STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

Two great things in one!

i chuckled

O55teVp.jpg

Sigh, I hate to say it. I've given it a chance, but The Mandolorian is a pretty average/lousy show. I tried. I really did. It LOOKS like the Star Wars I love, but the plot, script and acting (aside from Pascal and a couple others) are pretty miserable. I feel like most of these episodes could be mid season Star Trek Discovery episodes... The show is a huge wasted opportunity as far as I'm concerned...

Sigh, I hate to say it. I've given it a chance, but The Mandolorian is a pretty average/lousy show. I tried. I really did. It LOOKS like the Star Wars I love, but the plot, script and acting (aside from Pascal and a couple others) are pretty miserable. I feel like most of these episodes could be mid season Star Trek Discovery episodes... The show is a huge wasted opportunity as far as I'm concerned...
🤨

I'm with you on this; I'm an episode behind and just don't feel any impetus to watch. We wouldn't be paying attention to this show if it wasn't Star Wars.

It's a live action version of what Filoni did on Rebels or Clone Wars but more people die. I'm not sure what people were expecting. I loved Rebels so this show is great to me.
I never understand what people are expecting in general from things like Star Wars or Marvel movies or other popcorn films and franchises. Adults complaining about kids movies/shows because they aren't some form of high art baffles me.

Adults have always been clamouring for a more mature Star Wars. I think a lot of people wrongly assumed that this was different because it looked like a western from the previews. I mean anything with Favreau and Filoni heading it up isn't going to be made only for adults. And anything on Disney+ isn't going to be made for adults.

It's a live action version of what Filoni did on Rebels or Clone Wars but more people die. I'm not sure what people were expecting. I loved Rebels so this show is great to me.
I feel like its similar to Samurai Jack. I haven't watched Rebels or Clone Wars. I'm enjoying the show and find it odd how people turned heel and said its bad after the third episode.

I feel like its similar to Samurai Jack. I haven't watched Rebels or Clone Wars. I'm enjoying the show and find it odd how people turned heel and said its bad after the third episode.
Technically I waited till after the fifth episode to say it's a disappointment. Putting aside whether or not people are being unfair to the tone of the show. The last two episodes have been essentially mid season filler episodes. Mid season filler episodes in a season that only has 8 episodes. That's... bad.

Rogue One was as close to grown up Star Wars as I could hope to get. This show ain't even that. They could still pull it out of the fire, but these next 3 episodes better be dang good.

I'm not sure what people were expecting.

Something interesting? It's just been kinda bland; I had to watch episode four in two sittings because I just wasn't vibing with it and both the action and dialog were nothing new.

I never understand what people are expecting in general from things like Star Wars or Marvel movies or other popcorn films and franchises. Adults complaining about kids movies/shows because they aren't some form of high art baffles me.

Please don't conflate my ambivalence with petulance; I don't feel like I "deserve" a certain type of show, or that The Mandalorian is wrong or bad. It's just...bland.

I always feel like the "Star Wars is for kids" argument is a hall-pass argument that ignores the fact that Star Wars appealed to people of all ages and that, while it evokes a simpler, more childish type of entertainment, succeeds because it operates on a more mature (I don't mean gritty or dark, I mean in terms of craft and competence) level.

It all mounts a question I've been pondering more and more of late: if the original Star Wars is meant to evoke Flash Gordon serials, where the entire appeal is that we feel we've been dropped into an ongoing saga of countless stories and this is just one installment that barely scratches the surface...how do you continue a franchise like that?

Technically I waited till after the fifth episode to say it's a disappointment. Putting aside whether or not people are being unfair to the tone of the show. The last two episodes have been essentially mid season filler episodes. Mid season filler episodes in a season that only has 8 episodes. That's... bad.

Rogue One was as close to grown up Star Wars as I could hope to get. This show ain't even that. They could still pull it out of the fire, but these next 3 episodes better be dang good.
Your right, I honestly forgot it was a short order of episodes. I am one of those people who enjoy mid season filler because to me, its character development in a way. But it can't be justified that they add this to a short series unless they plan to continue it soon beyond its initial run. The first 3 episodes were great television to me and these episodes, while slower paced, were enjoyable. A lot of people don't feel the same.

Is it a terrible dumpster of a show. No, but it could be better too.

Show is fine, but I'd rather be watching the version of the show where our dude makes a different choice at the end of the third episode. They could have dropped the first three eps at once instead of the first two, and right when you think you know what show you're going to be watching, the Mando zigs instead of zags and the rest of the show is about a bad bounty hunter doing bad bounty hunter shit.

I mean I understand all the reasons why we've got the show that we do, but I'd have been 1000% in on that version instead of kinda vaguely wondering if there's a new Mandalorian available yet while we're trying to find something to watch.

I was hooked on The Madalorian with the first two episode. The mystery, the action, the subtle humor.
The lastest episodes tho have been hard to watch. Especially themost recent one. After it was done my wife looks at me and said, "Yeah, that was boring..." and the CGI was cringeworty...
Granted,these are filler episodes, which reminds me of XFiles. Not part of the greater story line.

Something interesting? It's just been kinda bland; I had to watch episode four in two sittings because I just wasn't vibing with it and both the action and dialog were nothing new.

Please don't conflate my ambivalence with petulance; I don't feel like I "deserve" a certain type of show, or that The Mandalorian is wrong or bad. It's just...bland.

I always feel like the "Star Wars is for kids" argument is a hall-pass argument that ignores the fact that Star Wars appealed to people of all ages and that, while it evokes a simpler, more childish type of entertainment, succeeds because it operates on a more mature (I don't mean gritty or dark, I mean in terms of craft and competence) level.

It all mounts a question I've been pondering more and more of late: if the original Star Wars is meant to evoke Flash Gordon serials, where the entire appeal is that we feel we've been dropped into an ongoing saga of countless stories and this is just one installment that barely scratches the surface...how do you continue a franchise like that?
Never said you or anyone else are claiming that you deserve anything, I just dont know what you're expecting.

And yes it appeals to all levels of people because we were all kids at one point. I disagree that it ever operated on a more mature level, the acting has always been subpar, the writing is so so at best and you must suspend belief to a major degree to even get through any of them. The main reason it ever got so popular is because it's a special effects marvel. It's been a vehicle to sell toys since the 80s.

As for your last point, comics have been running franchises on that exact premise for decades. Personally all I'm looking for from a star wars vehicle is baseline fun entertainment and personally the Mandalorian is delivering on that.

Back