Television

Took me forever, but finally finished The Sopranos. Those last few episodes.. *chef's kiss* People talk about the finale all the time, but none of the think pieces get across how much it can hit in context. Just really masterful work all around on this thing.

Feels weird that I have to find another show to watch now...

Took me forever, but finally finished The Sopranos. Those last few episodes.. *chef's kiss* People talk about the finale all the time, but none of the think pieces get across how much it can hit in context. Just really masterful work all around on this thing.

Not enough talk about Phil Leotardo getting his head ran over.

Looking forward to the next few weeks watching it all unfold. Of course I already know how it ends but I have zero clue as to the larger context.

Not enough talk about Phil Leotardo getting his head ran over.
Putting in spoilers cus I know there are some folks here that haven't watched but

Yes. lmao I love how it doubles as David Chase's continued meta-critique of Sopranos audience bloodlust and just a satisfying end to a character that is a real asshole.

The 11th (!) and final season of Shameless starts on Showtime tonight ... I didn't realize they were filming it already

I am STILL watching Grey's Anatomy. For the love of Britney, that show never ends. I'm on season 11 so i still have more than one hundred episodes to watch... Now I just put it as background noise because nothing interesting happens.

But yesterday i watched the documentary Song Exploder. It's about how musicians wrote some of their hits. It is really, REALLY interesting. First season has Alicia Keys, REM, Ty Dollar Sign and Lin Manuel Miranda; next week there'll be another four episodes: Nine Inch Nails, The Killers, Natalia Lafourcade and Dua Lipa.

Anyone else watched Part One of "Your Honor" starring Bryan Cranston on Showtime last night? I'm curious to know what you thought of the first episode 🤔

Last edited:
But yesterday i watched the documentary Song Exploder. It's about how musicians wrote some of their hits. It is really, REALLY interesting. First season has Alicia Keys, REM, Ty Dollar Sign and Lin Manuel Miranda; next week there'll be another four episodes: Nine Inch Nails, The Killers, Natalia Lafourcade and Dua Lipa.
there is also a podcast , that started before the tv show and is at ep. 198 already

Yea there is a 30 year time jump after book 6. I would assume that's where they would end the show. I havent gotten that far (Book 3 for me) but a friend who has read them all claims book 6 is a solid ending for the show.
started reading the books after the last season and if they have onen season to go wrapping it up after book 6 would be the good way to go. Still enough ground to cover for a season with this book. and it really closes a greater story arc. And before book 7 ( book 9 is not out yet) there is a 30 year time jump. While still having predominantly the same main cast it opens a new story arc that is only hinted at before ( there are some connections to that in the tv show also, using the last season to cover book 6 would be more promising.

It may be impossible for a show to be more 'my shit' than How to With John Wilson. The spiritual successor to Nathan For You that I've been begging for.

The episode on how to cook risotto is off-the-wall hilarious and also made me wamt to cry, which is a sentence I can't say about any other show.

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I was wondering if anyone has a tradition of watching certain movies during the holidays? I was talking with a friend about this the other day, and I got to thinking about what I like to watch over the holidays. My list (in no special order) is below.

White Christmas
The Christmas Chronicles 1 & 2
This Christmas
Polar Express
The Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey version)
Klaus
Jingle Jangle
Rise of the Guardians
Last Holiday
The Muppet Christmas Carol

Open to adding more if you have any suggestions.

Edit: I forgot to add The Santa Clause 1, 2, & 3.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I was wondering if anyone has a tradition of watching certain movies during the holidays? I was talking with a friend about this the other day, and I got to thinking about what I like to watch over the holidays. My list (in no special order) is below.

White Christmas
The Christmas Chronicles 1 & 2
This Christmas
Polar Express
The Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey version)
Klaus
Jingle Jangle
Rise of the Guardians
Last Holiday
The Muppet Christmas Carol

Open to adding more if you have any suggestions.
Wow! That's a lot of movies!

Respect.

Also, Scrooged and Home Alone. But that's just movies I like, not so much a tradition.

There's a movie thread too.

But maybe Christmas episodes of Black Mirror for television (but maybe a different type of "Christmas spirit").

Last edited:

Respect.

Also, Scrooged and Home Alone. But that's just movies I like, not so much a tradition.

But maybe Christmas episodes of Black Mirror for television (but maybe a different type of "Christmas spirit").

Respect.

Oh I forgot there was a movie thread. Thanks, I posted in there too.

Movies or TV shows. I’m curious to what other people watch for “holiday tradition.”

The White Christmas episode of Black Mirror? That was a good episode. If I were to continue with a similar theme of not Christmas-y movies then I guess Die Hard and Gremlins would be good ones to watch.

I was thinking of checking out Krampus and A Christmas Horror Story.

I’ve been watching nothing but Impractical Jokers for the last three weeks while caring for my newborn. I can’t stomach anything dark, gritty, morbid, or even sentimental because I’m like an exposed nerve ending right now and I’ll cry/have a panic attack at the slightest provocation (looking at you The Undoing and you too Toy Story 4). Meanwhile, my wife watches nothing but Grey’s Anatomy when she’s breast feeding and every single episode ends with 12 deaths and 17 soul-crushing Sophie’s Choice moments. Lol.

As I begin the 7th and second to last season of Impractical Jokers, I’m very open to suggestions of light/absurd/bingeable/non-plot reality or reality-ish shows I can half-watch while doing solo baby shifts. I’ve already seen all of Nathan for You, John Wilson, and Joe Pera and my wife and I have Married at First Sight and 90 Day Fiancé already locked down for our joint tv watching. Doesn’t have to be a “great” show, just light, enjoyable stuff with no secret life/death lessons (last ep of John Wilson would fail this requirement lol) or heavy plot (no chance for me to get lost in nuance with a tiny human taking my main attention).

I’ve been watching nothing but Impractical Jokers for the last three weeks while caring for my newborn. I can’t stomach anything dark, gritty, morbid, or even sentimental because I’m like an exposed nerve ending right now and I’ll cry/have a panic attack at the slightest provocation (looking at you The Undoing and you too Toy Story 4). Meanwhile, my wife watches nothing but Grey’s Anatomy when she’s breast feeding and every single episode ends with 12 deaths and 17 soul-crushing Sophie’s Choice moments. Lol.

As I begin the 7th and second to last season of Impractical Jokers, I’m very open to suggestions of light/absurd/bingeable/non-plot reality or reality-ish shows I can half-watch while doing solo baby shifts. I’ve already seen all of Nathan for You, John Wilson, and Joe Pera and my wife and I have Married at First Sight and 90 Day Fiancé already locked down for our joint tv watching. Doesn’t have to be a “great” show, just light, enjoyable stuff with no secret life/death lessons (last ep of John Wilson would fail this requirement lol) or heavy plot (no chance for me to get lost in nuance with a tiny human taking my main attention).
Impractical Jokers is my guilty pleasure (well, not really 'cause I don't feel at all guilty watching it); but it is certainly low brow TV. It always makes me laugh. However, if you haven't watched it yet, do not see the movie. You can find all of the challenge clips on YouTube and the story/acting is, frankly, embarrassing.

Off the top of my head (not reality-ish, but light and funny), check out Tim Robinson's I Think You Should Leave on Netflix.

Impractical Jokers is my guilty pleasure (well, not really 'cause I don't feel at all guilty watching it); but it is certainly low brow TV. It always makes me laugh. However, if you haven't watched it yet, do not see the movie. You can find all of the challenge clips on YouTube and the story/acting is, frankly, embarrassing.

Off the top of my head (not reality-ish, but light and funny), check out Tim Robinson's I Think You Should Leave on Netflix.
That’s my favorite sketch show of the last decade. Or longer. Super stoked for season 2.

Lol. Too late on the movie. Although I was busy changing diapers/making bottles for most of it so I missed a lot of the non-prank stuff. Thankfully. 😂

You def get me here though. I appreciate it.

Stay away from Queer Eye! It’s a great show but always makes me cry happy tears every episode.

My recommendations are Schitt’s Creek, Girlfriends, the IT crowd, and Avatar the Last Airbender (the animated series). I will rewatch these from time to time as a palate cleanser if I watched something scary And need a pick me up.

Back