The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While Judas Priest gets done with the crappy part of the album, (seriously the amount of five star reviews for an album with an obvious clunker like United on the generator site is staggering ) Ryan Adams.

I have a long complicated history with this cat.

First of all, I lived in Jacksonville, NC for a good chunk of my childhood as my dad was a marine and miraculously was stationed at the Air Station of Camp Lejeune (I promise you my spam for Lejeune is worse than yours) from the time I was in the second grade until my Junior year of high school. I went to Jacksonville High just like Mr. Adams. He was a year younger than me. He dropped out his sophomore year and I was a Junior then. Don't really remember him well.

I remember when Whiskeytown broke and I thought it was cool but didn't really follow them closely.

I missed the start of his solo career and was actually ramping up to be a big fan amassing a bit of a collection by the time the abuse scandal hit. I actually traded in all of his records for like a buck a pop and bought the Pheobe Bridgers debut from my local as a form of protest.

This or Gold would have probably been my next purchase of his.

Funnily enough, it was his version of 1984 that really brought me to him.
Supposedly he has a cover version of The Strokes This Is It that he recorded back in the early 2000s that somehow never managed to leak. Dude has loads of unreleased albums. I still have a bunch of it on a hard drive somewhere. Lots of great stuff. Too bad it’s not something I wanna listen to much anymore.

He recorded this record with Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings?!?? WTF. Although Dave does have questionable associations (yes I am referring to VMP).
The first track on Heartbreaker is “An argument with David Rawlings Regarding Morrisey” and it literally is Ryan and Dave arguing about whether a particular track is on Viva Hate or Bona Drag.

I haven't checked the site since the new one flipped in the last little bit, but I finally got to last night's/today's while making dinner a couple of hours ago - another one I'd never heard:

Day 0002.jpeg

Definitely one of those "I've done myself a disservice by not listening to this before" moments. One of the things I'm most looking forward to with this project is finally addressing some of these blind spots. Both The Jam and Paul Weller's solo stuff are things I've long been aware of but never really taken the dip on, save a compilation appearance or two from Weller that I don't recall disliking, but also never liked enough to push me deeper.

This album rips! I'm pretty sure 25 years ago me would have enjoyed this immensely as well. I didn't take any sort of listening notes since I was cooking for the family while I listened to it, but I absolutely loved it from start to finish and will definitely be revisiting it again, likely tracking down a vinyl copy and eventually dipping deeper into their catalogue.

The version on Stupify has the UK and original US track listing, which features "Billy Hunt" instead of "The Butterfly Collector." While I enjoyed the whole album immensely, I found myself particularly enjoying the back half of both sides the most, especially "'A' Bomb in Wardour Street" and "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" to close out the album.

I mean that's a great first track for an album by this dick. Arguing over what album some other dick's song is on.

Then To Be Young starts and my heart falls, because it's so damn good. Fucking asshole. (this may be how this whole thing goes)... love the dylanesque sound and lyrics.

Back