Television

On the heels of one television victory, I'd like to ask if anyone has a recommendation on a good tv, hopefully in the under-$500 range. I tipped my 34" Samsung over last week and I'm just taking it as a sign that eight years was a good run.

I just want a good picture for movies and gaming; size isn't really part of the appeal for me, so I'd rather something smaller that looks good than something that's just-okay and big. I'm leaning towards recognizable brands like LG or Samsung, but TCL seems like the current top budget brand.

On the heels of one television victory, I'd like to ask if anyone has a recommendation on a good tv, hopefully in the under-$500 range. I tipped my 34" Samsung over last week and I'm just taking it as a sign that eight years was a good run.

I just want a good picture for movies and gaming; size isn't really part of the appeal for me, so I'd rather something smaller that looks good than something that's just-okay and big. I'm leaning towards recognizable brands like LG or Samsung, but TCL seems like the current top budget brand.
In that price range I think the TCL 5 Series is probably your best bet.

I bought a TCL 5 series a couple years back when I was looking for something cheap for a bedroom TV. I will start by saying it broke within about 3 days of buying it. Basically it would just get stuck on the initial screen with the TCL logo upon powering it on. Now for the good news, TCL was great about it and I just shipped it back to them at their cost and they replaced it with a new one. Since then the new one has been working great and I've been very happy with it! I'd definitely buy another in the future when looking for a budget option.

Happy to find this thread and see some others are watching Reservation Dogs too. Definitely the best new show I've watched in a while. Really enjoyed Cheese on his ride along.
oohh, this looks interesting and fun! As soon as we finish Bosch (season 5 now)

Last edited:
That looks great. Seems like it may do the Robert Jordan Series justice. Wild that Amazon is doing this and the new LOTR series; they are going all in on the Fantasy genre. Thankful there are a lot of nerds out there.
Same, everything's coming up Sci-Fi and Fantasy Nerd these days. I'm in content heaven.

Only managed to make it through one book, but this looks like it could be pretty fun.
I had to switch to Audiobook to get through it, but it felt like it was worth it in the end. Jordan was REALLY bad at writing women characters, he had some obvious issues. Sanderson finished it up nicely in my opinion. But I do imagine much of that middle slog will be condensed for TV.

I had to switch to Audiobook to get through it, but it felt like it was worth it in the end. Jordan was REALLY bad at writing women characters, he had some obvious issues. Sanderson finished it up nicely in my opinion. But I do imagine much of that middle slog will be condensed for TV.
My takeaway finishing Sanderson's "Way of Kings" was the same as when I finished Eye of the World: An alright 1200 page story that could've been a great 700 page story.

My takeaway finishing Sanderson's "Way of Kings" was the same as when I finished Eye of the World: An alright 1200 page story that could've been a great 700 page story.
I'm going to have to differ with you there, as I'm all in on Stormlight and pretty much everything Sanderson has written. I much prefer large multi-volume Epics to shorter more concise novels. But to each their own.

Did anybody ever watch Nicolas Winding Refn's show Too Old to Die Young on Prime? I didn't even know it existed until just now. It looks...well, about like what you'd expect from Refn, whatever that means to you.

Back