Television

Foundation on AppleTV it’s really good so far high-quality production like Game of Thrones
I was let down. This needs to be EPIC and it just didn't feel that. Most scenes on Trantor felt rather small. Didn't help that my wife laughed everytime Lee Pace was on screen shirtless. One review called it the best AppleTV screensaver.

I will keep watching though. Definitely looking forward to Invasion. The trailer looks good.

I was let down. This needs to be EPIC and it just didn't feel that. Most scenes on Trantor felt rather small. Didn't help that my wife laughed everytime Lee Pace was on screen shirtless. One review called it the best AppleTV screensaver.

I will keep watching though. Definitely looking forward to Invasion. The trailer looks good.
I've heard if you're looking for a faithful adaptation of the novels you'll be disappointed, which makes sense, since it would be a mess of time skips.

I'll have to turn off my brain for this one, I think. Like anything new Star Trek has made... Just pretend it's something new... in space.

Great timing, it's a rainy evening here and my wife and I just decided to watch it a bit later...unless it sucks, then tell me now.
Nope you will enjoy it. The biggest issue I had with it was it was too short. It covers like a 5 years stretch in an hour and a half. I wish this was like 3+ hours like other famous Mafia movies. Beyond that it’s nice to see some early iterations of the characters (though a few border on caricature) Vera Farmiga as Tony’s mom and Ray Liotta are both excellent. Michael Gandolfini captures a young Tony very well too.

It’s probably works better within the context of the show. There are a ton of references to the series. I about want to rewatch it because I am sure I missed some along the way. I think anyone who loved the show will enjoy the movie. I am kinda curious how someone who hasn’t watched the show would feel about it. I thinks a decent movie in it’s own right but fans of the show will likely enjoy it a heck of a lot more.

Bummed at how disappointing I found the many saints of Newark to be :(
I get that. It's definitely not The Sopranos. I think there is bit of a Star Wars effect for me. I love the show and these character's so much that I am thrilled to get to spend more time within this world. The fact that didn't completely bomb is a win for me. as a movie I think the whole thing felt a bit rushed, disjointed, and anti-climactic but as a prologue to one of the greatest dramas in TV history it was pretty fun.

I have a feeling the last scene will be divisive but I did get goose bumps when the opening notes to "Woke Up This Morning" began to play.[

Last edited:
Saints of Newark gave me the same feel that the Deadwood movie did...I wanted it to be a series and had to settle for what felt like an extended episode. It was fun seeing the origins of some of the characters but there certainly wasn't enough time to flesh it all out. Didn't hate it, didn't love it.

But learning this was very interesting to the stories that developed later...

Junior had Dickie killed basically for laughing at him

Saints of Newark gave me the same feel that the Deadwood movie did...I wanted it to be a series and had to settle for what felt like an extended episode. It was fun seeing the origins of some of the characters but there certainly wasn't enough time to flesh it all out. Didn't hate it, didn't love it.

The difference between the two was that the Deadwood movie was a conclusion to the story. Sopranos already had that. I think Many Saints is flawed in a good handful of ways, but a big one is that it never really justifies itself. It doesn't feel necessary at all.

Got hooked on Luna Park on Netflix. I found myself quickly getting through all 6 episodes of season one and can’t wait for season 2 to see where it goes next. Season one left us with a big old cliffhange.

Luna Park is an Italian drama.

The difference between the two was that the Deadwood movie was a conclusion to the story. Sopranos already had that. I think Many Saints is flawed in a good handful of ways, but a big one is that it never really justifies itself. It doesn't feel necessary at all.
Superfluous for sure. I think it’s maybe an expectations thing. The show famously withheld giving it’s fans what they craved. Where the movie went out of its way to kowtow to the shows fans. It almost felt like fan fiction at times. Not essential but I don’t think it hurts the shows legacy either.

Yeah, The Deadwood movie comparison is apt. I enjoyed the call backs to the show and the almost Shakespearean tragedy that is added by revealing who’s responsible party behind Dickey’s death.

Back