Technical Difficulties Thread

I didn't know where to put this, but I have to say I'm really beside myself with the response I got from this "company", maybe it's just me, please tell me what your impression is.

The Problem: Was gifted an album from Amazon, it had a skip on side B. I returned it for replacement 3 TIMES, and each one has the same exact skip in the same exact place.

What I did: I reached out to the label, because I would have just purchased it direct if it hadn't been gifted, explained the above to them and asked if it was a known problem.........."before I bight the bullet on the gifted one and just buy one direct from your shop"

The response:
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your email! I would suggest wet cleaning your record and adjusting the weight on your tonearm. Oftentimes there is a bit of debris lodged in the groove, or the needle is simply not hitting the grooves of the record deep enough.

I hope this helps! Please let me know!

Since it's the weekend, I'm going to let my response simmer a bit, but am I wrong in wondering why they didn't actually answer the "known issue" question when I specifically said this exists on 4 copies of this album?

Could be two things:

The person speed reads and missed important info. I sometimes do that. Actually, I speed read all the time. I miss info some of the time.

It’s also not your equipment that’s the issue. We know that. They don’t. Unfortunately A/T sells lots of LP60s and lots more turntable owners of any brand know nothing about proper setup.

I didn't know where to put this, but I have to say I'm really beside myself with the response I got from this "company", maybe it's just me, please tell me what your impression is.

The Problem: Was gifted an album from Amazon, it had a skip on side B. I returned it for replacement 3 TIMES, and each one has the same exact skip in the same exact place.

What I did: I reached out to the label, because I would have just purchased it direct if it hadn't been gifted, explained the above to them and asked if it was a known problem.........."before I bight the bullet on the gifted one and just buy one direct from your shop"

The response:
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your email! I would suggest wet cleaning your record and adjusting the weight on your tonearm. Oftentimes there is a bit of debris lodged in the groove, or the needle is simply not hitting the grooves of the record deep enough.

I hope this helps! Please let me know!

Since it's the weekend, I'm going to let my response simmer a bit, but am I wrong in wondering why they didn't actually answer the "known issue" question when I specifically said this exists on 4 copies of this album?
Well...did you wet clean the record? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I’d be annoyed but they also don’t know your level of audiophileness. I remember tons of people had issues with Demon Days and the bass on it was making AT turntables skip because the VTF wasn’t set correctly. I’m with @HiFi Guy on this one. They don’t know that it’s not your setup so I’d respond and tell them that. I’ve had quite a good experience directly contacting some labels, explaining the issue and after some pleasant back and forth, my issues have been resolved or at least compensated in some way.

not a big issue but i notice that my grado has a notable hum when nothing is playing on my uturn and then i touch it to figure out the issue it starts buzzing even harder... it i tough the top of my tonearm (next to where the screws of the cartridge are) the hum is at its most intense, the only other place is where the tonearm cables are but that makes sense as touching those delicate cables would be an issue and im nervous i might break them

sounds like classic 60hz ground loop hum behavior.

Is your u-turn grounded to the phono stage or amplifier?

sounds like classic 60hz ground loop hum behavior.

Is your u-turn grounded to the phono stage or amplifier?
there is no ground wire to use on a uturn, though i dont think my cables have any grounding on them (i will upgrade to blue jeans or audioquest evergreens in the future), and im just using a fairly cheap belkin power strip from years and years ago. so no i think its not grounded.

there is no ground wire to use on a uturn, though i dont think my cables have any grounding on them (i will upgrade to blue jeans or audioquest evergreens in the future), and im just using a fairly cheap belkin power strip from years and years ago. so no i think its not grounded.
I’ve never seen a TT that did not have a little lug on the chassis to connect a wire from the chassis to the amp chassis. Every phono input i have ever seen has the same lug. You may need to source a wire but I have a hard time believing there is no connection for it. It seems if this were the case it would be a substantial manufacturing oversight.

I’ve never seen a TT that did not have a little lug on the chassis to connect a wire from the chassis to the amp chassis. Every phono input i have ever seen has the same lug. You may need to source a wire but I have a hard time believing there is no connection for it. It seems if this were the case it would be a substantial manufacturing oversight.

The u turn turntables don’t, they ground through the RCA

not a big issue but i notice that my grado has a notable hum when nothing is playing on my uturn and then i touch it to figure out the issue it starts buzzing even harder... it i tough the top of my tonearm (next to where the screws of the cartridge are) the hum is at its most intense, the only other place is where the tonearm cables are but that makes sense as touching those delicate cables would be an issue and im nervous i might break them
My uturn had a hum until I switched to Bluejeans cables. Totally gone after that, haven't had an issue since unless I turn my volume up really really loud with nothing playing. The only difference for me is that the hum went away when I would touch the tone arm, which uturn said was a sign the internal grounding was working.

Rega and UTurn both ground through the RCA cables.

I’m not sure if this is a technical issue but I didn’t want to start it’s own thread, but I bought a Pioneer CT-F9191 tape deck last year and whenever I got to use it, I feel like I really have to turn the volume up on both my receiver and the deck in order to get a decent sound. Like both knobs are turned up to the halfway point. I tried hooking the deck up to both tape outputs and the auxiliary with the same results. Could those outputs be faulty on the receiver? Or is that how it’s going to work with that particular deck? Or could it be something wrong with the deck?

I need help!

I had a bit of shock today...my platter was dragging and making some weird noises. I lifted the platter and i see the motor looks to be turning fine, could it be a sign that the belt needs to be changed?

I have a belt driven Dual 505. If it doesn't make sense I can post a video.

edit: took the belt off and there's no noise. The belt seems elastic enough and has tension but I would be relieved if it means I just need a new belt.

I’m not sure if this is a technical issue but I didn’t want to start it’s own thread, but I bought a Pioneer CT-F9191 tape deck last year and whenever I got to use it, I feel like I really have to turn the volume up on both my receiver and the deck in order to get a decent sound. Like both knobs are turned up to the halfway point. I tried hooking the deck up to both tape outputs and the auxiliary with the same results. Could those outputs be faulty on the receiver? Or is that how it’s going to work with that particular deck? Or could it be something wrong with the deck?

Turn the volume up on the deck all the way.

I need help!

I had a bit of shock today...my platter was dragging and making some weird noises. I lifted the platter and i see the motor looks to be turning fine, could it be a sign that the belt needs to be changed?

I have a belt driven Dual 505. If it doesn't make sense I can post a video.

edit: took the belt off and there's no noise. The belt seems elastic enough and has tension but I would be relieved if it means I just need a new belt.

Sounds to be like the bearing needs lubrication. Check this thread.

Sounds to be like the bearing needs lubrication. Check this thread.

I'll give that a go, but I'm really thinking it's the belt.

I observed when I switch from 45 to 33 the belt seems to get "caught"and not falling into the right spot it needs to on that shaft. At 45 it spins with no noise but I've just verified that it still sounds slower than it should. I guess that would signify a loose belt because when you switch speeds you're increasing the tension and if that's still slow it must mean the belt has become loose.

I can get a replacement belt pretty easily from dualfred - admittedly I haven't changed it in the 3 years I've had this table so I'm pretty sure that was due.

I observed when I switch from 45 to 33 the belt seems to get "caught"and not falling into the right spot it needs to on that shaft. At 45 it spins with no noise but I've just verified that it still sounds slower than it should. I guess that would signify a loose belt because when you switch speeds you're increasing the tension and if that's still slow it must mean the belt has become loose.

I can get a replacement belt pretty easily from dualfred - admittedly I haven't changed it in the 3 years I've had this table so I'm pretty sure that was due.

Sounds like you need a belt regardless. it’s a good starting point.

This happened to my Thorens. Get a new belt! Especially if you’ve had it for 3 years with no replacement.

Got the belt on order and hope that resolves the situation.

Hoping it gets here before the weekend, I'm really antsy now that I can't spin.

Sounds like you need a belt regardless. it’s a good starting point.

Got the new belt on, it definitely turned without an issue like the old one had but then I noticed it was playing things verrryyy slow.

Ive since then adjusted the pitch control and it seems like things are running as normal but I'm not feeling like I don't have the pitch dialed in accurately. I used a phone app put the phone on the table and I come approximately close to the expected speed. How would I be able to ensure I've got the right pitch?

I'm planning to take this in at the end of August when the guy at the use gear shop is back from holiday to get it properly tuned up.

Edit: I'm assuming I should also change the timing belt in which case, perhaps it's also got loose over time.

Last edited:
Back