Technical Difficulties Thread

Interesting. Why do you think it would just start now? I ask because I was noticing some IGD on my turntable last night. I last aligned it to the VPI supplied gauge a couple of years ago when I mounted the current cartridge. Will have to check for a bent cantilever…
I've heard it since receiving the table a couple months ago but wanted to give everything time to break in before messing around!

Just finished realigning my first cart 4-5 years into the hobby lol. I felt something was off with the job done by Upscale audio on my Ultradeck, was getting noticeable IGD on just about every record, popped out very much on vocals, pretty missable on jazz records.

Ordered the Geodisk, not the easiest thing to figure out how to do right, wish they had a vid! Anyways, definitely looks like my fears were correct. Now in the process of dialing this thing in, such a nerve wracking and fickle process lol. Any tips for first time alignment?

There were a couple times I accidentally turned on the UD while I was adjusting the cart and the Geodisk would spin around on the platter, if that ridge on it was 1mm taller I would probably be out a Grado Opus lmfao.
My first inkling after you got the table. Be sure to let Kevin know about this C. I bet he will give you some store credit or something.

Last edited:
I don't understand how a geodisk is meant to be an accurate alignment tool. Its all predicated upon an eyesight line with the center of the pivot point, like huh... I feel like thats an easy thing to misjudge

I don't understand how a geodisk is meant to be an accurate alignment tool. Its all predicated upon an eyesight line with the center of the pivot point, like huh... I feel like thats an easy thing to misjudge
Agree, I have it and that part drives me bonkers. The parallax effect makes it impossible to line up.

Use a straight edge. Envelopes work well.

Use a straight edge. Envelopes work well.
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby grab one of these for 2 bucks, or similiar off Amz.

I want to work on my Marantz 2245 - but I have no real experience with soldering and such.

But I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos on it.

One was a guy repairing and recapping his Pioneer SX-535 - which I also have.

So I'm gonna practice with this one first.

I got a package off ebay of all the new capacitors, transistors and such. Along with new led's for the lights.

Once my soldering skills are up...and if this isn't broken when I'm done with it, I'll take a look at fixing the 2245.

Gonna start with the phono pre-amp and then the tone / pre-amp...as I think those are the biggest issue this receiver has.

Just waiting on a new multimeter - I have one somewhere, but I have no idea where it is, but I'll have it by next weekend when I want to start on this.

20220702_054741.jpg
20220702_054732.jpg
20220702_054751.jpg
20220702_054800.jpg

I want to work on my Marantz 2245 - but I have no real experience with soldering and such.

But I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos on it.

One was a guy repairing and recapping his Pioneer SX-535 - which I also have.

So I'm gonna practice with this one first.

I got a package off ebay of all the new capacitors, transistors and such. Along with new led's for the lights.

Once my soldering skills are up...and if this isn't broken when I'm done with it, I'll take a look at fixing the 2245.

Gonna start with the phono pre-amp and then the tone / pre-amp...as I think those are the biggest issue this receiver has.

Just waiting on a new multimeter - I have one somewhere, but I have no idea where it is, but I'll have it by next weekend when I want to start on this.

View attachment 144581
View attachment 144580
View attachment 144582
View attachment 144583
Patience and safety. Always double check to make sure the unit is not plugged in when you go in and give ample time for the juice to drain.
Looks like you have a good Weller iron, also invest in a good Fluke or similiar multi meter. I use my friends de-soldering station which is a god send sometimes.

Patience and safety. Always double check to make sure the unit is not plugged in when you go in and give ample time for the juice to drain.
Looks like you have a good Weller iron, also invest in a good Fluke or similiar multi meter. I use my friends de-soldering station which is a god send sometimes.

Yeah. I didn't get a Fluke as they are just too much of an investment if I'm only going to work on the one or 2 things I own.

I've I was going to go all in and fix other units I'd invest in some proper gear - like a better solder station, a Hakko hot air and desoldering gun.

Yeah. I didn't get a Fluke as they are just too much of an investment if I'm only going to work on the one or 2 things I own.

I've I was going to go all in and fix other units I'd invest in some proper gear - like a better solder station, a Hakko hot air and desoldering gun.
Everything inside like boards, etc are on the 50 year old fragile side of things so just take care when inside. Watch for cold solder joints, loose screws, the usual things, etc

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby grab one of these for 2 bucks, or similiar off Amz.
Last time, I used a metal yardstick from a hardware store I happened to have around. The extra length allowed me to run the yardstick (on edge) right across the pivot point.

Last edited:
I just got the Whaferdale Denton 80 speakers and I have some questions about bi-wiring:
Can it be used with my Denon AVR-2808 CI?
Do I need a specific type of wire?

Thanks!

I just got the Whaferdale Denton 80 speakers and I have some questions about bi-wiring:
Can it be used with my Denon AVR-2808 CI?
Do I need a specific type of wire?

Thanks!

Haha! I answered you in the other thread. You don’t have to but if you ever get curious you can do.

This one is stumping me.

I have my speakers on one outlet and my record cleaner on a different outlet. When I flip the power button on the cleaner, there is an audible click through my speakers across the room. It happens for on and off, but worse on off. I’m thinking it might be the surge protector. The reason I have a surge protector is because I can’t reach the plug behind the kallax. I’m going to troubleshoot, but I’ve never even heard of one outlet causing a problem with another.

This is all the same equipment that I’ve had for years.

This one is stumping me.

I have my speakers on one outlet and my record cleaner on a different outlet. When I flip the power button on the cleaner, there is an audible click through my speakers across the room. It happens for on and off, but worse on off. I’m thinking it might be the surge protector. The reason I have a surge protector is because I can’t reach the plug behind the kallax. I’m going to troubleshoot, but I’ve never even heard of one outlet causing a problem with another.

This is all the same equipment that I’ve had for years.
They may still be on the same circuit?

Back