STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

"The Essentials Legends Collection" continues to keep putting out new editions of (mostly) great novels with absolutely gorgeous cover art, and now they're publishing my favorite 2 Star Wars novels ever. I might have to pick these up.
rs4hqe3wvdna1.jpg

so i finally watched the first star wars movie (don't worry I mean part 4 I was not starting with the prequels) and.... is it bad to say I'm underwhelmed... like luke gets his lightsaber but then never uses it throughout the whole film. it's clear that the film was probably already expecting the sequels because darth vader doesn't do much as a threat (he is just the big man in charge of a horrible system... if anything the other imperial leaders were the REAL villains) and most of what the force is is basically "believe this religion and you can be very lucky" (and unrelated but its sooo obvious that George Lucas added that CGI into the film, the CGI of 1997 has not aged well compared to practical effects from 1977), it was just a simple story of "guys have to go to an evil base, rescue the princess, and then shoot down the evil base"

I'm watching empire soon and I'm hope it fixes some of the issues I had, I know it has the lovable little animatronic that is yoda so I'm going to come in hoping for more energy and a bigger story than the first

so i finally watched the first star wars movie (don't worry I mean part 4 I was not starting with the prequels) and.... is it bad to say I'm underwhelmed... like luke gets his lightsaber but then never uses it throughout the whole film. it's clear that the film was probably already expecting the sequels because darth vader doesn't do much as a threat (he is just the big man in charge of a horrible system... if anything the other imperial leaders were the REAL villains) and most of what the force is is basically "believe this religion and you can be very lucky" (and unrelated but its sooo obvious that George Lucas added that CGI into the film, the CGI of 1997 has not aged well compared to practical effects from 1977), it was just a simple story of "guys have to go to an evil base, rescue the princess, and then shoot down the evil base"

I'm watching empire soon and I'm hope it fixes some of the issues I had, I know it has the lovable little animatronic that is yoda so I'm going to come in hoping for more energy and a bigger story than the first
You have to think of the first film in the context of it's time. When it was release it was unlike any other science fiction that had been released. The worlds felt dirty and gritty, as opposed to sleek and shiney. The score was orchestral instead of synthesizers. He also wanted it to feel like a serial where you're just dropped into the middle of the story. I understand your criticism but at the time it was revolutionary.

You have to think of the first film in the context of it's time. When it was release it was unlike any other science fiction that had been released. The worlds felt dirty and gritty, as opposed to sleek and shiney. The score was orchestral instead of synthesizers. He also wanted it to feel like a serial where you're just dropped into the middle of the story. I understand your criticism but at the time it was revolutionary.
It was the first movie I saw in the theater and the film that made me fall in love with the movies.

i can see that perspective... i didn't grow up around the time of seeing the original, and I can see how after people watched it it was very important and different for the time, I am more kinda just surprised that 45 years later this was the movie that became one of the biggest and highest grossing franchises ever

and empire was an improvement in every way, still not a die hard fan like many others but it is a great fantasy film

it's clear that the film was probably already expecting the sequels because darth vader doesn't do much as a threat (he is just the big man in charge of a horrible system... if anything the other imperial leaders were the REAL villains)
Vader orchestrates the quick destruction of entire populated planet and forces Leia to watch everyone she's ever known die in front of her...that's pretty damn villainous. Later when he shows up at The Battle of Yavin he flies in and starts taking out Rebel fighters left and right. The Imperial officers are just pawns in a large fascist bureaucracy where Vader is the second and command the primary enforcer.

and most of what the force is is basically "believe this religion and you can be very lucky"
The force is everything, everywhere. What is luck but things happening in your favor? Force sensitivity is the ability to commune with the living force; the sith might say they're bending it to their will and the Jedi would say they're working in harmony for a common goal, but the result is the same. Just believing in it will get you nothing, it takes a force sensitive being to be able to interact with it in any meaningful way.
(and unrelated but its sooo obvious that George Lucas added that CGI into the film, the CGI of 1997 has not aged well compared to practical effects from 1977), it was just a simple story of "guys have to go to an evil base, rescue the princess, and then shoot down the evil base"
Trust me if you think the 97 CGI is dated you'd have a far worse time with the original. There's visible matte boxes around all the ships, the miniatures are obvious, the cantina looks much smaller, there's far less going on in Mos Eisley in general, the lightsaber effects are wonky etc. The 97 cut did wonders for ANH and Empire, it's mainly ROTJ that people have problems with.

And the basic outline is just the hero's journey. You take your character, take him out of complacency and into tragedy, have him trained by a mentor who sacrifices himself for the cause, which gives the protagonist motivation to complete the cause. There's thousands of films and novels that are based on these same basic principles.

the lovable little animatronic that is yoda

Animatronic in 1980 lol. Original Yoda was a Frank Oz puppet like the muppets!

Trust me if you think the 97 CGI is dated you'd have a far worse time with the original. There's visible matte boxes around all the ships, the miniatures are obvious, the cantina looks much smaller, there's far less going on in Mos Eisley in general, the lightsaber effects are wonky etc. The 97 cut did wonders for ANH and Empire, it's mainly ROTJ that people have problems with.

With the exception of the Jabba scene in Star Wars. That’s lame as fuck.

Also, Hans shot first.

With the exception of the Jabba scene in Star Wars. That’s lame as fuck.
Idk, it provides more throughline from New Hope to the latter 2 films, plus it's just a re-edit of an original deleted scene. The fact that Jabba puts up with Han stepping on his tail is out of character, but theres not much else to do since it was filmed with a human guy (and Jabba was only changed to a Hutt later down the line).

Idk, it provides more throughline from New Hope to the latter 2 films, plus it's just a re-edit of an original deleted scene. The fact that Jabba puts up with Han stepping on his tail is out of character, but theres not much else to do since it was filmed with a human guy (and Jabba was only changed to a Hutt later down the line).

I think the insertion of the hut character and Hans stepping on the tail is just messy. It’s not a well put together piece. I don’t think there is a need to explain the relationship, it’s clearly inferred that Hans is running from the debt from what has gone on around it.

I think the insertion of the hut character and Hans stepping on the tail is just messy. It’s not a well put together piece. I don’t think there is a need to explain the relationship, it’s clearly inferred that Hans is running from the debt from what has gone on around it.
Fair enough.

The narrative handholding helped me my first time viewing it as a kid. It's probably for the kids.

Fair enough.

The narrative handholding helped me my first time viewing it as a kid. It's probably for the kids.

Yeah I suppose I’m older. I was 14 in 1997 so I’d seen the original 3 several times before the special editions. I think I got them all on VHS the first time they came out in the early 90s. I’d got used to it not being in there and it kinda felt out of place.

But it’s definitely not inserting Hayden at the end of ROTJ either.

Right. It's basically a restatement of the Greedo scene and unnecessarily redundant. Greedo says exactly what Jabba says about dropping the cargo when an Imperial ship confronted Han and the price being on his head being huge. That's why it was cut when they did the original edit. Then you have the terrible line "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being" when Jabba is clearly not that. You know from the Greedo scene that Han is on the run and needs to pay off Jabba. Then you know it's escalated when he mentions needing to leave the Rebellion on Hoth to pay off Jabba because he has a bounty on his head and just dealt with a bounty hunter on Ord Mantell.

thanks for correcting me.. i knew that it was a puppet but I just used animatronic as just a catch all term for "ways of doing these effects before CGI was invented"

and yes frank oz is godly man who is fun as yoda and I as a person who likes the muppets should be stoned for calling yoda an animatronic instead of a puppet practical effect

So new manalorian season starts kinda slow
seems like episode 3 iz the first to point od tg
He direction coming with dr pershing, elisa and the empire striking back on bo -katan.

I think you can find it online but there is a good behind the scenes documentary called "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga". It shows the Jabba scene from A New Hope with the human actor (and how Han walks behind him which is why they couldn't use it in the original film). There's also a pretty cool scene where it shows all of the puppeteers inside the Jabba costume in Return of the Jedi.

I audibly cackled when Bo-Katan accidentally joined the cult. Only 5 minutes or so, but it was by far my favorite 5 minutes of the episode.
So new manalorian season starts kinda slow
seems like episode 3 iz the first to point od tg
He direction coming with dr pershing, elisa and the empire striking back on bo -katan.

I audibly cackled when Bo-Katan accidentally joined the cult. Only 5 minutes or so, but it was by far my favorite 5 minutes of the episode.
i Like the andoresque part about the reintegration of the imperial soldiers with them Dating nostalgic about their time in the empires forces. I like it when the series are actually colouring kn such patts of the world that show moral ambiguity besides just good vs evil " we thoughg we were the good guys"

Back