Television

Looks like I'm going to have to check out the Righteous Gemstones!

I finished Glow last night. Great season! I did NOT like the 1st episode with the challenger stuff. It felt out of place. And because I didn't like the first episode, I delayed watching the rest. But the rest of the season was great. I love how much screen time Sheila got. And her as Liza was the pinnacle of that season.

I started Farscape for some reason. RIP me.
The Sheila and Bash storylines are what makes this the best season for me

I started Farscape for some reason. RIP me.

Farscape is one of my wife's all time favorites. I have yet to watch it.

I'm still trying to finish Nurse Jackie. (wow did season 6 end crazily...watched that last night.) Next up is Righteous Gemstones and Lodge 49. I think those two are jumping over everything else I have queued up. Oh, and I still have two eppies of Years and Years. I never really want to watch two of those in a row.

I liked the first episode of the Righteous Gemstones. I wouldn't mind them leaning into the dramatic/thriller elements and letting the wacky comedy stuff be in support of that. The pilot/first ep seemed to hint at either being the potential main tone/focus. Also, my good friend plays the ex-Satanist friend so I'm excited to see where everything goes with the story and the show itself.

I liked the first episode of the Righteous Gemstones. I wouldn't mind them leaning into the dramatic/thriller elements and letting the wacky comedy stuff be in support of that. The pilot/first ep seemed to hint at either being the potential main tone/focus. Also, my good friend plays the ex-Satanist friend so I'm excited to see where everything goes with the story and the show itself.
Ha, that dude was hilarious, kudos to your friend.

Spoilery Lodge 49 stuff:

The company that shares an office with Liz's new temp job is called Ludibrium. The guy coming out of that room who bumps into Liz? I thought they were introducing a new character in that scene, but he's been in the show dating back to the pilot. He's in the donut shop and overhears Dud saying "We don't have to live like this. There has to be a better way." Apparently he's in two other episodes in the first season, as well. I'm on a rewatch, but I haven't gotten to those yet. I don't know what it all means, but there's definitely a bigger picture there that we aren't seeing yet. Or am I forgetting some other plot point from the first season that this guy played a significant role in already?

Farscape is one of my wife's all time favorites. I have yet to watch it.

I'm still trying to finish Nurse Jackie. (wow did season 6 end crazily...watched that last night.) Next up is Righteous Gemstones and Lodge 49. I think those two are jumping over everything else I have queued up. Oh, and I still have two eppies of Years and Years. I never really want to watch two of those in a row.
I choose a cheesy escapist show to fall asleep to. It previously was The Tribe. But I finished it. So Farscape is next up. It's completely harmless and enjoyable.

Years and years - I couldn't binge that either. I watched it weekly. I'm finishing up handmaid's tale today because I had to give myself time between episodes. Those are both intense shows.

Ok. Someone sell me on lodge 49. What's it about and why is everyone loving it? I need a new comedy to watch so that might be it.

I think I might start pose.

I choose a cheesy escapist show to fall asleep to.
My wife and I started Bosch on a long, lazy Sunday afternoon and found it strangely hypnotic/comforting. Like a gritty Law & Order marathon.
Someone sell me on lodge 49. What's it about and why is everyone loving it? I need a new comedy to watch so that might be it.
Imagine if The Dude joined a fraternal organization like the Elks instead of going bowling. Plus there’s a quirky cast of characters, philosophical discussions, broad humor, grim depictions of late stage capitalism, and a central mystery that may or may not have mystical elements. It’s hard to describe, but I find it very charming and gentle. Goes down easy, feels simultaneously silly and profound.

I am totally falling for the HBO voodoo - I waited to even watch Succession as I thought 'meh...', then I binged on S1, two weeks prior to S2 starting for some reason. One of the better shows on TV (network, cable, streaming). I am all over the rollercoaster that is Kendall (do I like him, is he even worthy of being liked?) and then little bro Roman was a ridiculous character when introduced and now is probably my favourite.

Maybe I just love the way Brian Cox dismisses his family with a curt "Fuck Off" each time....

Hubs put on BH90210 last night and now I feel compelled to watch the earlier episodes. Trashy hyper reality shows are not normally my thing but it hit me in the nostalgia feels, lol. They got me, I’m the target.

Can anybody tell me if Bosch sustains the level of quality from its first season for the duration of the series? Like, don't bother telling me that it's not top-tier tv. I know that. I just want to know if it's *as good as* the first season.

Hubs put on BH90210 last night and now I feel compelled to watch the earlier episodes. Trashy hyper reality shows are not normally my thing but it hit me in the nostalgia feels, lol. They got me, I’m the target.
The fact that the actress who played Emily Valentine, old love interest to Brandon, is now the love interest of the actress who plays Andrea is probably the best discovery of last night’s ep. Also, seeing Shannon Doherty show up as a new age version of herself. 😂

The fact that the actress who played Emily Valentine, old love interest to Brandon, is now the love interest of the actress who plays Andrea is probably the best discovery of last night’s ep. Also, seeing Shannon Doherty show up as a new age version of herself. 😂
I didn't think I wanted to watch this reboot until I read your spoiler. Now I must!

Finished S3 of GLOW a few nights ago. I think all 3 seasons have been pretty great, so I don't really have a ranking. Definitely less of the in-ring stuff in this season, which made sense based on the repetition of the show they were performing in Vegas, but it was also useful to allow some of the supporting characters some screen and story time. The arc of Betty Gilpin's character is fascinating, and her performance is still the standout of this show. I also thought Marc Maron was excellent this season, particularly in the second episode.

There’s so much meta my mind was exploding every few min, lol

I watched the first two episodes, and I have the last two recorded. I really like the meta aspects of it, and I think that is when this version of the show is at its strongest. They can draw a lot of humor out of the show that way, poke fun of themselves (and their characters), and still tap into the nostalgia fans feel for the original incarnation. I kind of wish they had left out the really overt soap opera aspect, as it feels like another layer that isn't really needed.

Can anybody tell me if Bosch sustains the level of quality from its first season for the duration of the series? Like, don't bother telling me that it's not top-tier tv. I know that. I just want to know if it's *as good as* the first season.

Sadly not IMO. The production values and acting remain strong but I didn’t find any of the subsequent cases as compelling. I’ll still watch S6 if it happens though.

Back