Television

I'm really liking Gemstones so far. And Edi Patterson is so great. She has so many subtle, funny little nuances and her physical comedy is great too.
I need to give this show a try. Everyone seems to dig it. Has the season ended yet? It seems like a show I could binge in a weekend.

I need to give this show a try. Everyone seems to dig it. Has the season ended yet? It seems like a show I could binge in a weekend.

Nope, not over yet, I just caught up last night. I think there is one more remaining? (Although 9 episodes seems like a weird number)

It's easy to binge, the episodes are short. I am really impressed with the casting. Who knew John Goodman would be down the list of my favorite performances in this. Not that he's bad, it's just that so many people shine.

I got through 10 minutes of episode 1 and turned it off lol

I might try and get thru 1 episode tonight. If i'm feeling brave. How far did you get through it?

Episode 5. I am going to watch the whole shit because it's only eight episodes, but this is the worst thing Ryan Murphy has done so far (and I HATE the idiotic poptimism of Glee, but Glee is Gone With The Wind compared to this turd).
It is really bad, but I'll watch it because I'll hate myself I guess.

(There's somebody singing Joni Mitchell's "River" on episode 1 because OF COURSE IT'S RYAN MURPHY, and that scene is nice, or maybe it's just because that song is beautiful no matter what)

My favorite role of his is Boyd Crowder in Justified.

Justified is when I noticed how awesome he is. Although I gave up on that show sometime in S2 or S3, can't remember why.

Goggins was really great in Vice Principals. If anyone hasn't seen that, you should. It is the previous McBride/Hill show.

I should go back and watch Vice Principals. When it came out I just wasn't in the mood for Danny McBride.

Not that it needs mentioning, but Walton Goggins is great in this too.
Yea hes great in The Shield. My favorite role of his is Boyd Crowder in Justified. Hes in some new CBS sitcom that looks bad, but I'll probably give it a try based solely on him.
Yeah he was great in Vice Principals, but it was a little jarring to see him in ads for a CBS sitcom. Feels like a super weird fit.

He was also the best (only good?) part of American Ultra. It was like a glimpse into somebody who could have been a really, really good Joker.

Really looking forward to S4 of Mr. Robot which starts on the 4th. Those of you who dropped off after S1 should really, really catch up before the final season of one of the most visionary shows television has ever handed us.

Also, Succession S2 probably my favorite thing I've watched all year.
I'm so so so so so ready for Mr. Robot. One of my absolute favorite shows. Also no matter where I go on the internet people constantly bring up how disappointing season two is, but holy what they are so wrong. That season of TV is incredible. The filmmaking, the camera work, the writing, the acting, the set ups, the pay offs...it’s phenomenal. And if you binge it right after season 1 it flows even better. Season 3 also works perfectly while going through a big watch through it all. I'm gonna tear back through s3 again in the next three days and see if I can finish it all before Sunday.

I know we had a whole thread devoted to it on the old forum but there are a lot of rumblings the last few days about a 4th (and potentially 5th) season of Twin Peaks.
There does seem to be something happening. And although we don't need another season really, I would be thrilled regardless. Give me more of that. I loved the last one. I read an article about the theorizing of a new season today, and to me it seems more like, if anything, he filmed another movie as opposed to a giant season of TV. I would be equally happy with that. Really just anything.

Last edited:
I'm so so so so so ready for Mr. Robot. One of my absolute favorite shows. Also no matter where I go on the internet people constantly bring up how disappointing season two is, but holy what they are so wrong. That season of TV is incredible. The filmmaking, the camera work, the writing, the acting, the set ups, the pay offs...it’s phenomenal. And if you binge it right after season 1 it flows even better. Season 3 also works perfectly while going through a big watch through it all. I'm gonna tear back through s3 again in the next three days and see if I can finish it all before Sunday.

There does seem to be something happening. And although we don't need another season really, I would be thrilled regardless. Give me more of that. I loved the last one. I read an article about the theorizing of a new season today, and to me it seems more like, if anything, he filmed another movie as opposed to a giant season of TV. I would be equally happy with that. Really just anything.

Yeah, S2 is phenomenal unless you don't like character studies and need your plot moving from point A to Z. S3 is actually probs my least favorite of the 3, and yet it's still really good (and contains some of the best cinematography in the history of TV).

Orlando Bloom is kind of a fascinating success. Here's a relatively talentless actor who has nonetheless starred in 9 films spanning two of the biggest blockbuster franchises of all time, as well as a high-profile Cameron Crowe gig and two Ridley Scott movies.

It's the same career that Hollywood tried really, really hard to give to Sam Worthington about ten years ago. Thankfully, the public all seem to have agreed that they're Highlanders of Blandness and there can be only one.
He rode the success of LoTR into the pirate movies, but he fell so flat for me.
I figured out why:
Orlando Bloom + Elf Ears = hot
Orlando Bloom - Elf Ears = not

I also have the same reaction when Zachary Quento puts on the Spoc ears....I think I have a problem...

So yeah, chalk his success up to pointy ears.

Just finished The Politician.
It is bad. Not as bad as 13 Reasons Why S03 but just as bad as The I-Land.
I could write a long comment about it but it isn't worth it. Just skip that show and watch Criminal.
Why did they introduce a brand new character to narrate 13 Reasons Why S3? Yes, I'm still slowly plowing through it.

Why did they introduce a brand new character to narrate 13 Reasons Why S3? Yes, I'm still slowly plowing through it.

I think we should give 13RW credit for being the most "impossible to understand" show since Twin Peaks.
About your question, I guess that they (that is, the writers) needed a way to make Bryce more likable. He had been such a motherforking son of a batch arsehole for two seasons, so now everybody would be ok with him dying. So they brought the new girl so we could see that Bryce was a nice guy in the end.
This show sucks in so many levels, it's amazing.

I think we should give 13RW credit for being the most "impossible to understand" show since Twin Peaks.
About your question, I guess that they (that is, the writers) needed a way to make Bryce more likable. He had been such a motherforking son of a batch arsehole for two seasons, so now everybody would be ok with him dying. So they brought the new girl so we could see that Bryce was a nice guy in the end.
This show sucks in so many levels, it's amazing.
I think you are right. In the episode I watched last night, I actually said to myself, "Bryce is way more likeable this season." And then I smacked my own hand for thinking that.

Also - Clay is the most self righteous, annoying, egotistical asswipe. I want to throat punch him. (Not really, I'm being hyperbolic for the sake of driving my point home).

Back