The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Day 114

659122e710381dea1b3f442f170b7a70e5ac60d4

When I first pulled this I thought it was a very perplexing choice - it features none of their MAJOR singles and was, until very recently, their final album. Finally getting to it this morning, I think I can see why it's included here - it definitely feels like a more mature album than their previous disco-pop outings. It's still very much an ABBA album but it feels like there is more substance and complexity here - the militarism critique of "Soldiers" is not something I would expect from ABBA, so that's pretty cool.

I unintentionally listened to the extended version and my favourite song of the outing doesn't actually appear on the original release but as a B-side to the "The Day Before You Came" single. "Cassandra" explores the Cassandra metaphor and may well be my favourite ABBA tune, which I never knew existed before this morning!

Probably closer to a 3.5 than a 3, but rounded down.

Day 115

a2d2e344c72496aa6da5fea6a10af9f561b76cfd

Never even remotely heard of this one before! But the Wikipedia genre tags of industrial rock, dark cabaret, and symphonic metal certainly caught my attention. The first track is a slow burn that had me feeling like I'd been duped for a few minutes, but once the album gets going it goes. Bowie, The Edge, and Mike Patton all cite The Young Gods and their sample-based approach to music as an inspiration. After listening, and reminding myself a few times that this was released in 1989, I can see why - this is super cool stuff. I'm not well-versed in the history of industrial music to know what else was going on around this time, but it certainly sounds to me like this was probably ahead of its time. Some parts definitely sound aged by now, but a lot of it stands up pretty well. Will definitely be revisiting this one! 4/5

Day 114

659122e710381dea1b3f442f170b7a70e5ac60d4

When I first pulled this I thought it was a very perplexing choice - it features none of their MAJOR singles and was, until very recently, their final album. Finally getting to it this morning, I think I can see why it's included here - it definitely feels like a more mature album than their previous disco-pop outings. It's still very much an ABBA album but it feels like there is more substance and complexity here - the militarism critique of "Soldiers" is not something I would expect from ABBA, so that's pretty cool.

I unintentionally listened to the extended version and my favourite song of the outing doesn't actually appear on the original release but as a B-side to the "The Day Before You Came" single. "Cassandra" explores the Cassandra metaphor and may well be my favourite ABBA tune, which I never knew existed before this morning!

Probably closer to a 3.5 than a 3, but rounded down.
Actually, this is the only really good album by ABBAimo. Yes, it’s more mature than what you expect from them, but also has a deeper coherent theme (divorce, growing apart, growing older and the ghosts of past lives). No huge hits, just a bunch of great songs. I usually say that the compilation ABBA Gold is the only ABBA album you need, but this is a close second.

Day 116

3cc8ff4c51120529731f7aa82d01f27b6acd579f

I don't think I've ever listened to The Kinks outside of radio play or media placement before this. They're one of those bands I've been "sort of" aware of for a while. I knew of this specific album's existence due to it being an early volume in the 33 1/3 book series and now I've some more reason to seek that one out - this is fabulous stuff! Very enjoyable first listens - twice back-to-back! "Do You Remember Walter" is my favourite song right out of the gate, but there were no songs I didn't enjoy! 4+/5 - I can see this one climbing upon further listens.

Day 118

f9b54a78a968633b32d0a2f930ed3f9cb31406a3

Pretty much a perfect pop-rock album. I frequently make the mistake of thinking it a key album of the 80s but, of course, it pre-dates the 80s - which speaks even more highly of its achievement, I think, in setting a strong tone for many other releases that followed it. It's not an album I turn to very often, but every time I do I'm reminded that it's just so damn good! 5/5

Day 119

77e6af2be61404e22e375e9ce0d8f1ff20280eeb

Well shit, this is quite the comedown after The Kinks, The Stooges, and The Cars back-to-back...

If someone were to ask if I like Beck, I would say yes but I realize I've listened to less than half of his albums by this point - this was a first listen to this one, which I now is beloved by many. I feel like this might be a great listen while driving alone in the dark. It's very well crafted and well produced but didn't really do a whole heck of a lot for me. At least at this time - I wouldn't hesitate to give it another go or two as well. 3/5

If someone were to ask if I like Beck, I would say yes but I realize I've listened to less than half of his albums by this point - this was a first listen to this one, which I now is beloved by many. I feel like this might be a great listen while driving alone in the dark. It's very well crafted and well produced but didn't really do a whole heck of a lot for me. At least at this time - I wouldn't hesitate to give it another go or two as well. 3/5

Yeah I found myself owning 6 Beck albums and was confused because honestly I don’t like his music at all. This was probably the only one that made me pause for thought when purging his stuff.

Day 120

3002bb3aec4388a95e15cbd08f013257e0b0e0f5

Here's another one of those bands I've circled around for years but never properly listened to, and that's a damn shame. This is really fun stuff. Another album I'll definitely be revisiting often and another catalogue I'll have to explore further... 4/5

I love this band and this album in particular. There’s something that’s always really fresh about a band just beginning and having all the ideas and throwing them all into everything without inhibition. Their first four or five albums upto and including Rings Around The World are all essential for me!

Day 122

View attachment 174208

The album that propelled Alanis out of dance-pop obscurity! "Ironic" may not actually be ironic, but this album is bloody brilliant nonetheless. 5/5

Eeep! Looks like I did my ratings for a-ha later than I thought, and Alanis was actually day 123!

122 is and RHCP album that I'll listen to later this weekend - today's gonna be new releases all day.

Got 1989, my first T-Swift album in a while and the first with a Taylor’s Version. I’m a Swiftie newbie; should I listen to the og or the Taylor’s Version? I know there’s a moral victory with the latter.

Back