Television

My wife and I binged the first six episodes of High Fidelity last night. I’ll hold off on reading the reviews that have titles leading me to believe they are less than favorable. I dig it. So does she. Really digging the music, which makes sense since Questlove is the executive music director.
Yeah so I started High Fidelity tonight and already like it quite a bit. I wanted to see what they did different in a tv format but so far it’s very similar to the movie. But I already like Zoe Kravitz a lot so I was into it pretty quickly. Yeah she’s still kind of the sorta jerk that Rob is in the movie (and book) but still incredibly likable. In fact, so far the whole small cast is very likable. The one thing I thought might not have been as good was the music conversations and arguments but so far I have no complaints about that. I dig it.
I binged all of S1 of High Fidelity over the weekend. I really enjoyed it, despite my initial hesitations to watching it at all as the book and movie mean so much to me.
Saw the first 3 episodes of High Fidelity this weekend. I really really like it so far. The music references have felt legit and well written and not distracting, which is always a worry for me when I watch TV/movies about music.

I really liked season 1 of Shrill. I watched the first two episodes of season 2 a while back and it felt way zanier and sillier. Not sure I prefer that ramp up.
Well this all gets me super excited. Im tempted to watch the film again first but likely will end up bingeing the tv show.

I started watching The Outsider, and I’m only two episodes in, but I’m VERY uncomfortable with the creepiness level so far. I’m going to try another episode but I really don’t know how much further I’ll make it. I’m glad it’s not insanely gory or filled with jump scares, but a lot of what’s going on so far is pressing all of my fear and anxiety buttons in the absolute worst way. I kinda love/hate the way the show isn’t shot in a way that’s overtly trying to be scary - it’s very sneaky about being unsettling. Every one of these character seems way too calm and everything is just way too hushed and muted - it’s driving me nuts haha. Maybe that’s just a Stephen King thing.

I’m enjoying how the defense attorney for the Maitlands is the exact same character he was in The Night Of. Can’t get enough of that guy.

But literally everything else about this show makes me so queasy haha. Maybe I’m just too high-strung to enjoy it haha.
Actually, on the topic of The Outsider, there's one thing that I haven't really gotten my head around, which is that (don't read this if you're not at least 4 episodes in):
As far as we see on screen, Ralph and the DA never reveal to Terry, or later to his wife, that they have footage of Terry on camera at the strip club and at the bus station. They only ever talk about the fingerprints and the DNA. Even when Terry's legal team finds the footage of him at the conference, they never say "Whoa, hold on, it's time we put all our cards on the table and show you why we're pursuing this so hard." Once Terry is dead, there are a number of times that Glory is yelling at Ralph about hounding her innocent husband, and never once does he say "Well in my defense, I did see video footage of him covered in blood and flipping off surveillance cameras on the night that you said he was out of town, so..."

This seems like one of those holes that only exists because the plot requires it in order for Glory to be able to continue to hold the rest of the group at arm's length, but it's not how real people would behave once the case has become unexplainable, especially after Terry has died. For that matter, the nature of Terry's death would have put this case all over national news -- the brother of a murdered boy kills the accused murderer DURING the perp walk and also shoots a pregnant cop before being gunned down himself? My suspension of disbelief doesn't extend to the assumption that Nancy Grace doesn't exist in this universe.

Oh, *and* the first episode pretty heavily implies some cannibalism was involved, or at the very least that Terry disemboweled the kid with his teeth, but that part never comes up either when people are harassing the Maitland family. Wouldn't that element of the crime be one of the, I don't know, top 3 things people mention when they talk about it? But it never comes up again after the very first mention. Just odd. Super creepy show though, and very effective at invoking true dread about what is going to happen next.

I started watching The Outsider, and I’m only two episodes in, but I’m VERY uncomfortable with the creepiness level so far. I’m going to try another episode but I really don’t know how much further I’ll make it. I’m glad it’s not insanely gory or filled with jump scares, but a lot of what’s going on so far is pressing all of my fear and anxiety buttons in the absolute worst way. I kinda love/hate the way the show isn’t shot in a way that’s overtly trying to be scary - it’s very sneaky about being unsettling. Every one of these character seems way too calm and everything is just way too hushed and muted - it’s driving me nuts haha. Maybe that’s just a Stephen King thing.

I’m enjoying how the defense attorney for the Maitlands is the exact same character he was in The Night Of. Can’t get enough of that guy.

But literally everything else about this show makes me so queasy haha. Maybe I’m just too high-strung to enjoy it haha.

@nolalady - have a glance at what Eric says about the Outsider. This is the kind of creep it is. Not gory or jumpy. Just subversively creepy.

I much prefer this sort of creepiness than the jump out and scare you. I'm able to suspend disbelief and tell myself it isn't real when I'm not trying to catch my breath because I just jumped up to the ceiling. Lol

Eric, I would say if this is causing you anxiety, the hushed, slow, calm and muted way the characters are, then halt. It continues that way through each episode that has aired. I again have zero idea how this ends or if it gets jumpier and I will absolutely abandon it if it does. But it sounds like you should abandon it now. Lol

@nolalady - have a glance at what Eric says about the Outsider. This is the kind of creep it is. Not gory or jumpy. Just subversively creepy.

I much prefer this sort of creepiness than the jump out and scare you. I'm able to suspend disbelief and tell myself it isn't real when I'm not trying to catch my breath because I just jumped up to the ceiling. Lol

Eric, I would say if this is causing you anxiety, the hushed, slow, calm and muted way the characters are, then halt. It continues that way through each episode that has aired. I again have zero idea how this ends or if it gets jumpier and I will absolutely abandon it if it does. But it sounds like you should abandon it now. Lol

OK now I'm interested in this.

Also Re High Fidelity:

I tried. I really tried but I don't get it. It could have been anything else other than what it is and been better.
To regurgitate the film - completely - is just ugghhh

The acting is fine, Zoe Kravitz is good, and there are even some occasional funny lines, but her character could be so much more. Instead the character is a caricature of an actor play John Cussak playing a character. It's as if the writers thought I know let's set High Fidelity in hip multi-cultural Brooklyn instead of Chicago, which is a problematic thing to begin with, and you know what let's just have the same characters but this time the lead will be a woman who is also into all of the music that old white dudes are into. I'm painting with broad brush strokes but you get the idea. The whole pretentious record store vibe is long dead and even if we accept that it exists in the world created by the show the idea that the 20 something lead would give a fuck about Wings is almost unfathomable. The producers (Questlove included) could have made different choices with the writing and the music and it would've been far more compelling and relatable for the present times.

If I was under 25 and never saw the film it might be more interesting or fun... so maybe it just isn't meant for me.

We watched the first two episodes of the new season of Shrill over the weekend. I don't care much for the roommate character or her B-plot, but Aidy Bryant is a treasure.

I enjoy Luka Jones' performance too, but his character sometimes feels like it's been written a little too broad/zany for the show. It's funny, but it also has a been there/seen that quality, in that I've seen this man-child character before, and this is ostensibly a show about a character who we don't usually get to see.
The roommate is the best part of the show imo.

I really enjoy Shrill, but also feel like its Girls with slightly less girls and a more likeable main character
Saw the first 3 episodes of High Fidelity this weekend. I really really like it so far. The music references have felt legit and well written and not distracting, which is always a worry for me when I watch TV/movies about music.

I really liked season 1 of Shrill. I watched the first two episodes of season 2 a while back and it felt way zanier and sillier. Not sure I prefer that ramp up.
Speaking of:

(don't read this if you're not at least 4 episodes in):

This was a very clever way of getting me to watch up through episode 4, so thanks for that. ;)

It almost felt like things might be moving in a direction in episode 4 that would make it more tolerable for me, but the way it ended and the preview of episode 5 made it clear that that will not be the case.

Part of me wants to power through the 3 remaining episodes, but I’d have to watch them with someone and have them spend the night with me and keep telling me that I’m ok and the show isn’t real life.

Thanks for trying to warn me, @Teeeee!

Watched the first 2 episodes of High Fidelity last night and Im sold. Its certainly just a rehash of the film, and they could of developed Rob's character a bit more, but I honestly really enjoyed them. I love the scene shes she dips into Rumors and it really resonates with me, much to the annoyance of my girlfriend. Great stuff, looking forward to the rest.

This was a very clever way of getting me to watch up through episode 4, so thanks for that. ;)

It almost felt like things might be moving in a direction in episode 4 that would make it more tolerable for me, but the way it ended and the preview of episode 5 made it clear that that will not be the case.

Part of me wants to power through the 3 remaining episodes, but I’d have to watch them with someone and have them spend the night with me and keep telling me that I’m ok and the show isn’t real life.

Thanks for trying to warn me, @Teeeee!
Come on over! I have a guest bedroom. And 2 ferocious guard dogs. (Absolutely not ferocious but the boogy man doesn't know that).

Oh excellent, I'll watch McMillions based on all of you liking it! I read the article and it was great.

Anyone seen the preview for the new HBO show with Merritt Wever? Produced by Phoebe Waller-Bridge? I adore Merritt so I'll be tuning in.

Watched the first 2 episodes of High Fidelity last night and Im sold. Its certainly just a rehash of the film, and they could of developed Rob's character a bit more, but I honestly really enjoyed them. I love the scene shes she dips into Rumors and it really resonates with me, much to the annoyance of my girlfriend. Great stuff, looking forward to the rest.
I’d say that’s true of the first few episodes, keep watching.

I’ve been watching McMillions and there is three more episodes and it’s way too long with filler to heighten everything. I’m gonna see it through though.

Steven Universe is coming to an end soon and I am very sad about it. That show is so special and emotional and great. I’m going to miss it a lot and I can’t wait to rewatch it as a whole soon.

I’ve been watching McMillions and there is three more episodes and it’s way too long with filler to heighten everything. I’m gonna see it through though.

Steven Universe is coming to an end soon and I am very sad about it. That show is so special and emotional and great. I’m going to miss it a lot and I can’t wait to rewatch it as a whole soon.

McMillions is interesting in that I'd vaguely heard about it a while back but didn't understand the depth to the entire thing. Having said that, I can't believe there's 3 episodes left with so little story told so far (and left to go if you're familiar with it at all). Like do we really need to hear from Jerry's brother and his wife again about how he was a cross between Al Capone and whatever random comedian they think of at the time?

There's also a big part of me that feels like it's really trying to paint McDonalds as the poor guys who lost out on this slash a giant ad for the company. How inept does your corporate security have to be that they've been scammed for 15 years (and that early shit was incredibly traceable) before ANYONE notices..? And they had to have it drawn to their attention. Despite dude's brother winning, that entire family winning.. like, I can't believe they had no idea this was going on.

Back