That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

I'm going through my collection and listing stuff on discogs and found out this one went crazy.

Vinyl still isn't an investment though because I listed about 70 records for an average of $10 before I hit this one, haha.

I'm going through my collection and listing stuff on discogs and found out this one went crazy.

Vinyl still isn't an investment, I listed about 70 records for an average of $10 before I hit this one, haha.
Oh wow, I just listened to my copy of this the other night. I figured it was a fairly common record 😳 guess I'm glad I got mine when I did!

And just as a side note, the pressing is not nearly good enough to be going for that much money imo. It isn't the worst pressing I own but far from the best.

Vinyl still isn't an investment though because I listed about 70 records for an average of $10 before I hit this one, haha.

Wow! This dropped to around $13 a while ago on several deals. Never though it would go for this much!

Thank you for pointing this out, @Kris. Probably going to put mine up. Strike while the iron is hot.

I sold so many records on Discogs/eBay at the end of last year before my daughter was born. I know I wouldn't have had time to play test but, if I had sold a lot of those same records now, I'd have made a lot more money. Vinyl secondary market is wild!!!

I had this version, and I don’t remember the issue, but something cosmetic with the sleeve, I think I sold it for like $20 last year. 🙄

Being Sun Ra, this one may not be the definition of common, but it's a grey market Scorpio repress of one of his better-known albums that I'd never seen an NM copy of for much more than the $20 CAD I paid for mine until I looked at the Discogs listing today. Madness! There are Sun Ra records I would consider paying these prices for, but not one of these pressings!

this guy.

I got mine in a small box of records at an estate sale (whole box was $5), and regularly see it in cheap bins at shops and garage sales. maybe it's just because they were from Austin so everyone had it? and maybe the spike corresponded with Roky passing in 2019.

anyway, all the ones listed are from $55-200ish now. it's a bizarre album- called "Live" but is really just odds and ends from the studio with weird cheers obviously dubbed in. the label did it as a cash grab, and critics called it laughable but great. Roky went into the hospital shortly after this press and the band broke up.

13th Floor Elevators - Live
Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 7.19.02 PM.png

Back