Television

I'm on my 10th watch (yes, I'm a bit obsessed) and just finished S2E9. I love it so much! My favorite episode is S1E8.

I wish I could rewatch shows. I don't have it in me for some reason. Even with my favorite shows of all time, it's hard for me to watch them more than once. As a result though,when I finish one show I'm always looking for something new and it isn't always easy to find.

I wish I could rewatch shows. I don't have it in me for some reason. Even with my favorite shows of all time, it's hard for me to watch them more than once. As a result though,when I finish one show I'm always looking for something new and it isn't always easy to find.
I find not re-watching shows to be a problem with streaming. Maybe it's just old school thinking but I could watch re-runs of Seinfeld and The Office on TV all day because it's on TV. With streaming shows, I'm never going to just stumble upon them browsing channels so I never re-watch them unless I feel fully motivated to do so. Besides Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, I can't think of another show I went back and re-watched completely.

I find not re-watching shows to be a problem with streaming. Maybe it's just old school thinking but I could watch re-runs of Seinfeld and The Office on TV all day because it's on TV. With streaming shows, I'm never going to just stumble upon them browsing channels so I never re-watch them unless I feel fully motivated to do so. Besides Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, I can't think of another show I went back and re-watched completely.

I can't even watch re-runs of old shows on tv either. My wife will sometimes put on the ones you mentioned (Seinfeld, The Office, etc) but it drives me crazy. It's like my brain is saying "you've already seen this, why are we watching it again?"

That's the way I am with books. I can't think of a book I've re-read, except for Grapes of Wrath, but the first was in High School, then a couple years ago, big difference there.

That's the way I am with books. I can't think of a book I've re-read, except for Grapes of Wrath, but the first was in High School, then a couple years ago, big difference there.
I smoked so much weed that sometimes it's like reading it for the first time all over again!

I can't even watch re-runs of old shows on tv either. My wife will sometimes put on the ones you mentioned (Seinfeld, The Office, etc) but it drives me crazy. It's like my brain is saying "you've already seen this, why are we watching it again?"
I have a hard time with it too, but my wife is a serial rewatcher. There are only some shows I can do that with (Simpsons, and other cartoons)

TL is the kind of show I'll watch 1-2 episodes in bed on my iPad if I'm having trouble sleeping. Plus it came out at a point in the pandemic when I needed some soothing and hit all the right buttons for me.

I have a hard time with it too, but my wife is a serial rewatcher. There are only some shows I can do that with (Simpsons, and other cartoons)

I usually only do it with shows with a lot of hidden details that are only noticed by repeat viewings (Arrested Development, Bojack Horseman).

I'm doing a Ted Lasso rewatch; it's my wife's first time through.
Last night we watched S2E3 and damn, that was a near perfect episode, just fantastic television.
Hey I just watched that one last night too. We're also doing a rewatch. Thought we could have timed ir right for the new season but the first episode is out today.

I am an avid watcher of reruns. We always have a few shows in queue. I enjoy the low stakes investment, if I get distracted by the internet or work, or fall a sleep, I haven’t missed anything because I have already seen it a bunch of times.
The Office
30 Rock
Parks & Rec
Cheers
The Simpsons
Seinfeld
My wife and I finally started watching Parks and Rec a few weeks back, we're about 1/3 of the way through Season 3 now. I'm not sure why we ignored it so long; it's pretty freaking great.

My wife and I finally started watching Parks and Rec a few weeks back, we're about 1/3 of the way through Season 3 now. I'm not sure why we ignored it so long; it's pretty freaking great.
Yeah, it’s better than The Office over all. While The Office probably has a few more devastatingly hilarious moments, especially during it’s best seasons, Parks & Recs was more consistently brilliant throughout. The only weak season of P&R is the first season and they managed to improve by leaps ands bounds from there and stuck the landing. The Office started off just as shaky and really hit its stride in season two but the consistent quality from season to season was a bit of a roller coaster ride and it suffered mightily after Steve Carrell left. Limping it’s way through two more terrible seasons.

Just watched the first episode of Gotham Knights. Had not heard anything about this before clicking on the banner ad for it. It has some potential, but could go either way in that CW kind of way. Looking forward to seeing where it goes though.

I have access to a Plex account and finds it causes the same sort of paralysis that Spotify does-- where I sort of blank out and then wind up opting for whatever is new.

That's part of what caused me to begin collecting records. And now with records having gotten stupidly expensive and my collection being pretty deep anyways-- I find myself buying blu rays instead. Movie collecting was my original hobby (middle school through my mid-20's) but I put a long pause on it post-DVD and then got rid of all my mediocre DVD transfers when I moved cross country.

And most blurays are affordable now though there is the same sort of "limited edition, steel book" stuff happening that records have with color varients. And there's also a shocking amount of stuff that's OOP and only avail overseas which now has me contemplating a region free player. IL also has a shocking # of used movie / video game / reocord stores where I can go in a get a handful of movies for $6 a pop with the same type of scavenger serotonin hit that record buying used to provide. And now I'm rewatching stuff all the time.

TV is different because it's such a time commitment. I think the only show I plan to buy on blu ray for certain is Mr. Robot. I already have the Wire and Arrested D (+ Daria and early South Park and Simpsons) on DVD and prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio for the Wire. The others I would love to have are The Americans, Atlanta and Louie-- but FX doesn't put their shit out on physical media these days.

Last edited:
Ok I really like the Henry and Sam characters. Maybe I’ll keep seeing if it keeps up for me.
Yeah I feel like the Last of Us is cramming a lot of characters and story arcs (many of which only last for a single episode) into a single season, whereas what I remember of Walking Dead was that a whole season would be drawn out just about them discovering like a single town and set of characters and figuring out what was going on there.

My favorite part about the game is that it never felt repetitive. They never got lazy with how they designed the buildings or neighborhoods - every single part of the game felt like a unique customized location that was represented in such a great level of detail that I just wanted to explore the different rooms to see all of the ideas that they came up with for how to represent what it might have looked like for a fungus/zombie apocalypse to strike in an office building or grocery store or subway tunnel or book store or hotel ballroom or university or sewer system or museum or residential neighborhood etc etc. There were lots of notes left behind in the game that you could pick up and read that were from random people just describing their experience and what they thought was going on and who they blamed for what was happening and reading them helped to put you in the mindset of the characters that you’re interacting with. I think another difference with the show is that in the game, you’re constantly scavenging for resources (weapons, food, medicine, tools etc.) to increase your chance of survival so there is a kind of fun element of looting some of the buildings for these items as you explore while at the same time being presented with the evidence of those who didn’t survive either by seeing their belongings or their bodies or whatever it was that they left behind. And also, there are many times where you’re pitted against other survivors that you can’t trust. It hammers home that kind of degrading sense of the level of selfishness that they’re forced to embrace when survival is so uncertain. You as a player feel that same mix of giddy excitement and also mild guilt at ransacking people’s houses and belongings to increase your own odds of survival.

Back