Television

I’ve been rewatching The Wire this month, basically seeing it for the second time. I’m enjoying the second season so much more this go around, but I can see how frustrating it must’ve been in the moment. The docks and Ziggy Sobatka would’ve been such a distressing tonal shift week to week.
ME TOO!!! We are about a quarter of a way through season 5. I agree, season 2 is definitely the outlier and maybe the weakest season (either 2 or 5) but I think it makes more sense within the context of all 5 seasons.

I know everyone says it's one of the best shows ever...but I tried to start The Wire a few times. I've yet to finish the first episode.

I finally watched S2 of Cobra Kai last weekend...gonna get to S3 this weekend.

I know everyone says it's one of the best shows ever...but I tried to start The Wire a few times. I've yet to finish the first episode.

I still need to give Cobra Kai a go. The Wire is fantastic but I am rewatching it with my SO and it is a slow build and they throw some many characters at you at once it does feel like a bit of work for the first 3 or 4 episodes. Watching it back now I actually got a lot out of rewatching the early episodes especially because I didn’t know what was going on really until about halfway through the first season. Definitely my favorite cop show and worth the effort.

The wire really is excellent imo ..slowly unravels and all interconnected..some heartbreaking tv in that series

Add me to the scaredy cat club. I want to see what y'all are talking about with this one, but I'm afraid that it's going to be too scary for me. I really can't do gore at all.

I've been flitting about on Hulu and I found one of my favorite shows ever. Outnumbered is so perfect and so much like my life. It's really fun to laugh at myself and be re-assured that other people go through a lot of the same things with their kids.

For anyone who likes quirky shows like Dirk Gently, I found a new one for you. It's called Lodge 49 and it's delightful. I just wrapped up season 1 and I'm excited to watch season 2. Season 3 is supposed to be released later this year.
My partner and I just finished Lodge 49 and I absolutely loved it. I'm probably a bit biased because The Crying of Lot 49 is also one of my favourite novels, but the show is so unique and uplifting and human in a way that no other shows I know of are. The mystic parts of it are interesting and well done but not essential to the enjoyment of the show. Gutted that it's been cancelled but I hope it finishes in some other format, if not on the small screen. I've got the creator's short story collection coming from the library, as well. Anyone who hasn't watched this show, please check it out!

Like people are saying, The Wire takes a minute; the first time I watched it, it took half the first season to click, and the second time I tried, I don't think I got past three episodes.

I've also been impressed with the directing watching it this time around; I forgot that the show had a pretty distinct visual style, and there are a lot of really great, smooth shots where the camera is moving the background while keeping the subject centered and focused in the frame, even if they're moving as well. Great stuff.

I always like sharing this scene, because it was the first time I realized the show was something special, that it was doing a little bit more:

I've done two complete watches of The Wire but it initially took me awhile to get going on it as well. It's truly brilliant...so much greatness among the actors, storylines and moments throughout its run. I can see giving it a third watch at some point.

What I loved about the Wire is that they stayed with the old 4/3 screen ratio throughout the series. I have watched it 3 times I think. Definitely the first season takes a good 2-3 eps to get its legs. I think David Simon was worried about about getting as much things into the first 3 episodes because he was not sure if the show was going to be picked up. But once he realized HBO was behind him he was able to stretch out.

Like people are saying, The Wire takes a minute; the first time I watched it, it took half the first season to click, and the second time I tried, I don't think I got past three episodes.

I've also been impressed with the directing watching it this time around; I forgot that the show had a pretty distinct visual style, and there are a lot of really great, smooth shots where the camera is moving the background while keeping the subject centered and focused in the frame, even if they're moving as well. Great stuff.

I always like sharing this scene, because it was the first time I realized the show was something special, that it was doing a little bit more:

That’s some Real Murder Poe-lice enjoyed the French dubbing but I don’t know if it works as well as “fuck”.

enjoyed the French dubbing but I don’t know if it works as well as “fuck”.
13h2C.png

I'm at work and didn't even check the audio before sharing the clip.

Has anyone watched Lupin on Netflix? I finished it last night and really enjoyed it. I have to admit that I was drawn in by Omar Sy, he was great in The Intouchables and great in this as well. I really liked the plot, the first episode is so packed that I thought it was a single episode release to begin with, but there's much more to come after it. Definitely set up for a 2nd season.

Has anyone seen all of Wandavision? The concept sounds interesting but I’m wary of there being a sucker punch “grieving loss/change” twist, which is above my current emotional pay grade.
I haven’t watched it yet but my understanding is, while not a direct retelling the inspiration for the show comes from this...
8D9D9426-5D7D-4BCB-B0ED-5A6215BD3E66.jpeg
Which makes me hopeful because Tom King’s The Vision is phenomenal.

Back