That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

I know this has been talked about ad nauseum but I have a specific question about it....

The Beatles Mono box....okay, I have it and it is great. I bought it when they were in stock (forget what I paid - less than $200). Like I said, I've seen people talk about and how expensive it sells for now but I never paid attention to the numbers thrown out. I just looked....holy hell! It's gone for ~$1K at its highest on Discogs!

Am I missing something? I haven't bought a Beatles album in a bit 'cause I've got 'em but aren't all the mono albums singularly easy enough to find? Is it just the box, collection, book that pushes the value/desire so high?

I know this has been talked about ad nauseum but I have a specific question about it....

The Beatles Mono box....okay, I have it and it is great. I bought it when they were in stock (forget what I paid - less than $200). Like I said, I've seen people talk about and how expensive it sells for now but I never paid attention to the numbers thrown out. I just looked....holy hell! It's gone for ~$1K at its highest on Discogs!

Am I missing something? I haven't bought a Beatles album in a bit 'cause I've got 'em but aren't all the mono albums singularly easy enough to find? Is it just the box, collection, book that pushes the value/desire so high?
No, they are all gone except for Cogs listings.

The box sets? That I know. Are you saying you couldn't buy a mono copy of AHDN or MMT or Revolver, etc on its own these days?

d/r I see @dhodo response. I wasn't sure if you just meant the set. Got it.

Glad I'm not looking for them then.
I missed out on the box by about 3 months and then didn't think the monos n would just vanish like that. I mean I'm sure they'll be repressed a zillion times over but I wish I had grabbed Revolver and Rubber Soul.

I missed out on the box by about 3 months and then didn't think the monos n would just vanish like that. I mean I'm sure they'll be repressed a zillion times over but I wish I had grabbed Revolver and Rubber Soul.
And those two were the easiest to find I thought @Mather besides mono masters

it is crazy how fast they disappeared though

And those two were the easiest to find I thought @Mather besides mono masters

it is crazy how fast they disappeared though
I would think though, that once there is some daylight from the 50th anniversary rereleases, that some mono edition will come back into print. It would be hard to think that those in charge of the Beatles will let more than a year or two go by without trying to capitalize on their legacy without some new product or repress.

I would think though, that once there is some daylight from the 50th anniversary rereleases, that some mono edition will come back into print. It would be hard to think that those in charge of the Beatles will let more than a year or two go by without trying to capitalize on their legacy without some new product or repress.
Yeah I've been well served by the box sets, I'm happy with White, Abbey and the double Peppers (even though it's stereo). But I don't think there's any significant anniversary coming up for Revolver at least for a few years so I don't think that's gunna see a box set release soon...

This is kind of a bewildering one. Is this really rare or is it just Discogs prices being strange? This definitely was not rare a while ago when I added it to my wantlist.

This is kind of a bewildering one. Is this really rare or is it just Discogs prices being strange? This definitely was not rare a while ago when I added it to my wantlist.
That album is dope.
When We Two Parted is one of my favorite songs ever.

I'm having trouble finding it available anywhere. Looks like people taking advantage of that. Worth noting nobody has paid those inflated prices through discogs yet. Don't know if anywhere has it cheaper though.

Last edited:
Back