Technical Difficulties Thread

Since I've seen people get confused by phono preamps, I'll take a couple minutes to explain. (I apologize if this is old news to you--actually, I'll go ahead apologize to most of you:D). These devices convert the millivolt level output from the turntable to the 1-2 volt level expected by most amplifiers. They can usually be found in one of 3 places:
  • Built into cheap turntables. Cheap crap. Has a switch to turn it on of off.
  • Built into the receiver. Usually cheap crap. If your receiver has phono input, that input probably has one.
  • A separate box between the turntable and the receiver. Can be anywhere from cheap crap to more expensive than your car. This is usually considered a major upgrade. DON'T PLUG THIS INTO THE PHONO INPUT!!!
You need exactly one of these. Any more, and you risk speaker damage. Any less, and it will sound super quiet and tinny.

Thanks for this info. My next question was going to be: "Does this plug into the Phono input" so that was answered. With that said, where does it plug into? The auxiliary input? Or, do i need a different interface from here?

Hey all...I am dealing with an annoying hum out of one of my speakers and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I have tried some things thus far and want to see if any other suggestions are out there or if I am overlooking something.

Equipment: Microseiki DD-40 TT, Rotel RCD-02 CD Player, JVC JA-S44 Integrated Amp, Allison CD6 bookshelf speakers
Other notes: Turntable, CD Player, & Amp on same shelf, speakers one shelf below. Also have a laptop in the room at almost all times (also an office). Don't know what kind of interference this may cause, if any.

1) Power on in Phono - Hum comes from Left side
2) Swapped speaker cables - Hum moved to other side
3) Tried Speaker 2 inputs and plugged everything into the next port below - Maintained hum on same side as 2)
4) Switched over to Aux where to run the CD player - No hum.
5) Replaced ground cable and RCA cables between TT & Amp to better quality - No change in phono, hum still there.

I thought maybe a speaker input would be bad, but ruled that out trying the second inputs. It seems to only occur in Phono stage and the cable change offered no improvement.

Since this issue follows the phono input specifically, where do i go from here? Am i going down the capicitor/internals needing repair path? Or, are there any other trials/changes you would evaluate before going this route? I've been looking at upgrading my amp to begin with and probably looking for an excuse. This is one of those things where its annoying, but not annoying enough to spend a bunch of money fixing. I have never had a vintage piece of equipment repaired so I have no experience with the costs of repairs.

Anyone have any thoughts? I can bring up the schematic (i have a PDF saved), but have a very basic knowledge of circuits.

My immediate conclusion is that the JVC needs attention. I’d plan on a restoration from someone familiar with vintage electronics. I know a great shop in VA if you don’t mind shipping.

Thanks for this info. My next question was going to be: "Does this plug into the Phono input" so that was answered. With that said, where does it plug into? The auxiliary input? Or, do i need a different interface from here?

any available line input. Aside from Phono, receiver input labels are typically just for organization - there's no real difference between them in use. So you can treat the output from the phono stage the same way you'd treat a CD player or an iPhone or any other input.

My immediate conclusion is that the JVC needs attention. I’d plan on a restoration from someone familiar with vintage electronics. I know a great shop in VA if you don’t mind shipping.

Thanks for the response. I dont now that I would invest in it just yet, but Id like to take the contact info down so that when I am ready, or if I run into something else, I can move forward! Please PM me whenever you have a moment to share and thanks again!

So I want to separate my analogue chain from everything else. Here is my stupid question :).
My speakers have 2 ‘inputs’ on each. Can I run one amp through one set and another amp through another? One amp would be for tv/digital and the other for analogue. Thanks.

So I want to separate my analogue chain from everything else. Here is my stupid question :).
My speakers have 2 ‘inputs’ on each. Can I run one amp through one set and another amp through another? One amp would be for tv/digital and the other for analogue. Thanks.
No. One input goes to the tweeters, and the other goes to the woofers. You would either wire the inputs in parallel--it looks like the speakers come with metal bars for that purpose, or wire the inputs to separate amplifiers and then use a Y cable to make the amplifiers play the same thing.

If you want to keep everything separate, you need a switch box. Here's the first one I found: 2-Way Amp Amplifier Receiver to 1 One Pair of Speakers Selector Switch Switcher Splitter Combiner. Otherwise, maybe you could run the TV's front left and right outputs into a spare input on the analog system.

No. One input goes to the tweeters, and the other goes to the woofers. You would either wire the inputs in parallel--it looks like the speakers come with metal bars for that purpose, or wire the inputs to separate amplifiers and then use a Y cable to make the amplifiers play the same thing.

If you want to keep everything separate, you need a switch box. Here's the first one I found: 2-Way Amp Amplifier Receiver to 1 One Pair of Speakers Selector Switch Switcher Splitter Combiner. Otherwise, maybe you could run the TV's front left and right outputs into a spare input on the analog system.
Ok. I think I understand. Maybe I'll just use a small set of bookshelves with my old amp for the tv in that case. Thanks.

I recently inherited a Technics SL-1360 turntable with an Empire cartridge. The TT is in excellent condition, but the stylus for the cartridge seems to be broken off. I have not been able to identify the model # of the cartridge to see if a stylus is even available, or is worth replacing. Should I get a new cartridge or replace the stylus on the Empire???

Attachments

• Resized_20200629_090525.jpeg
    Resized_20200629_090525.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Resized_20200629_090550.jpeg
    Resized_20200629_090550.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Resized_20200629_090606.jpeg
    Resized_20200629_090606.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Resized_20200629_090426.jpeg
    Resized_20200629_090426.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Resized_20200629_090506.jpeg
    Resized_20200629_090506.jpeg
    668.2 KB · Views: 8
I recently inherited a Technics SL-1360 turntable with an Empire cartridge. The TT is in excellent condition, but the stylus for the cartridge seems to be broken off. I have not been able to identify the model # of the cartridge to see if a stylus is even available, or is worth replacing. Should I get a new cartridge or replace the stylus on the Empire???
I too, procured a used Technics that had a broken Empire stylus on it. I was able to determine the cartridge model and a replacement stylus was only $11. It is not, by any means, a good sounding cartridge although it was helpful in troubleshooting some issues where I was able to definitively remove my good cartridge as the source of the issue by replacing with the Empire (and getting the same results). I figure if I wanted to play beater record I would use it or pass it to my kids to beat to hell. It was cheap enough to warrant having a spare cartridge and headshell laying around.

Also:
Empire2000brochure.jpg

Thanks for the response. I dont now that I would invest in it just yet, but Id like to take the contact info down so that when I am ready, or if I run into something else, I can move forward! Please PM me whenever you have a moment to share and thanks again!

Sorry I missed this earlier. These guys are among the best in the business. The owner used to be the service manager for Conrad Johnson (a very highly respected high end manufacturer).

I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to post this...

I'm getting back into reading/deciphering wiring schematics as it's been over 15 years for me. I used to troubleshoot automotive concerns as a hobby.

Anyways, I picked up a PM655 from goodwill and am trying to measure mV at test points... Am I supposed to do this with the unit powered ON or Off? The service manual does not specify.

Thank you in advance.

I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to post this...

I'm getting back into reading/deciphering wiring schematics as it's been over 15 years for me. I used to troubleshoot automotive concerns as a hobby.

Anyways, I picked up a PM655 from goodwill and am trying to measure mV at test points... Am I supposed to do this with the unit powered ON or Off? The service manual does not specify.

Thank you in advance.
I imagine you will measure at 0mv at all points except capacitors and standby power stages if the unit is off, whatever the unit may be.

Hi all. Well, the PrimaLuna 400 EVOs have arrived. I have plugged things in and I'm at the horrible point where the lights went on and no sound came out. I've checked the connections (red is right, left black) between components and the interconnect between Pre-Amp/amp. I have a weak guess, but and sending this out in case I'm (hopefully) wrong.

Aux 1: Mytek Digital Bridge OUTs red/black check

Aux 2: Musical Surroundings Nova III - (phone pre) red/black, check

Interconnects:. All cables same as with previous receiver (Pioneer SC-57) except nordost blue heaven that shipped with the PrimaLuna's. Other interconnect cables are monster. I left the cables connected to the sources when I unplugged the receiver.

Right speaker, blue jean. Banana plugs
Left speaker, standard speaker wire, bare wire to the speaker/amp

I plugged everything in, waited 60 seconds, turned on the pre, waited 60 seconds, turned on the Amp. Tried streaming, nothing. Tried a record, nothing. Tried streaming again. Each time I gently raised the volume to about 40%. Silence.
Waited. There was a slight tick/pop from the right speaker when I turned off the power amp. (It might have been my heart) I didn't hear anything from the left.

Weak guess: EVO requires spade or bananas and having one be bare wire resulted in no sound from both? It's a weak guess.

Any thoughts? Also, wow are they heavy. 5 story, walk-up. Yowser

Hi all. Well, the PrimaLuna 400 EVOs have arrived. I have plugged things in and I'm at the horrible point where the lights went on and no sound came out. I've checked the connections (red is right, left black) between components and the interconnect between Pre-Amp/amp. I have a weak guess, but and sending this out in case I'm (hopefully) wrong.

Interconnects:. All cables same as with previous receiver (Pioneer SC-57) except nordost blue heaven that shipped with the PrimaLuna's. Other interconnect cables are monster. I left the cables connected to the sources when I unplugged the receiver.

I plugged everything in, waited 60 seconds, turned on the pre, waited 60 seconds, turned on the Amp. Tried streaming, nothing. Tried a record, nothing. Tried streaming again. Each time I gently raised the volume to about 40%. Silence.
Waited. There was a slight tick/pop from the right speaker when I turned off the power amp. (It might have been my heart) I didn't hear anything from the left.

Weak guess: EVO requires spade or bananas and having one be bare wire resulted in no sound from both? It's a weak guess.

Check your PM. I leave work in 15 minutes. Call me. I’m sure I can get you going.

Note: When switching between ultra linear and triode there is the audible pop from both speakers

I didn't know where to put this, but I have to say I'm really beside myself with the response I got from this "company", maybe it's just me, please tell me what your impression is.

The Problem: Was gifted an album from Amazon, it had a skip on side B. I returned it for replacement 3 TIMES, and each one has the same exact skip in the same exact place.

What I did: I reached out to the label, because I would have just purchased it direct if it hadn't been gifted, explained the above to them and asked if it was a known problem.........."before I bight the bullet on the gifted one and just buy one direct from your shop"

The response:
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your email! I would suggest wet cleaning your record and adjusting the weight on your tonearm. Oftentimes there is a bit of debris lodged in the groove, or the needle is simply not hitting the grooves of the record deep enough.

I hope this helps! Please let me know!

Since it's the weekend, I'm going to let my response simmer a bit, but am I wrong in wondering why they didn't actually answer the "known issue" question when I specifically said this exists on 4 copies of this album?

Back