Technical Difficulties Thread

Surge protectors wear out! It’s entirely possible it’s been successfully protecting against these surges for a few years but that the mechanism is worn.
Good point! I am going to switch them up tonight and see if I can replicate it.

A CD player/USB question:

I had a Marantz CD6006 CD player with a USB port so I could connect my iPod/iPhone and play music through that. It broke and I got the CD6007 but apparently Marantz disabled the USB port for Apple products so my iPod/iPhone will connect (starts charging) but I can’t play music through it.

Is there something you can get to ”trick” the CD player to let me play music through it, like some kind of USB port or something?

A CD player/USB question:

I had a Marantz CD6006 CD player with a USB port so I could connect my iPod/iPhone and play music through that. It broke and I got the CD6007 but apparently Marantz disabled the USB port for Apple products so my iPod/iPhone will connect (starts charging) but I can’t play music through it.

Is there something you can get to ”trick” the CD player to let me play music through it, like some kind of USB port or something?

Some DACs that don’t appear to natively support iOS will work using this adaptor and a standard USB cable.

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

1675792691936.png

It also allows you to charge at the same time. That works with my PS Audio DAC where a standard lightening cable direct wouldn’t and I’ve seen similar for other DACs too. I don’t want to comment for certain the Marantz though because I’ve not specifically looked into it for their DACs.

@The Denmarkian Wonder what might be slicker and around the same price may be this cutting out the CD player entirely.

Pick up a second hand AirPort Express second generation off eBay. They support AirPlay 2 with a firmware update and can be got for peanuts.

Can connect direct to your amp and lets you keep the phone in hand rather than connected to the CD player.

KabelDirekt – 1m – Aux/3.5mm to RCA/phono male adapter cable, 2x RCA/phono plugs (Y splitter audio cable, for connecting smartphones/notebooks and other equipment to Hi-Fi systems/speakers, black) https://amzn.eu/d/dPFJUWw

@The Denmarkian Wonder what might be slicker and around the same price may be this cutting out the CD player entirely.

Pick up a second hand AirPort Express second generation off eBay. They support AirPlay 2 with a firmware update and can be got for peanuts.

Can connect direct to your amp and lets you keep the phone in hand rather than connected to the CD player.

KabelDirekt – 1m – Aux/3.5mm to RCA/phono male adapter cable, 2x RCA/phono plugs (Y splitter audio cable, for connecting smartphones/notebooks and other equipment to Hi-Fi systems/speakers, black) https://amzn.eu/d/dPFJUWw
Might give this one a try (y) I’m not really worried about where my phone is since I just need some way to play using once a week when I clean my TV/music room :) And my entire CD collection is in storage but is on my iPod. Also have a few purchased albums on my bandcamp account but no way to listen to any of it at the moment because of the CD player.

Might give this one a try (y) I’m not really worried about where my phone is since I just need some way to play using once a week when I clean my TV/music room :) And my entire CD collection is in storage but is on my iPod. Also have a few purchased albums on my bandcamp account but no way to listen to any of it at the moment because of the CD player.

If it’s an older iPod rather than iPhone, again old tech, but I’ve always had these connected to stereos. Just sit the iPods in and it has an RCA out and an older dock connector for keeping it charged. Have one of the old 5th generation iPod videos.

Would use the same type of RCA cable I linked up there from Amazon.

If it’s an older iPod rather than iPhone, again old tech, but I’ve always had these connected to stereos. Just sit the iPods in and it has an RCA out and an older dock connector for keeping it charged. Have one of the old 5th generation iPod videos.

Would use the same type of RCA cable I linked up there from Amazon.
It's an iPod Touch, maybe 6th Gen? That's the one with (almost) my entire CD collection. Then there's my iPhone 8 with the Bandcamp app. Don't have any streaming subs.

It's an iPod Touch, maybe 6th Gen? That's the one with (almost) my entire CD collection. Then there's my iPhone 8 with the Bandcamp app. Don't have any streaming subs.

So they both should connect to Wi-Fi and have AirPlay? Then the AirPort Express i originally said is best bet. Can wireless send everything to it. Either AirPlay the music from the iPod touch or from the Bandcamp app on the phone.

I was thinking proper old school iPod. I have a 2006 5G that I absolutely love!

So they both should connect to Wi-Fi and have AirPlay? Then the AirPort Express i originally said is best bet. Can wireless send everything to it. Either AirPlay the music from the iPod touch or from the Bandcamp app on the phone.

I was thinking proper old school iPod. I have a 2006 5G that I absolutely love!
I think I still have my old (2nd or 3rd gen) iPod in a storage box somewhere. I didn’t want to throw it out even though it doesn’t work lol

I think I still have my old (2nd or 3rd gen) iPod in a storage box somewhere. I didn’t want to throw it out even though it doesn’t work lol

They’re actually not all that hard to fix. There are loads of places selling batteries and even hard drives and conversation kits to SSD. I keep meaning to put a new battery and Solid State storage into mine.

They’re actually not all that hard to fix. There are loads of places selling batteries and even hard drives and conversation kits to SSD. I keep meaning to put a new battery and Solid State storage into mine.
I purchased an older iPod Nano for my car a couple of years ago after my previous one was stolen. The replacement from eBay came with a new battery and is performing well.

I’ve started using headphones on my office setup since my office is next to my son’s nursery. Noticed that there’s some noise that’s like static/white noise when nothing is playing. If I unplug all inputs, the noise is still there. Weirdly the noise only happens from the inputs on the top row of buttons. It’s dead silent on any inputs from the bottom row. The noise level doesn’t change when I raise or lower the volume…It’s a Rotel RA-1570. The noise is there when speakers are hooked up too but it’s really unnoticeable from a distance or when music is playing on the speakers…any thoughts?!

B82BF227-8E38-4F08-A22B-C8EEF4481F87.jpeg

I’ve started using headphones on my office setup since my office is next to my son’s nursery. Noticed that there’s some noise that’s like static/white noise when nothing is playing. If I unplug all inputs, the noise is still there. Weirdly the noise only happens from the inputs on the top row of buttons. It’s dead silent on any inputs from the bottom row. The noise level doesn’t change when I raise or lower the volume…It’s a Rotel RA-1570. The noise is there when speakers are hooked up too but it’s really unnoticeable from a distance or when music is playing on the speakers…any thoughts?!

View attachment 167152
My first thought is that all the top buttons are analog RCA inputs while the ones on the bottom appear to be digital DAC inputs. There may be an issue with the preamp that is bypassed with the DAC section.

My first thought is that all the top buttons are analog RCA inputs while the ones on the bottom appear to be digital DAC inputs. There may be an issue with the preamp switching that is bypassed with the DAC section.
yea that's what i figured too but A) no clue who to bring it to to fix B) not sure if it's worth fixing C) wasn't sure what might need replacing to fix the issue.

I've had good experience with Quirk Audio in California for repairs. I've seen other recommendations on this site.

I've had good experience with Quirk Audio in California for repairs. I've seen other recommendations on this site.
i'll have to see how much it may cost to ship it...might not be worth it by the time i ship + pay for it to be fixed. its a heavy amp.

I shipped a 56 lbs amp to Quirk in January 2022 for $115 one-way from NC. That included the discount from Quirk's shipping account.

Last edited:
Back