That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

So one that's more of a "if you want this and see this at retail you may want to grab it" as opposed to the true meaning of the topic but the US version of the exceptional "If Beale Street Could Talk OST" is OOS it seems and sales history of trending up a bit. Only one copy on eBay and one on Discogs both in three digits, cheaper to import the UK version at this point.

Are they repressing Daft Punk's RAM? How does an album like that go oop?
Whaaaat. Just looked at the prices it goes for, that is INSANE. There was a time when these were being sold everywhere, almost as an introduction to buying vinyl. I paid £10 for my copy years ago including shipping, they were basically giving them away.

Whaaaat. Just looked at the prices it goes for, that is INSANE. There was a time when these were being sold everywhere, almost as an introduction to buying vinyl. I paid £10 for my copy years ago including shipping, they were basically giving them away.
If I were brave enough to sell on Discogs, I would have parted with my copy already.

Bloody hell, I did not expect to see this much of a mark-up for the VMP Pheobe Bridger - Punisher exclusive....

Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 15.56.02.png

Soooooooo given some of the...let’s charitably say “weirdness” in Discogs valuation, at what point do we start discounting Discogs as an authoritative pricing source?

It’s tough since a lot of retailers and individual sellers still use it pretty strongly to inform their prices. With that said, if anyone is using it as their only source they’re likely misvaluing their goods in some direction.

I’d probably argue that Ebay sales minus x% for fees (for sellers) is a better single metric but iffier to see in one place (with popsike for historical data).

Edit: Just as an example, the black (standard) pressing of Marina and the Diamonds “Froot” is a $25 median record on Discogs and some people recently have solid it for that there, likely based on that info and a lack of other posted items. In the last six months, over ten copies of it have sold on EBay between 70 and 120 dollars both BIN and bidding. Discogs is pretty good for items traded at high volumes or those with stable values but not for tracking quick changers or items with lower trading volumes

Last edited:
Whether we like it or not, the second hand market for records has gone wild. We can probably write academically on the true value of a record, considering all contexts, but there are people gladly paying $80+ for records that went for $25 a year ago.

It will ease once people have other places to spend their disposable income (and time) again. In fact I fully expect to see a flooded marketplace once people realize they want to raise cash for vacations, concert tickets etc. again
Newsflash...people are already doing those things lately and shit is still going crazy.

There will definitely be money that was going to records that goes to other hobbies and activities but I expect it to be a lot more segmented. Like there are probably a lot of people who are getting into this hobby who have invested in set ups or gained a new passion and will keep collecting. Plus, more out of structural limitations than anything, vinyl hasn't experienced a production based market flood yet (like, say, baseball cards...), Which should help avoid too much of a crash yet.

I would also think the experience will vary a ton by genre, age, etc. The overlap between Phoebe Bridgers variant collectors and craft one step collectors, as people buying to listen too, is really small for instance.

Newsflash...people are already doing those things lately and shit is still going crazy.

I think that might be true for you guys in the US but we're pretty much still under lockdown here in Europe. Can't see being able to go to see a concert or sports game live until next year. Not sure if I'll leave the country on a family holiday this year.

Until that's all back to normal I would expect it to remain crazy.

Lol oh my! I got Have One On Me for like $20 a couple of years ago, Ys for even less and they were absolutely everywhere! Drag City doesn’t really let things stay OOP for a long time though right?
It's proooobably a temporary covid-induced thing, but who can really say?

Back