The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alright, I bit - I was hoping to be able to do a frequency slightly less than one a day, but let's see how goes!

Starting right out the gate with an album I've never listened to but know a goodly number of the songs from. And one of the most iconic covers of all time to boot:

View attachment 163938

Will put it on the ol' Stupify once this Godspeed album is over.

I know most of the songs on this album, but have never actually listened to it as an album. In fact, I don't know that I've ever listened to any proper album by Elvis.

"Blue Suede Shoes" is a dynamite album opener - the count-in and the energy really draw the listener in. It's hard not to boogie to this, even when sitting down.

Oh then that flatulent bass comes in and the ghosts of the Werewolves of London start hooting.

I know most of the songs on this album, but have never actually listened to it as an album. In fact, I don't know that I've ever listened to any proper album by Elvis.

"Blue Suede Shoes" is a dynamite album opener - the count-in and the energy really draw the listener in. It's hard not to boogie to this, even when sitting down.
I’ve grown to appreciate Elvis the older I get. From Elvis in Memphis is a desert island disc for me.

Sound of Silver is very devo too. There’s something else there I can’t quite place. I like the housey aphex twin feel of the break. Seriously, I’d like to know what Mr Byrne thinks of Mr Murphy. I’d also like them to collaborate.

Ooooh vibes…. Nifty.

New York, I Love You But You’re Bringing Me Down is like a Leonard Cohen song on a bender.

I absolutely LOVE this album. It’s reminds me of McCraven’s In These Times in that it feels very much like a Russian nesting doll. It feels like a fractal made of eighties music through an edm filter.

I’m very impressed.

"I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry (Over You)" and to a lesser extent "Just Because" have opened my eyes to the fact that Elvis likely had far more influence on the vocal cadences of a couple of East Vancouver performers I've really loved than I ever truly realized.

Someone Great is like a weird Aphex Twin trance vs Kraftwerk version of PDQ Bach. Quirky and out there blipping madness. The melody is very eighties pop. Kind of a dark break up song isn’t it. It’s a very strange song. It’s also kind of that dark bright The Cure feel. I love it.

Y’all should have made it clearer to me that I should be listening to James Murphy.

If you had asked me an hour ago, Inwould have told you that PJ Harvey was the best discovery so far…. That’s no longer true.

If the house wasn’t trying to sleep, I would blast this over the system and be dancing like a junior high school girl in the record room.
LCD Soundsystem is the shit and James Murphy is just as big a music nerd as the rest of us. Check out his non-album single “Losing My Edge”…

I am kinda confused, what is this thread? @Lee Newman is just gonna listen to/give thoughts on the 1001 albums to hear before you die?

What’s the group project poll regarding. I feel like I missed a page or something.
Well, either way, I’m gonna post thoughts on 1001 albums. The poll is regarding will a group listen to the same records at the same time? All are welcome to do with it as they will.

I’m having fun either way.

I have a DJ buddy who hosts a totally free-form radio show and he plays North American Scum more times than he doesn't...

If you have a chance, check him out. Always a fun show. His name's Rob but as this is a public radio station housed at a college, he sometimes has volunteers/trainees host...

New York, I Love You But You’re Bringing Me Down is like a Leonard Cohen song on a bender.

I absolutely LOVE this album. It’s reminds me of McCraven’s In These Times in that it feels very much like a Russian nesting doll. It feels like a fractal made of eighties music through an edm filter.

I’m very impressed.
I’m jealous you get to experience that album for the first time. I was going to college in NYC when this album came out. The production company I interned for did the North American Scum music video. I feel like LCD Soundsystem, TV On The Radio and Animal Collective made up a huge part of my college listening.

I really love their album This is Happening too. As usual, @Yer Ol' Uncle D is right. Don’t think they have made a bad album

this is a great idea, I'm in!
my first album is probably one of my favorite ever.
d64cdeaad56a5bba451950824595e5b007124cd9

Back