Television

Wow! Between this and Amazon’s LOTR series Who needs movies?
I'm also very interested in the Wheel of Time series.

I very much prefer long-form, epic, story telling as opposed to movies these days. I'd rather watch 4 seasons of Battlestar Galactica than a single Star War. I want directors to take their time and let me get to know the characters, let me immerse myself in their wolds. I'm glad a lot of adaptations of novels are moving away from shortened highly edited movies to fully realized shows. It's the only thing giving me hope for The Last Airbender show.

That being said, I still have NO idea how they're going to adapt Foundation. I feel like they're going to change A LOT.

Last edited:
Interest…

Don Cheadle does the voiceover work and it’s Executive Produced by Fred Savage and Lee Daniels.

Looks all right, I guess, but I wish they had been slightly more imaginative than returning to the 60s for it. When the original first aired in 1988, it was only 20 years in the past. The pilot of the original, if I remember correctly, is at least partially about a neighbor kid getting drafted to go to Vietnam. Especially with the draw-down occurring in Afghanistan right now, the right analog in 2021 would be setting the reboot in September 2001 and a childhood being thrown into uncertainty. But I guess nobody really has any nostalgia for that, or for when our young lives were soundtracked by the likes of Limp Bizkit and Toby Keith.

Looks all right, I guess, but I wish they had been slightly more imaginative than returning to the 60s for it. When the original first aired in 1988, it was only 20 years in the past. The pilot of the original, if I remember correctly, is at least partially about a neighbor kid getting drafted to go to Vietnam. Especially with the draw-down occurring in Afghanistan right now, the right analog in 2021 would be setting the reboot in September 2001 and a childhood being thrown into uncertainty. But I guess nobody really has any nostalgia for that, or for when our young lives were soundtracked by the likes of Limp Bizkit and Toby Keith.
I mean, here's what's hard to fathom: another current show, The Goldbergs, basically is a goofy riff on The Wonder Years, but it's set during the time when The Wonder Years was actually being produced....which was itself almost 40 years ago.

All of a sudden I want to see this...

I mean, here's what's hard to fathom: another current show, The Goldbergs, basically is a goofy riff on The Wonder Years, but it's set during the time when The Wonder Years was actually being produced....which was itself almost 40 years ago.
I think Everybody Hates Chris did a great if slightly sillier tone Black family take on the wonder years Idea. Unfortunately it was on CW so it didn’t really get it due.

I watched about 3 seasons of The Golbergs. Tha show had a great supporting cast but the main kid, Adam is fucking terrible and now the show is just ridiculous.

Fresh Off The Boat was pretty great. They hit the 90s nostalgia perfectly and unlike The Goldbergs wasn’t chocked full of anachronisms that make me wanna pull my hair out. Plus it didn’t over stay it’s welcome it ended with the main kid graduating High School.

Obviously Freak & Geeks was probably the closest in tone to a spiritual successor to Wonder Years though I doubt Sam Weir ever looked back at his time in High School with “Wonder” the way Kevin Arnold did.

The new Wonder Years will have to balance tone which is something that the original did fairly well.

Last edited:
Back