The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The live version of Grinder shows a band with a lot more swagger and confidence. Maybe they just needed to road test this shit. I'd be interested in when they started playing Breaking the Law and Living After Midnight live.

More NWOBHM than thrash, Lee. Think of it as part of the same pot that Iron Maiden came from. They have a massive influence in British metal at that time, and spearheaded a lot of the modern metal tropes, but they never clicked for me.
I mean I get the NWOBHM, I just posted about it in the metal thread, Iron Maiden is in the same camp for me. I would say that Rapid Fire and Steeler are proto-thrash for sure, but don't think any of the rest of the album approaches that. There was for sure some of everything that was to come in the album. It just doesn't jell for me for whatever reason. It kind of plays like a metal sampler. Metal is a weird genre for me. Megadeth is another just huge band that I could do without.

I think it is interesting that, with Priest and Maiden, that these are bands that folks often talk about how great the vocalists are and I don't really connect. Just thinking about the post somewhere on here the other day about how whether you are drawn to vocals or the music could possibly be connected to how you think.

I'll give it a listen in the headphones in the morning before I rate it.

i'm kind of blown away lee is just discovering lcd. better late than never!

i signed up for this thing, marvin gaye's superfly is my first record. it's a five star classic i've listened to many times.

i could be down for a group thing but i don't know that i'd add much unless i felt particularly strongly about something. definitely would read the thread though.

i'm kind of blown away lee is just discovering lcd. better late than never!

i signed up for this thing, marvin gaye's superfly is my first record. it's a five star classic i've listened to many times.

i could be down for a group thing but i don't know that i'd add much unless i felt particularly strongly about something. definitely would read the thread though.
Marvin Gaye's Superfly is an album I am not familiar with. Was it a lost album? Is it an alternative soundtrack?:ROFLMAO:

Also, I believe I had listened to american dream a couple of times when it came out. I don't know, that one just didn't speak to me the way Sound of Silver did. I may have listened to the self-titled album too.

Checking last.fm, I checked out self titled and listened to it twice in September of 2017. Listened to american dream twice the same month (clearly it made a little impression on me - enough to check out the first album). None of the other albums have a full listen. Sound of Silver has three full listens yesterday. I might do some exploring again. I plan on putting silver in my weekly playlist. I think I will be adding the record that impressed me the most each week in the next week's playlist. Live with it for a minute.... see if it still impresses.

alrighty everyone, I edited the first two posts, does it all make a bit more sense now?

Alrighty, having blasted British Steel in my earbuds on the walk to my truck and now blasting it over the truck’s stereo…. A lot of the problem was just volume. That said it still feels guarded. Surprisingly even those first three songs felt like they were just too pristine. It all wants some crunch that’s just… missing. The live version of Grinder got it. Interestingly, I thought their performance at the Hall of Fame Induction was a lot of fun. Maybe they are better live, maybe they just hadn’t gotten there yet.

[Edit] the last three songs: Living After Midnight, The Rage, and Steeler are what all the reading I’ve done on the album attribute to the whole album - the arrival of Judas Priest. They very much benefit from cranking the volume and the album really gets going and then it’s over.[/Edit]

I still don’t foresee myself spending much time with this album (although I would love to hear a hot stank version). I might try a third listen tonight to see if that does the trick. I do want to spend some time with their catalog, it did pique my interest. In that respect.

United is still objectively an awful song.

I’m also kind of thinking about something Ted Gioia said in How to Listen to Jazz.

For a period of time in college, he did an experiment where he only listened to music that predated Louis Armstrong. He then started listening to Louis again and he understood all the innovation that he missed out on having been familiar with the music that came after.

I wonder if Priest would benefit from a similar experiment. Not that I have the patience for such an experiment.

Last edited:
View attachment 164067
Not even remotely familiar with this album!
It’s fantastic. @Yer Ol' Uncle D will agree with me.

The Trees are an interesting band. They sort of got gobbled up with the whole grunge thing but didn’t really belong. Their SST stuff is this crazy out there psychedelic surf stuff. Then they got signed and made a more straight up psychedelic album that was kind of heavy. Then Seattle blew up and they made Sweet Oblivion which is like the stereotypical grunge album. Meanwhile Lanegan started to do solo stuff and this feels more like that stuff except with the Conner brothers playing on it. This is like a dark soundtrack to a modern western.

I was obsessed with this band and have all of it on CD.

Also, I believe I had listened to american dream a couple of times when it came out. I don't know, that one just didn't speak to me the way Sound of Silver did. I may have listened to the self-titled album too.

I like everything they’ve done but Sounds of Silver is 100% the peak. That one two of Someone Great into All My Friends get me every time. When the time comes you wouldn’t complain with Someone Great being written as your eulogy!

I like everything they’ve done but Sounds of Silver is 100% the peak. That one two of Someone Great into All My Friends get me every time. When the time comes you wouldn’t complain with Someone Great being written as your eulogy!
The beat drop on Dance Yourself Clean is maybe my favorite moment from any LCD song. Always a toss up for me of whether I like This is Happening or Sounds of Silver better and it’s usually just whichever I have listened to most recently.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’d add on North American Scum and there isn’t a better 3 song run on any album this century.

Day #2
Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim

A couple songs on this were nice to hear again with my coffee this morning, but I just don't enjoy Frank much anymore. I used to really like a couple albums, especially the Duet collections. I've tried again recently and it doesn't click for me these days. I'd like to explain why, but I'm not entirely sure. I think it's that the sound gets old to me real fast. A song or two and I'm good, but a whole album and I'm itching for something else.
Screenshot_2023-01-14-13-10-24-91_04e03425392fc155c003bf4da0c67f74.jpg

Back