Television

You've got some really eclectic stuff in here! I'm so happy to see someone else loved Please Like Me. It was such a sweet, warm, wonderful and at times heartbreaking show. Tatiana should have one all of the awards for every season of OB. She played a gazillion characters!! And then when she played characters pretending to be other characters? COME ON!!!! She's so good. I agree about Arrested Development. I did NOT enjoy S4 and have not had any desire at all to watch S5. But when it was good, it was golden.

And I used to love the US version of QAF. I think it is ok for things to feel dated. It is a completely different world out there than when it aired. I remember that it was probably THE only show with lesbians on it at that time, even if they were almost an after thought. But it still was so important to me and my friends that we at least had that.
I love Please Like Me, it's one of my all-time favorite shows too.

So...I'm planing to start watching Watchmen next week....but a couple questions.

Should I read the comic beforehand...I haven't read it at all, but is it needed to understand this series?

Should I re-watch the movie. It's been years since I've seen it, I even bought the big, fancy blu ray box set, but haven't watched it yet (yes, i have a problem doing that) - and without reading the comic, I don't know how loyal it is...

Thanks.

So...I'm planing to start watching Watchmen next week....but a couple questions.

Should I read the comic beforehand...I haven't read it at all, but is it needed to understand this series?

Should I re-watch the movie. It's been years since I've seen it, I even bought the big, fancy blu ray box set, but haven't watched it yet (yes, i have a problem doing that) - and without reading the comic, I don't know how loyal it is...

Thanks.
Yes, read the comic (you should do this anyway). No, don’t re-watch the movie (you shouldn’t do this anyway).

Seriously though, if you watch the movie and don’t read the book you will probably be very confused. The movie is slavishly adapted from the book for the most part, but the ending is quite different.

Bring back Terriers
Man, I haven’t thought about that show in a long time, but it sure was great. An all-time great TV performance by Michael Raymond-James.

Terriers is an example of a show that there’s almost no way I would get around to nowadays. With two kids, my wife and I are good for maybe one episode of TV per night, and with so many shows out there it‘s hard to keep up (even if I often feel like there’s nothing to watch). Back in the day, I heard about Terriers and we watched the whole thing in one weekend. If it were today, I’d hear about it and make a sincere mental note to watch it, then I never would. What I’m saying is: if you’re reading this and you haven’t watched Terriers, do yourself a favor and fire it up now. It’s an easy watch and the worst part about it is that when it’s done you’ll be furious that it was only one season.

Yes, read the comic (you should do this anyway). No, don’t re-watch the movie (you shouldn’t do this anyway).

Seriously though, if you watch the movie and don’t read the book you will probably be very confused. The movie is slavishly adapted from the book for the most part, but the ending is quite different.

Luckily the box set comes with a pretty nice hard cover of the GN....and I just got the Kindle version for my phone when I'm at work.

20191110_055411 (2).jpg

Top 10 tv dramas then ... rule is must have finished... so no walking dead etc or doctor who ..

1. Breaking Bad
2. The Wire
3. Game Of Thrones
4. Band of Brothers
5. X-Files
6. Battlestar Galactica
7. Lost
8. Fringe
9. The Pacific
10. The West Wing

That's all I got....

HM's...

Deadwood
Justified
Mad Men
Dexter (only through season 4)
24 (some seasons were a bit rough to get through)

Mr. Robot will be going to my top 10 after this season ends.

And yes....I didn't really like The Sopranos

1. Breaking Bad
2. The Wire
3. Game Of Thrones
4. Band of Brothers
5. X-Files
6. Battlestar Galactica
7. Lost
8. Fringe
9. The Pacific
10. The West Wing

That's all I got....

HM's...

Deadwood
Justified
Mad Men
Dexter (only through season 4)
24 (some seasons were a bit rough to get through)

And yes....I didn't really like The Sopranos

Fringe! Fringe was SOOOOOO good but the last episode was SOOOOOO BAAAAAAD.

Thanks.
Hi Mr. Body - ;)

I have never read the comic nor watched the movie. And I am understanding it. I am quite sure there are easter eggs and fun things mentioned and dropped that I am missing but I am not confused. I'm enjoying it also.

I will probably go back and read/watch the comic/movie. But I wanted to dive in and try to watch it real time. No problems here.

Hi Mr. Body - ;)

I have never read the comic nor watched the movie. And I am understanding it. I am quite sure there are easter eggs and fun things mentioned and dropped that I am missing but I am not confused. I'm enjoying it also.

I will probably go back and read/watch the comic/movie. But I wanted to dive in and try to watch it real time. No problems here.
I know others have indicated that the Snyder’s movie is not the way to go if you wanna delve into the The Watchmen story further and I completely agree with them. I want to emphasize that Snyder made SIGNIFICANT changes to the stories main plot line, while the sentiment is similar (the tone is off too) if you are looking to better understand the world where the TV show takes place stick with the comic. Lindeloff has indicated that the Moore/Gibbons comic is the only work they consider cannon to the current HBO series. The comic book is great. It’s was originally a 12 issue run and can be digested really quickly/easily. It is a wordy comic but it is still a comic. If you are considering watching the movie more power to ya it’s not my favorite but there are worse superhero movies out there (many of them also directed by Snyder) but please do yourself a favor and give the comic a go first. Even if you aren’t a reader or comic book guy it’s worth a read.

I know others have indicated that the Snyder’s movie is not the way to go if you wanna delve into the The Watchmen story further and I completely agree with them. I want to emphasize that Snyder made SIGNIFICANT changes to the stories main plot line, while the sentiment is similar (the tone is off too) if you are looking to better understand the world where the TV show takes place stick with the comic. Lindeloff has indicated that the Moore/Gibbons comic is the only work they consider cannon to the current HBO series. The comic book is great. It’s was originally a 12 issue run and can be digested really quickly/easily. It is a wordy comic but it is still a comic. If you are considering watching the movie more power to ya it’s not my favorite but there are worse superhero movies out there (many of them also directed by Snyder) but please do yourself a favor and give the comic a go first. Even if you aren’t a reader or comic book guy it’s worth a read.

What strikes me as strange with Synder’s Watchmen is people always hype up how slavish he is to his source material but by changing the

climax to revolve around Dr. Manhattan he seems to miss the whole point of the comics. Sure the squid subplot would be hard for anyone to work into a feature film but his choice here was lame.

Needless to say I really don’t like the Watchmen film as a result.

This series is so far the only Moore adaptation / riff worth a damn. The OG comic really doesn’t make sense in any other format as it's really a deconstruction of comics and the idea of superhero as a vehicle for cometary on the 80s. From the writing density to the ethos it really takes apart what a superhero comic can be. This show gets that fundamental point and becomes a deconstruction of filmed superhero media and a commentary on contemporary America. Besides Legion, no other recent superhero media has gone against the Marvel grain, and I love that.

I also helps that we’re in Better Call Saul territory for Lindelof, he’s coming into Season 1 at the height of his powers.

Hi Mr. Body - ;)

That's good to know...I started it up the other night, but got busy with something...it was only the first 10 minutes or so.

Oh....and it's Mr. Boddy - but not really because I'm really just Tim Curry's butler. Who knows what my real name is.

Last edited:
My issue with GN's and comics is that I just can't read them like they need to be read - I can't follow or remember anything. My brother was big into comics and various GN's (Sandman and Cerebus are 2 that I can remember at the moment).

I love reading books, but comics are a bit too distracting to me. So I just never read any...

I'll try to read this one, but I may just have to watch the Motion Comic

That Morning Show with Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon and Steve Carrell will either be must watch or a complete train wreck. The other shows they are pushing (The Post-Apocalyptic Jason Momoa show, and the Emily Dickenson is a quirky fun teen show don't do too much for me.) If the Morning Show ends up being a thing I might sign up for a month and binge it once the whole season has dropped (I believe I read somewhere they are doing an episode a week drop plan). I think this will just be the new normal now with every major media conglomerate dropping their own streaming service.

My friend worked on it and is pushing it pretty hard on facebook as very good. She usually has good taste.

Also, this piece is worth a read:

Isn't that season of Broadchurch just so good???? Are you going to keep going?

Such a good series. I was a bit mixed on S2 and S3, but still good, and S3 provided a satisfying close. Without giving anything away I do appreciate how the seasons link together, while still shifting focus to other mysteries / cases. Similar to other UK and Euro series like Happy Valley or Broen/Bron/The Bridge. I can't think of too many American dramas that pull that off (The Killing tried and largely failed).

Such a good series. I was a bit mixed on S2 and S3, but still good, and S3 provided a satisfying close. Without giving anything away I do appreciate how the seasons link together, while still shifting focus to other mysteries / cases. Similar to other UK and Euro series like Happy Valley or Broen/Bron/The Bridge. I can't think of too many American dramas that pull that off (The Killing tried and largely failed).
I agree. S3 wrapped it up. If one was to watch S2, then definitely continue on with S3. But S1 is perfect as a standalone.

I watched Happy Valley! I was hoping there would be more. Do you know if it is done or if there might be more?

Sounds like I need to check out The Bridge.

Back