That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

Looks like copies of Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West are all getting listed north of $150 on Discogs now.

Hey, I saw a copy of that one was my Barnes and Noble the other day. Didn't realize that got pricy/hard to find. Go figure.

These used to be out of print for quite some time but have all been recently reissued. This is from a very small local record label here in Oklahoma called Indian Records, Inc.

IMG_20210630_195511_336.jpgIMG_20210630_195511_163.jpg

I was so surprised to see my local record store, Guestroom Records, have an entire wall shelf displaying the entire collection from the label. These were all recorded in the 60's and 70's and are priceless archives of real traditional Native American music and a lot of it is now lost.

Here's the label site: Original Archive Collection – 22 LP Records

My record store was selling them all at 7 bucks each. Not bad at all! As a Native American myself (Seminole and Creek), this entire series of albums warms my heart.

These used to be out of print for quite some time but have all been recently reissued. This is from a very small local record label here in Oklahoma called Indian Records, Inc.

View attachment 104402View attachment 104403

I was so surprised to see my local record store, Guestroom Records, have an entire wall shelf displaying the entire collection from the label. These were all recorded in the 60's and 70's and are priceless archives of real traditional Native American music and a lot of it is now lost.

My record store was selling them all at 7 bucks each. Not bad at all! As a Native American myself (Seminole and Creek), this entire series of albums warms my heart.
That collection looks so amazing. Sadly it's $20 more than the collection itself to ship it my way.

That collection looks so amazing. Sadly it's $20 more than the collection itself to ship it my way.
that's weird -- assuming you could do media mail, and i don't see why one couldn't, it'd be what, 5 packages of 4 records each? so, 20-25$ total? i find it so annoying when companies try to make their money back on shipping.

that's weird -- assuming you could do media mail, and i don't see why one couldn't, it'd be what, 5 packages of 4 records each? so, 20-25$ total? i find it so annoying when companies try to make their money back on shipping.
Canada ma man, no media mail just bitter bitter tears and a zillion dollars worth of shipping and brokerage fees...

Media is available for the US, it's $10.57.

And to think I PIFed my copy away 😄
Happened to me with mf doom's king gheedora record. Pif'd it during pifsgiving.... dude dies and the record is suddenly OOS/OOP everywhere and going for 100+. Oh well at least it went to a good home where it would be listened to (and presumably the paper soldier cutouts played with)

View attachment 104402View attachment 104403

These look absolutely amazing! Any idea if they are available to stream? Will have to look into these!

These look absolutely amazing! Any idea if they are available to stream? Will have to look into these!
I honestly don't know. I don't use streaming services...

I found this though:

That youtube channel has a few more you can listen to. A lot of them are older powwow songs. My family powwow dance. I used to do men's fancy dance but I can't wear the regalia anymore because my back was injured in 2 rear end car wrecks two years apart.

This is really good stuff. I'm glad people are interested in them.

Also I made a mistake and said that they were reissues when in fact they are all brand new old stock from the 60's and 70's I believe. That's what I was told anyway from the store. The son of the man who first started the label took over and he decided to stop running the business so these are definitely the last ones people can grab.

nah, i never listened to it, i have the flacs. i'm glad someone who'll listen to it has it instead of it just getting dusty on the shelf

Back