That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

I'm still stunned by how much some of the Beatles 2014 Mono titles go for. On one hand, I get it - the quality is top notch and they are technically OOS now. But the press counts on them are likely north of 20K - just damn impressive how much demand there was for these.

I lucked out and snagged the mono box back in 2015 when Amazon CA had a price error. Think I paid ~$90 USD for the set. That one is still sealed; I had another one that I bought when it released and that's the set I play (frequently).

Hoping they do eventually reissue the OOS titles from it. They're THAT good.

I have a few of the 2014 mono editions. Wouldn't mind grabbing a few more, probably have to find them sitting on a retail shelf somewhere.
Good thing I grabbed an extra 'white' album for swapping, I might have to use it.

Yeah, that's a head scratcher. Wilco doesn't seem like the type of band to keep that out of print for long. If I hadn't bought it (probably in the same sale as you) there's no way I'd be spending $70 on it now. (Not because it's not great, but because it's virtually guaranteed to come back in stock.)

Summerteeth might not see a repress until 2024, on its 25th Anniversary.
There will be at least 1 more new Wilco album before that happens.

I think that's because RTJ3 is starting to be recognized as their best release to date.

Most of the people I talk to seem to think that RTJ2 is the best. They're wrong, by the way. RTJ4 is the best. Then 3, 2, 1. 2 and 3 are almost equal. 2 has better stand-out tracks, but 3 is the over-all better record. I would add "in my opinion" to this statement, but it's fact. 🤪

I'm still stunned by how much some of the Beatles 2014 Mono titles go for. On one hand, I get it - the quality is top notch and they are technically OOS now. But the press counts on them are likely north of 20K - just damn impressive how much demand there was for these.

I lucked out and snagged the mono box back in 2015 when Amazon CA had a price error. Think I paid ~$90 USD for the set. That one is still sealed; I had another one that I bought when it released and that's the set I play (frequently).

I'll give ya $180 for the sealed box. Double your investment! 😂 😂

I remember coming across by sheer fluke. Paid £15 for it and now you've got this madness (although the highest sake price was only £209) Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine (Vinyl, Europe, 2013) For Sale | Discogs
I'd been trying to get this for the past year, almost grabbed one and then bailed and the price went crazy. Managed to get the MOV black thankfully so at least I've got the original plate pressing.

And yeah @Skeletonframes RTJ 3 has gone nuts. I managed to get the OG teal RTJ 2 w/Boo and thought I was screwed on 3 then I walked into my local last week and they had a mint copy on the wall for $85 CAD (about $60 USD) and I grabbed it.

Still not sure if the RTJ represses are colored or black... I've seen both listed...

Funny timing I just sold my Magical Mystery Tour copy this week. It was one of those where I listed it for a dumb amount and thought "if anyone buys this then I'm okay with parting with it for X dollars".

Funny timing I just sold my Magical Mystery Tour copy this week. It was one of those where I listed it for a dumb amount and thought "if anyone buys this then I'm okay with parting with it for X dollars".
That’s literally the only mono I don’t have. I never bought it since I have a really solid OG mono but I dragged my feet on picking it up until too late. Hopefully they repress them someday but I’m not holding my breath.

Still available here Acoustic Sounds
Fair warning: They’re kind of not great about updating their site inventory. I’ve found a few things (at least five titles off the top of my head) like that on there which I’ve ordered, been charged for, then a few days later cancelled and refunded.

Target has been the go-to for accidentally leaking vinyl reissues as of late haha

No kidding. That one is still on Target, they had the Rilo Kiley. They have some other interesting pre order items there too (Alessia Cara, Brandi Carlile reprint of Firewatchers Daughter) I hadnt seen in many other places

Summerteeth might not see a repress until 2024, on its 25th Anniversary.
There will be at least 1 more new Wilco album before that happens.

I seem to recall some sort of Summerteeth Deluxe Edition being briefly listed on Bullmoose a few months ago, then pulled?

Edit: It was Target: Pre-Order Thread

Well...

Last edited:
I got the MoFI release of Bitches Brew about 3 years ago. It was "limited" in that there were 5000 copies, but it was released in June 2014 and was easy to get in 2017. It's one of my favorite albums and probably the best sounding record in my collection. I got it for around $50 sealed, but the cheapest copy on Discogs is listed at $239 now. Just wild to me how much it escalated in 3 years.
1598494595009.png
edit: It must have been out of 10k copies actually cuz mine is numbered 7620

Seeing a lot of this stuff right now, I think this is another buyers club situation. I went through the other day and found about ten different albums in my collection that just did this in the last couple months. One totally inexplicable sale price with nothing special about the listing. I call shenanigans.

Back