Television

The End Of The Fucking World is back tomorrow. Personally I could have left it at season one as it was a great self-contained story. But at the same time, I am excited to see what happens next.

As for other TV shows im watching...does On Cinema count? I’ve gone in a rabbit hole of that stuff. I only wanted to watch Tim Heidecker’s new movie Mister America until I realized it was a spin off from the On Cinema-verse. Now I’m going and watching all those episodes as well as the lengthy Oscar specials. It’s...certainly something. Sometimes I love it, other times I just find it mildly amusing. I never was a fan of Tim And Eric but I love Tim on other things...like podcast appearances on Comedy Bang Bang and also the sort of serious movie The Comedy. I appreciate what he’s doing, even if it’s not always for me.

Also Great British Bake Off (Baking Show) wrapped up the new season last Friday. And although I was pulling for another person, I can’t complain about who won. Now also they’re bringing back Junior Bake Off today, but so far no place here in the US has taken it. So I’ll have to find it by other means... it’s certainly not as compelling as the original, but there’s some charm watching little British kids talking and baking things (I have seen one of the original seasons when it was on BBC).

edit: oh yes and last night’s Mr Robot was a tense one, with a nice little spin on it (though I won’t spoil what in case people don’t know). Haven’t caught up with the newest Watchmen yet but I got the volume one soundtrack in the mail today. I love the music, and am still really curious to see just where in the hell this show is going plot-wise.
My reaction to the GBBO winner announcement.

I was not pleased with the finale episode for GBBO at all. Who won was fine. I didn’t like the emotional games they played with the non-winners and it was extremely disappointing.
I keep seeing people say that, but I kind of disagree. One of them did generally badly and the criticism was warranted I thought. The whole “my parents may not make it” thing was a bit much - especially when they were asked about it again - like it felt so cheap.

generally I think the newer seasons have kept the spirit of the show, but I do have some criticisms. The new hosts are not as good as the originals. They never seem truly helpful to the bakers; instead just kind of irritating, which is a disappointment. The more bits they do also just kinda annoys me. Oh and Prue is no Mary Berry. I think she can be too harsh, in a sly way, and it rubs me the wrong way. Still though, for the most part, the show feels in line with what it was.

@Woob_woob - I know you are a Shameless fan. Are there any others on here? The US version. I am watching S9 now on Netflix. So yes, I'm very late to all the conversations. I do know this is the season with Fiona's departure. That isn't a spoiler, it was all over the news.

Anyway. I got to the episode in which
Ian goes to prison and Mickey is his roommate.
I yelled, ""OHMYGOD" when it happened. I did NOT see that coming. Is there more to that story line in this season? Or was he off doing Gotham and not seen much in the rest of the season?

@Woob_woob - I know you are a Shameless fan. Are there any others on here? The US version. I am watching S9 now on Netflix. So yes, I'm very late to all the conversations. I do know this is the season with Fiona's departure. That isn't a spoiler, it was all over the news.

I yelled, ""OHMYGOD" when it happened. I did NOT see that coming. Is there more to that story line in this season? Or was he off doing Gotham and not seen much in the rest of the season?

My wife and I are huge Shameless fans... The actor who plays Ian (Cameron Monaghan) was originally planning on leaving the show like Emmy Rossum did but changed his mind ans will be back full time for this upcoming season....

Not really, but hes supposed to be back this upcoming season

My wife and I are huge Shameless fans... The actor who plays Ian (Cameron Monaghan) was originally planning on leaving the show like Emmy Rossum did but changed his mind ans will be back full time for this upcoming season....
Not really, but hes supposed to be back this upcoming season

Shameless is sometimes one of those shows that I just have on in the background because I get a bit bored with it. I am not finding it to be that way this season. I'm really liking it. The kids feel more cohesive. They're calling Fiona on her BS. Lip is barely hanging on. He and Ian made me cry with their brotherly love. Kevin and V have a great story line going with the bar. Deb is being a badass. I just really like this season so far.

Shameless is sometimes one of those shows that I just have on in the background because I get a bit bored with it. I am not finding it to be that way this season. I'm really liking it. The kids feel more cohesive. They're calling Fiona on her BS. Lip is barely hanging on. He and Ian made me cry with their brotherly love. Kevin and V have a great story line going with the bar. Deb is being a badass. I just really like this season so far.
I really enjoy all the characters in that show so even when its dragging I'm still hooked

My reaction to the GBBO winner announcement.

I was team Anyone But Alice so in that sense I was happy, but was pulling for Steph so was pretty gutted when everything fell apart for her. David was a consistently good baker throughout the entire season, especially with his run of 2nd places in technicals so I think he was deserving.

I was team Anyone But Alice so in that sense I was happy, but was pulling for Steph so was pretty gutted when everything fell apart for her. David was a consistently good baker throughout the entire season, especially with his run of 2nd places in technicals so I think he was deserving.
Yeah, I was really hoping for Steph but she definitely dropped the ball with her performance in the final. I wouldn't have minded Alice winning but she never really stood out on a consistent basis as mush as Steph.

Kev will always be my favorite character... He's the best

We started Succession. I think we're halfway through S1 and hit a burnout point already. I know we're not supposed to like any of the characters, but I don't love to hate any of them either.

For now we're back to the easy-to-watch Alone. I don't see many people mention that one, but I've found each season pretty watchable. I'm sure we'll venture back to Succession at some point, since my wife is pretty much couch bound for a few more weeks.

We started Succession. I think we're halfway through S1 and hit a burnout point already. I know we're not supposed to like any of the characters, but I don't love to hate any of them either.

For now we're back to the easy-to-watch Alone. I don't see many people mention that one, but I've found each season pretty watchable. I'm sure we'll venture back to Succession at some point, since my wife is pretty much couch bound for a few more weeks.
I found that I couldn't binge Succession. I had to slowly absorb it. Cause they are horrible people. Lol

The Succession binge v. not-binge convo has me thinking.

What characteristics make a show binge worthy and what makes it more of a slow digest? And do the tv execs recognize these characteristics and seek them out?

So for Succession, I think it is how horrible the characters are. Or for Handmaid's Tale, it is so intense, I just can't watch more than 1 at a time. Or for Pose, I love it so much, I want to absorb it before I move on to the next one. Whereas other shows that I love, I fly through.

The Succession binge v. not-binge convo has me thinking.

What characteristics make a show binge worthy and what makes it more of a slow digest? And do the tv execs recognize these characteristics and seek them out?

So for Succession, I think it is how horrible the characters are. Or for Handmaid's Tale, it is so intense, I just can't watch more than 1 at a time. Or for Pose, I love it so much, I want to absorb it before I move on to the next one. Whereas other shows that I love, I fly through.
Yeah I think something like The Handmaid’s Tale would not work as a binge (and I binged a number of episodes last season to catch up). It’s way too much to handle for hours on end (even when you’re taking breaks and whatnot). Other shows feel less binge-able when they’re really complex or deep or something, with enough substance and story to really get you thinking about it heavily for a week.

A show almost designed to be binged is The End Of The Fucking World, or Living With Yourself, or Undone. All of those have fairly short episodes where each one sets up the next episode perfectly and leaves you hanging so you just want to keep it going. I think the length is part of why something is binge-able, also the way the story is told. Shows like those are written so that each episode amps up and amps up, with cliffhangers at the end of every single one, and opening moments that take place right after the previous one’s end. It’s fun and all, but it also kind of bums me out once it done cause it feels so short and fleeting. The one recent show I really wished I could have waited just a little instead of binging was Russian Doll. That’s cause I loved it so much I wanted to savor it more.

What characteristics make a show binge worthy and what makes it more of a slow digest?
Yeah I think @Bennnnn is onto something: shows that are driven by plot are good to binge because you want to see what happens next. Shows that rely on character development, building a theme, examining the characters’ motivations/psychology, providing commentary on the world at large...all of those things take more time and thought to really take root in the mind and achieve maximum effect.

Back