Television

I regularly listen to The Watch podcast and they’ve discussed this point frequently.

This sadly also helps justify the ample external hard drives that collected of music, movies, and TV shows. Streaming is much easier and way more convenient but it’s probably not forever either.
Might be time to pickup a BR machine and start going physical again. Mrs WON'T like that.

Started Silicon Valley.

S108 Optimal Tip-to-Tip Efficiency

More television needs crucial plot movements delivered by algorithms of how to best ejaculate a conference room full of men. If you're not talking about dick-to-floor measurements and mean jerk time, then, really, what the hell are we even doing in storytelling anymore?

Disrupt.

Last edited:
I regularly listen to The Watch podcast and they’ve discussed this point frequently.

This sadly also helps justify the ample external hard drives that collected of music, movies, and TV shows. Streaming is much easier and way more convenient but it’s probably not forever either.

Bro I literally chucked 100s of DVDs during a cross country move at the end of 21' and am already regretting it.

I'm also forever angry that the American and Louie have never been released on Bluray. And grateful to have access to an insanely curated Plex account.

Should probably grab Mr Robot before it goes out of print.

Last edited:
Bro I literally chucked 100s of DVDs during a cross country move at the end of 21' and am already regretting it.

I'm also forever angry that the American and Louie have never been released on Bluray. And grateful to have access to an insanely curated Plex account.

Should probably grab Mr Robot before it goes out of print.
This reminds me that I need to get Dirk Gently on DVD.

Trough TV....they air Coffin Flop, right?
No, That’s Corn Cob TV. You’re probably confused because Spectrum is planning to drop over 20 channels by the end of 2022, including Corn Cob TV. If you love Corn Cob TV shows like "Coffin Flop", it's time to tell Spectrum NO to dropping Corn Cob TV. They're saying that "Coffin Flop's not a show, it's just hours and hours of footage of real people falling out of coffins at funerals" They're saying "that it's impossible that that many dead bodies have fallen out of coffins every day, and it's impossible that one out of every five of them are nude" but Coffin Floppers just shoots funerals and shows the ones where the bodies fly out. It's not rigged AT ALL. And they're saying "Corn Cob TV doesn't have permission from the families," but Corn Cob TV doesn't need permission, they are allowed to show them nude because they ain't got no soul.

Please, call up Spectrum today and tell them that YOU'RE not WORRIED about THIS, you see WORSE THINGS on the LOCAL news every day.

Last edited:
No, That’s Corn Cob TV. Your probably confused because Spectrum is planning to drop over 20 channels by the end of 2022, including Corn Cob TV. If you love Corn Cob TV shows like "Coffin Flop", it's time to tell Spectrum NO to dropping Corn Cob TV. They're saying that "Coffin Flop's not a show, it's just hours and hours of footage of real people falling out of coffins at funerals" They're saying "that it's impossible that that many dead bodies have fallen out of coffins every day, and it's impossible that one out of every five of them are nude" but Coffin Floppers just shoots funerals and shows the ones where the bodies fly out. It's not rigged AT ALL. And they're saying "Corn Cob TV doesn't have permission from the families," but Corn Cob TV doesn't need permission, they are allowed to show them nude because they ain't got no soul.

Please, call up Spectrum today and tell them that YOU'RE not WORRIED about THIS, you see WORSE THINGS on the LOCAL news every day.

Might I add, they didn't rig shit!

Last of us question
Not to be a contrarian, but I’m 3 episodes in and the story / characters are ok. It’s zombies but fungi. I know these are beloved games but it’s not hooking me. Of course not everything is for everyone, but if it’s not clicking for me is there something along the way that could make it land better ?

Last of us question
Not to be a contrarian, but I’m 3 episodes in and the story / characters are ok. It’s zombies but fungi. I know these are beloved games but it’s not hooking me. Of course not everything is for everyone, but if it’s not clicking for me is there something along the way that could make it land better ?
Honestly to me, those first 3 episodes kind of set the tone for what types of episodes exist in the season so far. If it’s not doing much for you it might just not be your thing. This is coming from someone who has never played the games so I have no idea where it goes. For me there are some points that I wish it did just slightly more, especially in regards to the story progression. But there is enough great stuff to keep me all in and waiting to see what happens next. The best aspect of the show is not knowing what the next episode is going to be like.

Last of us question
Maybe, maybe not. Each episode has been its own thematic chapter to the dynamic that is Joel and Ellie's evolving relationship, if you're invest in that. Ep three being out of time was kind of an outlier as it's more about Joel's own sense of obligation. Same for a later episode revolving around Ellie. They do move pretty quickly which is one of the more common concerns I've seen lobbied at the series, but I kind of get the urgency of it.

I have a friend who hates zombie / apocalypse type shows and she absolutely loves TLOU.
Yeah, my wife hates them too. She hasn't watched The Last of Us but I told her I'm pretty sure she would enjoy it. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the game. The first couple episodes kind of feel like a typical zombie show but as the episodes go on it starts to feel very very different.

Yeah, my wife hates them too. She hasn't watched The Last of Us but I told her I'm pretty sure she would enjoy it. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the game. The first couple episodes kind of feel like a typical zombie show but as the episodes go on it starts to feel very very different.
My gf won’t watch it. I’ve told her about it and she says it sounds depressing. And I said - yeah, but in a good way!

To me, The Last of Us is more about the characters and relationships. The zombies and the fungus are all just kind of in the background.
Sure. I felt that way about The Walking Dead. I figured this was another case where the zombies are just another character just as NYC is a character in Rom Coms. I don’t dislike the characters I just am not fully connecting.

I am happy for you if it’s your thing- just might not be mine.

Sure. I felt that way about The Walking Dead. I figured this was another case where the zombies are just another character just as NYC is a character in Rom Coms. I don’t dislike the characters I just am not fully connecting.

I am happy for you if it’s your thing- just might not be mine.

I've already voiced my love for the games many, many times. But...

I think we would need to know what tv dramas are close to your heart to answer that question.

What makes the games special is
A) The relationship between Joel and Ellie and it's arch. Which is developed through both gameplay moments, their constant conversations and cutscenes.
B) Ellie the character and her arch over the two games. She's one of my three favorite characters across any medium.
C) The ways in which the games toy with the relationship between the characters and the player.

In short the games are exceptional character studies in an artform not known for that. And also pushed video games forward by subverting the expectations and language of games. The zombie stuff is all secondary.

The TV elevates the source material in some ways by filling out the secondary characters and laying the groundwork for Part II. But in order to do so, it sacrifices the time that is spent with Joel and Ellie (which was already somewhat hurt by the shuft in medium and low episode count). It also heavily ramps down the zombie encounters-- which mostly works but does dampen some of the character beats imo.

Luckily, Pescal and Ramsey are incredible actors and the craftsmanship involved is top tier.

I'd be curious how many people here are emotionally attached to Ellie and Joel by now. Cause I know the hit rate on that question is like 95% with gamers after they had finished Part 1.

Last edited:
Back