The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My start yesterday ( before this thread startet) was this:
640x640.jpg

I saw the link a few days ago and have started my own little(!) journey, but would be down for a group thing once the details are sorted out.

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle has been my favourite album so far, brilliant from beginning to end!
Such an awesome record

North American Scum is like a Fat Boy Slim vs. American Utopia mashup
So funny you would use those two examples together, I just read this yesterday....

Unless you knew that, and it's why you did.

So funny you would use those two examples together, I just read this yesterday....

Unless you knew that, and it's why you did.
I saw it early this morning after that post and was like is the universe spying on my brain.

Signed up today and think it would be a lot of fun to do a group, so I'm in. But to check it out I started my own and it gave me David Bowie - Hunky Dory for today. An album I love and listen to on the reg. But it's fun to listen to it with more serious intent rather than just for fun.

I've always thought that he sounds the most like Paul McCartney with his voice on this one, but where the pop gives way to more artistic experimentation is where that small similarity ends. This is an album that is between sounds and normally those fall short for me as they're albums from musicians searching for an identity. That's not the case on this masterpiece in which each track could have made an album that was otherwise filler. This one has no filler. It has a maturity and confidence in it's dabbling with a more pop sound while refusing to just pump out another record that sounds like everything else. It's a bridge from the pop of the 60s to the brown acid hangovers of the 70s. Every song seems to have left it's mark on something that has come since. I adore the forward vocals on the album, and the separation and clarity of the instruments in the mix. I could listen to this on repeat all day and be happy.
Screenshot_2023-01-13-10-03-14-29_04e03425392fc155c003bf4da0c67f74.jpg

Tonight:
British_steel_deluxe.jpg
Judas Priest - British Steel

An album I am unfamiliar with by a band I have basic knowledge of...

Rapid Fire - Well I know this came out in 1980, so I'm pretty sure this is what thrash looked like or what thrash came from. I'm not familiar with their work prior to this, but I know that Metal was sludgey before this (Re: SABBATH). It's kind of hard to imagine that this was the touchstone that this is where metal began its reign. It also sounds dated... Sabbath on the other hand sounds great no matter what time. Also, absolutely certain this would benefit from the ol hifi at home.

Metal Gods - I mean they are now, a little presumptuous back in the day. (Which is pretty Metal) This grooves a little more, a little more sludgy not as bright. This sounds like something that might have caught on. Still very dated production. Halford is in your face which is fine, but not really the way I like music to be mixed... Yeah, by the time this gets to the solo, you hear everything that came on MTV and your local hard rock station for about five years there.

Last edited:
Breaking the Law - well I know this song. I'm not sure I understood it was Priest. Fun song. Love the sound effects. It's becoming clear that I think I like sludgy stuff more than other stuff. I do remember really digging Screaming for Vengeance and Ram it down back in the day.

Grinder - yup, more proto hair metal.

I think this album might suffer from a bit of stuff that came later is better. If this was a touchstone then things ran off of it. Hell, the allmusic review starts off by comparing it to Metallica's Self-Titled, which is odd. I don't think this was as commercial of a reach, but I could be wrong. I also understand from reading up on it that they may have been more self indulgent prior to this, which may be more up my alley. I mean when you think of bands like Dream Theater - that's self indulgent to a stupid degree and I love it. Ozzy always had these guitarists that took over and well just showed off. While not actually metal, I always gavitated to Steve Vai and Joe Satriani kind of bluesy metal stuff.

United - well this is just awful. Why is there a freaking soccer anthem on this? THIS WAS A SINGLE??? When did News of the World come out, is this Freddy Mecury's fault?

Last edited:
I think this album might suffer from a bit of stuff that came later is better. If this was a touchstone then things ran off of it. Hell, the allmusic review starts off by comparing it to Metallica's Self-Titled, which is odd. I don't think this was as commercial of a reach, but I could be wrong. I also understand from reading up on it that they may have been more self indulgent, which may be more up my alley. I mean when you think of bands like Dream Theater - that's self indulgent to a stupid degree and I love it. Ozzy always had these guitarists that took over and well just showed off. While not actually metal, I always gavitated to Steve Vai and Joe Satriani kind of bluesy metal stuff.

United - well this is just awful. Why is there a freaking soccer anthem on this? THIS WAS A SINGLE??? When did News of the World come out, is this Freddy Mecury's fault?
1977... yes, I blame this on Queen.

I've already decided this is getting a listen in headphones in the morning. I don't think the ecoxgear speaker I use to listen to music at work is doing it any favors. It's bright and thin sounding, which is not something that is usually a problem with the speaker.

Living After Midnight - HELL YEAH... this song rules! Like this should be the theme song of Sunset Drive and the Viper Room and all that... Motley Crue pretty much lived this song as a creed.

As The Rage starts with a pseudo reggae riff.. it occurs to me that one of the things I'm really not liking about this album is it doesn't flow, it just feels like a bunch of songs they threw together. Once The Rage gets going though, I like the riff and Halford is actually showing off those lungs of his finally.

Steeler ends the album proper with some of that protothrash that started off the album.

Unlike Sound of Silver which I knew was getting 5 stars about halfway through,.. this is gonna need another listen before I decide how I feel about it. Standouts were Rapid Fire, Metal Gods, Breaking the Law, Living After Midnight, The Rage and Steeler - these were all pretty fun and I like. Which means everything else (a full third of the album) feels like filler. It also feels a little disjointed and like a band that hadn't quite got there all the way yet. In fact, I would posit they were two years and two albums away from getting there.

Was Red, White and Blue a eurovision entry? am i being punked. What the fuck is this and why did they decide it needed to be added to this album.

Back