That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

Are you kidding me?! $500+ for a 7"? Why? I paid $8.

Yup. I got it for $10 when she opened for Conor Oberst, and I had her sign it so I figure mines worth around $1 million!

It’s funny as someone who used to hit up a lot of Goodwills years ago, I have found records that have jumped in price from like 5 years ago. I’ll post pics later in this thread because I’m moving my records to a bigger room in my house I’m a bit busy but I’ve had stuff that I thought sounded great I’ve never heard of and it was like 99 cents on Discogs then I look it up now it’s $50. I went to this ladies house selling her brothers entire collection. My GF met her and she thought she was doing me a favor. So we get there and 98% of these records were scratched up. The woman explained her kids would play with the records and stuff anyway I find like 2 records that look interesting but one in particular I look up was $20. I go yesterday to look it up because I found it in my cube and it’s $400.

Mitski seem to have a Phoebe-effect atm. Wasn't this lurking for quite some time in the store before it finally sold out? Even the standard pressing seem to go for a premium now...

Mitski - Be The Cowboy

Url: Mitski - Be The Cowboy

And I picked this up at a sale in the VMP store for about $16.

Mitski - Bury Me At Make Out Creek

Url: Mitski - Bury Me At Make Out Creek

EDIT: - And I seemed to forget it wasn't 2022 anymore - I thought this post I quoted was more recent than it really was.

Just a heads up, but some recent repress of Bury Me At Make Out Creek has been hitting stores this month.

I saw that it was getting a repress in some store email a few weeks ago, but when I went to the page it was 404'd - but figured something was up about it.

Some releases have made their way into Discogs and are going for about $30 shipped.

This album was unobtainium for a while - and not just the VMP or other variants.

Last edited:
Why is this so expensive? I literally bought a copy new from Acoustic Sounds for $25 a couple days ago. Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera (Vinyl Records) For Sale at Discogs Marketplace

Maybe it just came back in stock, only 2 sales since July 2022 and only 2 sellers, so I wouldn’t call it expensive but rather just asking for what it sold at last.

Or the same kinda fuckknobs who try and sell albums for $50+ on Cogs that are available direct from the artist for $25...

Here's some interesting random jumps from my collection

This one was absolutely a cheap Magnolia option at some point and may still be to be honest - median $40 with cheapest Discogs of $85

This is the secret KPG cut - it may be just because it's hard to tell but it's creeping up.

This one seems to pop up on random restocks still but...yeah I should probably sell this or give it to my friend

This hits the "teens from 10 years ago earning a paycheck and collecting now" vibes - great OST though

The Hot Rod Renaissance is upon us

Have to beleive a repress of this should be in the queue.

This is one of the best non-audiophile records in my collection.

*shrug*

Wow I am shocked about that Hunger Games press. I remember trying to sell it for 10 bucks a few years ago and couldn't get a bite

This is a good album, had no idea it's been getting expensive

I don't know why this one shot up so much. I mean it's a good album, but these prices are crazy. Multiple listed for $250, median listed at $195

This one also jumped up significantly. Median at $158, which is inline with the lowest US price listed shipping from elsewhere.
Honestly though, this is 100% a reference album for me, and I don't know what it would need to jump to for me to sell it.

OH, here's another great one! So the backstory here was that I ordered this from VMP for $25. Instead of the Mofi version, they sent the run of the mill version that was available on Amazon for $14. VMP refused to give me a full refund, and I think they gave me $10-15 dollars back. I was able to hunt down the Mofi one for maybe $40-50. Def not more than $50.
Lowest listing now is $130, median at $150. And they wonder why I was pissed when they sent an Amazon copy. That was truly the beginning of the end of VMP for me.

This one also jumped up significantly. Median at $158, which is inline with the lowest US price listed shipping from elsewhere.
Honestly though, this is 100% a reference album for me, and I don't know what it would need to jump to for me to sell it.
Wow, I have this and completely agree. It’s a killer record, my favorite of the Louis albums I have.

Back