STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

Do you think? I’ve found of late, probably more in movies than in films, that LoTR created a trend back towards the epic and that there are a lot of films I’ve seen that’d be a hell of a lot better with a more enthusiastic edit. I don’t necessarily think that you need to be long or slow to build worlds or detail, you need to be good and far too many filmmakers feel the need to tell us things in great detail that could be just be shown.
I’m not sure I’ll be able to articulate this well, but of late I’ve seen a lot of movies and shows which strive to be epic and are overfull and overlong, yet rush from one plot point and action sequence to the next because they’re overstuffed. The script could use cuts, and the film editing itself is overcompensating. I see it the most in marvel movies; it’s a trudging slog where we never get a chance to stop and catch our breaths.

I think if you find it slow, I would wait until it's time for the finale and then binge the whole thing.
Probably wise move ..unfortunately the Internet can make avoiding spoilers an issue ....I’m kinda thinking we’re at episode 11 now with Andor ....and not that far along plot wise ....I worry for the series to do well , the pace may do for it as it plods along ..a bit like the rings of power which at least wrapped up in 8 episodes that also was a bit slow burning

I think House of the dragon got it exactly right , and grew into must see tv for each new episode

Did it? I gave up half way through the million episodes where old men talked about weddings around a table and no one else could act. Did it get better?

Fuck yeah ! You gotta watch the episode when Paddy Constantine gets off his death bed ...seriously second half of that season was awesomely ace (imo) 💁🏼‍♂️

Talking of how not to pace a tv show ..The walking dead ...is literally a slog to get to the end ..on the final season episode 9 and it is sooooo dull....they killed this show going to 20+ episodes ..it’s taken me 6 months to get thru 9 episodes as I keep falling asleep ...at least Covid enforced confinement might help get me to the end ..which I know is gonna be a massive let down

Last edited:
Talking of how not to pace a tv show ..The walking dead ...is literally a slog to get to the end ..on the final season episode 9 and it is sooooo dull....they killed this show going to 20+ episodes ..it’s taken me 6 months to get thru 9 episodes as I keep falling asleep ...at least Covid enforced confinement might help get me to the end ..which I now is gonna be a massive let down
I gave up just before they got to the dude with the tiger. I remember reading the first couple of compendiums 10 or so years ago and being really gripped by the story. The first season of the show seemed to capture it really well from what I remember but they it became dragged out beyond belief. A real shame.

I gave up just before they got to the dude with the tiger. I remember reading the first couple of compendiums 10 or so years ago and being really gripped by the story. The first season of the show seemed to capture it really well from what I remember but they it became dragged out beyond belief. A real shame.

It's at about the same spot for me, right after
Glenn dies
. I lost interest in both the comic and the show probably one season / one compendium after, right around when the tiger dude shows up.

That shit was stunning on my Chromebook - I can only imagine how much more amazing it was on a real setup of any sort!
I so wish they were still doing 4 seasons of this show, even though it would likely be overkill. I don't care. I want it.

I never knew they had the number up at 5; I've only ever heard 2. Knowing there'll be another season is comforting, but knowing it'll be finite is a bummer. Andor can end after 2, I just need more Gilroy Star Wars.
For as much as Gilroy has said he's not really a Star Wars guy, he's pretty much kicking ass as one. IMO, the level of respect for the universe is outstanding. So many little references/easter eggs that are just... there, rather than screaming "look at me!"

Like, one passing mention of Hosnian Prime suddenly making you go "oh yeah, that system exists in this galaxy" and suddenly doesn't seem like some nonsense Abrams added.

Or just spending time on Coruscant in Mon Mothma's home, or in the underworld of the planet. It's made me excited for what Star Wars can be, once again.

Back