unplugged.

Vic Chesnutt - Little
352D6B3F-4614-4074-AC33-486DE700B25E.jpeg

Another sad one from Athen, GA. Vic Chesnutt left this mortal coil of his own volition on Christmas Day 2009 from an overdose of muscle relaxants that had left him in a coma in an Athens hospital. He was 45 years old.

Day 05: April 5 - On this day in 1994, Kurt Cobain died by suicide. Play an album by a grunge* band, play an album by someone who committed suicide, or play an album by someone who appeared on MTV unplugged.

Vic Chesnutt - Little
View attachment 171337

Another sad one from Athen, GA. Vic Chesnutt left this mortal coil of his own volition on Christmas Day 2009 from an overdose of muscle relaxants that had left him in a coma in an Athens hospital. He was 45 years old.

I saw him at one of his last shows right before. Got to help lift him on stage because it was at a small place in Denver that wasn't handicap accessible. Andrew Rieger told me after the show that he hadn't seen Vic light up on stage like that in a while. He put on an incredible performance that touched everyone in the audience. We drank a beer together after the show with Laura Carter. News of his death hit me really hard. I don't think I've cried from a musician's death before, but I cried when I heard this news.

April 6 - On this day in 1960, Warren Haynes was born. Play a southern rock, country rock, or jam band album.

Honestly I expected it to be scooped by the time I got to listening on the west coast. I figured it would be @Yer Ol' Uncle D 's midnight spin.

I had a good Warren story so...

My go-to record store from the mid 80s thru the mid 90s was Selecter Records. It was in a small town that was considered the big town by my town which was a tiny town. Selecter was owned by Warren Haynes' brother, Brian, and his wife Susan. Such good people. I spent so many hours in that store and have so many great records in my collection because they turned me on to them. Eventually, Brian's dad became ill and they sold the shop so they could move back to Asheville. A local "hipster" bought the store and the guy he had working there was Jack Black's 'Barry' before High Fidelity. So sad it went down in flames that way, but I digress.

We had a tiny bar/club - maybe held 100 - called Ten Years After that pulled in some incredible artists during that period. Most of these were truly musical giants but the trends of the day had left them out of favor with programmers and record sales weren't what they used to be. One of these was Lonnie Mack. I had tickets for this one and I got a call from Susan the day before the show. She told me Warren was coming in to visit and the plan was he would jam with Lonnie that night.

The message was get there early, please tape and keep my recording habit on the down low as the jury was still out on how Lonnie felt about tapers.

I did, I did and I did and boy, am I glad I did...

Fun fact about Lonnie - he bought the 7th Flying V off the production line at Gibson and that was his guitar forever and ever. What a unique sound he got.

Lonnie Mack - Roadhouses & Dance Halls

20230406_233258.jpg

Last edited:
April 7 - On this day in 2020, John Prine died of COVID. Play a country-folk/Americana album or an album that was specifically made as a pandemic album.

The pandemic inspired Lucinda Williams to create the "Lu's Jukebox" series of records with the proceeds going to live music clubs to help keep them afloat. Great cause. Great music.

Lucinda Williams - You Are Cordially Invited... A Tribute To The Rolling Stones

20220619_002945.jpg

April 7 - On this day in 2020, John Prine died of COVID. Play a country-folk/Americana album or an album that was specifically made as a pandemic album.

Jason promised that if Georgia went blue in the 2020 election, he'd release an album of covers of Georgia artists - this release the outcome of that. Amanda Shires & Jason also hosted a daily livestream the first 30 days or so of the initial shitstorm of the pandemic, and personally I found it to be a great way to continue to feel connected & deal at that time. They've since pulled most of them down, but including their cover of High & Dry from the series as a bonus.

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit ~ Georgia Blue

1680889524732.png

Jason promised that if Georgia went blue in the 2020 election, he'd release an album of covers of Georgia artists - this release the outcome of that. Amanda Shires & Jason also hosted a daily livestream the first 30 days or so of the initial shitstorm of the pandemic, and personally I found it to be a great way to continue to feel connected & deal at that time. They've since pulled most of them down, but including their cover of High & Dry from the series as a bonus.

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit ~ Georgia Blue

View attachment 171397

This is such a great album. If I remember right, @scotthilk bought it for me during Pifsgiving when it came out.

I was wondering if i was going to have a chance to spin this for the challenge thread and then nearly forgot it was a pandemic album. I hadn't heard this band before but the people in the record store recommended it when I came in several times in a row, so I blind bought it. This things great, heavy blues-y stoner-y groovy... Only problem is "Rats in Ruin" usually haunts me for a couple of days whenever I play it.

All Them Witches - Live on the Internet

20230407_143015.jpg

Grinder Switch – Redwing
View attachment 171338

The 33 1/3 book for DBT's The Dirty South made me aware of these guys and I quickly fell in love - their first 4 albums are absolutely gold!
I still need a Grinderswitch album for my collection.

Day 06: April 6 - On this day in 1960, Warren Haynes was born. Play a southern rock, country rock, or jam band album.
Richard Betts - Highway Call
3F3BA903-30A5-41A9-8E20-EFE8BF812806.jpeg
Dickie Betts and Gregg Allman invited Haynes to join the Allman Brothers when they revived the group in the Late 80s . Duane get lots of deserved love but Dickie Betts is just as vital to the success of the group and his solo stuff rips!

Last edited:
Back