Sutherland Club House

The honest truth is that I'm not going to have room for anything else on my stereo shelf until the new cabinet gets here in a couple months. :)

The two linear supplies I bought (yes I got one for my table too 😳) are going behind my stand on top of my cable box because I have no shelf space left either!

The two linear supplies I bought (yes I got one for my table too 😳) are going behind my stand on top of my cable box because I have no shelf space left either!

The cabinet I've got coming has some customizations, one of which is a short 4" tall shelf that spans the width of the unit, just the right size for the power conditioner, Sutherland, Sonos Port, etc. Can't wait to not be stacking things.

The cabinet I've got coming has some customizations, one of which is a short 4" tall shelf that spans the width of the unit, just the right size for the power conditioner, Sutherland, Sonos Port, etc. Can't wait to not be stacking things.

Because of the design of my conditioner, it’s like a large power strip, I was able to get a big cable box to put it inside to tidy the wires away. There’s enough space on top of it to sit them both thankfully!

Because of the design of my conditioner, it’s like a large power strip, I was able to get a big cable box to put it inside to tidy the wires away. There’s enough space on top of it to sit them both thankfully!

Mine is more like a DVD-player in shape, I just have it sitting faceplate-down on the floor behind my Kallax, with all its plugs pointing upward. It's...not ideal.

Power chords on preamp 100% make biggest difference. My powered sub being very close second. My sub today since power cable upgrade and panamax for supply sounds so much cleaner and faster.

I'm stalking this thread till I talk myself into the Insight. Part of me says be happy with what I got and part of me wants to splurge.

Well, the Duo is up and running.

The boxes were marked “Demo” so they weren’t customer returns. In fact, I’m not convinced they were ever opened. Another MD open box success story.

Given that I’m not sure these aren’t new, I’m going to run them for a while and report back. I’m not disappointed though.

Well, the Duo is up and running.

The boxes were marked “Demo” so they weren’t customer returns. In fact, I’m not convinced they were ever opened. Another MD open box success story.

Given that I’m not sure these aren’t new, I’m going to run them for a while and report back. I’m not disappointed though.

Two albums in. It’s changing (and improving). I’d bet money these were new.

Just a heads up for Sutherland fans looking to upgrade to the endgame. I've been having a great discussion with the gentleman selling a pair of Sutherland PhonoBlock Refined. Out of my price range, else I would have purchased them. Here is a link, if someone is interested:

Just a heads up for Sutherland fans looking to upgrade to the endgame. I've been having a great discussion with the gentleman selling a pair of Sutherland PhonoBlock Refined. Out of my price range, else I would have purchased them. Here is a link, if someone is interested:

Man, he's just down the road...

I'd never spend that much on a phono stage. At some point the differences become more conceptual than anything else.

Exactly. Between the Insight and the Duo, you gain thicker circuit boards, 8x the filter caps, obviously better channel separation. It makes sense.

But the Duo was measured by Stereophile as having RIAA equalization within .02 dB of perfect. How much better can one get for $6k more?

I'd never spend that much on a phono stage. At some point the differences become more conceptual than anything else.
I think when you're hitting that $10K phonostage level you're starting to look at systems that cost the same high end cars and starter homes. It can probably get better, but just the phonostage won't get you there. You need carefully matched components, likely a dedicated room that's appropriately treated, sized, and might have dedicated power lines for the system.

You can put probably put McLeran or Ferrari quality parts into a Corvette, but it still won't make that C8 quite the same as those higher end cars. But is a McLeran or a Ferrari really $100K+ better driving experience than a C8? - Ask someone who can easily afford a McLeran or Ferrari and they'll probably give you a different answer than the guy that stretched his budget to get a C8. It's not about any single piece at those price points, it's about the whole system... including the room.

I think when you're hitting that $10K phonostage level you're starting to look at systems that cost the same high end cars and starter homes. It can probably get better, but just the phonostage won't get you there. You need carefully matched components, likely a dedicated room that's appropriately treated, sized, and might have dedicated power lines for the system.

You can put probably put McLeran or Ferrari quality parts into a Corvette, but it still won't make that C8 quite the same as those higher end cars. But is a McLeran or a Ferrari really $100K+ better driving experience than a C8? - Ask someone who can easily afford a McLeran or Ferrari and they'll probably give you a different answer than the guy that stretched his budget to get a C8. It's not about any single piece at those price points, it's about the whole system... including the room.

Whilst I get what you mean and agree with the general principle that I think you were aiming for I think that that analogy fails as written and here’s why. Parts from great engineering projects DO trickle down into lower models. Be that a hifi company building a ridiculous model that they sell 2 pieces of, be that VW building the Bugatti Veyron that they lost money on every one sold and be that McLaren or Ferrari, or even Renault and Honda, having formula 1 teams. By allowing engineers, mechanics and designers a high budget blank canvas they can strive for what is possible and find new solutions. This will lead to parts and concepts from $10,000 hifi gear later finding its way into $1,000 gear. It will lead to F1 technology in sports cars and eventually eceryday cars. it won’t lead to F1 engines in a Honda or Renault i concede but Ferrari and McLaren have both done just that in the past...

Back