The April 2023 Record Spin Challenge: "Want to go around again? I do."

Day 1: RIP Marvin Gaye

Otis Redding
with Booker T & The MG’s and The Mar-Keys - Captured Live at the Monterey International Pop Festival

5BBFE6DE-1528-4909-9781-2BDD131F6BF4.jpeg

A great live soul record featuring a drumming legend who was gunned down by “burglars” in 1975 at the age of just 39. RIP Al Jackson, Jr.

April 1 - On this day in 1984, Marvin Gaye was murdered. Play something by someone who was murdered, an album about murder, or a soul record.

Morgan was killed in the early hours of February 19, 1972, at Slugs' Saloon, a jazz club in New York City's East Village where his band was performing. Following an altercation between sets, Morgan's common-law wife Helen Moore (a.k.a. Helen Morgan) shot him. The injuries were not immediately fatal, but the ambulance was slow in arriving on the scene as the city had experienced heavy snowfall that resulted in extremely difficult driving conditions. They took so long to get there that Morgan bled to death.

Lee Morgan ~ The Sidewinder

1680402726379.png

April 2 - On this day in 1998, Robert Pilatus (of Milli Vanilli fame) died from an overdose. Play an album that has a song that was called out for plagiarism, something by someone who died of an overdose, or a dance album.

Overdosing on pills prescribed to quell your alcoholism - über irony. Also, a cocaine-induced cardiac arrest on The Who's tragic scorecard.

This is the last song from the last time Keith Moon performed with The Who. Stay for the end...

This is a spectacular documentary. Watch it.

The Who - The Kids Are Alright

20230402_003545.jpg

April 2 - On this day in 1998, Robert Pilatus (of Milli Vanilli fame) died from an overdose. Play an album that has a song that was called out for plagiarism, something by someone who died of an overdose, or a dance album

Alice In Chains - Jar Of Flies/Sap

0BA9F5F2-2DE3-4BBF-8AA4-58BF4F878A01.jpeg

My vinyl copy of Milli Vanilli that I got for my 9th birthday is still at my mom’s house, otherwise I would have definitely played that.

I went to college in Alice In Chains’s neighborhood and my barber insisted she was the model on the cover of Dirt because she was close friends with them (she is not on the cover of Dirt). Layne Staley was one of too many Seattle artists whose life was cut short.

Edit: Could have played the Singles soundtrack, which features five different artists that have died prematurely, four of them from overdose

Last edited:
April 2 - On this day in 1998, Robert Pilatus (of Milli Vanilli fame) died from an overdose. Play an album that has a song that was called out for plagiarism, something by someone who died of an overdose, or a dance album.

Stone Temple Pilots - Core

Each generation has lost too many artists to drugs. Sadly it wasn't as much of a surprise as I wish it had been with Scott Weiland.
IMG20230402150325.jpg

I'm going to try to finish this month's challenge!

April 1 - On this day in 1984, Marvin Gaye was murdered. Play something by someone who was murdered, an album about murder, or a soul record
Cheating a bit, not an album nor a solo album by the murder victim....but two murders in this pick... The Beatles - Abbey Road
John Lennon was murdered (I was in 8th grade and still remember that night)
Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a song about a murder! Bang bang....

1680465613522.jpeg

I'm going to try to finish this month's challenge!

April 1 - On this day in 1984, Marvin Gaye was murdered. Play something by someone who was murdered, an album about murder, or a soul record
Cheating a bit, not an album nor a solo album by the murder victim....but two murders in this pick... The Beatles - Abbey Road
John Lennon was murdered (I was in 8th grade and still remember that night)
Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a song about a murder! Bang bang....

View attachment 170998
That's not cheating in my book. It fully counts!

Stone Temple Pilots - Core

Each generation has lost too many artists to drugs. Sadly it wasn't as much of a surprise as I wish it had been with Scott Weiland.
View attachment 170995
damn. I was just thinking this was gonna be my day 2 pick! I sadly, have others that fit.

Justin Townes Earle – Kids In The Street
20230402_131710.jpg

This one hit me harder than most.

April 2 - Play an album that has a song that was called out for plagiarism, something by someone who died of an overdose, or a dance album.
We had tickets to see Amy at the TLA in Philly, then she suddenly started skyrocketing in popularity and they moved the show to a larger venue, The Electric Factory. While I am so happy that I had a chance to see her, the show was not good. She was beyond fucked up, the best part of the night was the back up singers / dancers. So tragic that such an amazing talent joined the 27 club.

1680467327970.jpeg

Day 2 - Robert Pilatus

I wanted to play Zeppelin II, but I don't have access to a copy. Fits both on counts of alleged plagiarism and the death of John Bonham.

Led Zeppelin - IV

View attachment 171015
I considered spinning Pearl Jam's, Yield - many feel that their song, Given to Fly, is a rip off of Zep's song from this album, Going to California

PXL_20230402_235524435.jpg
Notorious BIG "Ready to Die" - murdered in his prime over some bullshit! Playing catch-up and attempting to get back into the spin of things, yeah that's not helping...

April 2 - On this day in 1998, Robert Pilatus (of Milli Vanilli fame) died from an overdose. Play an album that has a song that was called out for plagiarism, something by someone who died of an overdose, or a dance album
PXL_20230402_235724496.jpg
George Harrison "All Things Must Pass" - even a former member of the Beatles isn't above ripping someone off!! This record is still a damn masterpiece!

View attachment 171027
Notorious BIG "Ready to Die" - murdered in his prime over some bullshit! Playing catch-up and attempting to get back into the spin of things, yeah that's not helping...

Damn, just barely scooped.

View attachment 171028
George Harrison "All Things Must Pass" - even a former member of the Beatles isn't above ripping someone off!! This record is still a damn masterpiece!

Oh, free idea: I already played today but John Lennon's Rock N' Roll was made in as settlement for pilfering a line in Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" for "Come Together."

Back