STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

Never said you or anyone else are claiming that you deserve anything, I just dont know what you're expecting.

Again, not so much expecting anything, just not feeling very entertained or engaged by what I'm seeing. Even the complaint of the last two episodes being filler doesn't quite tap what I'm saying; I'm totally okay with (even kind of impressed by) the idea of each episode being a stand-alone monster-of-the-week deal; I'm just not finding it very interesting. I think the conversation around this show would be very different (probably non-existent) if it wasn't attached to the most recognizable IP in Disney's portfolio.

And yes it appeals to all levels of people because we were all kids at one point. I disagree that it ever operated on a more mature level, the acting has always been subpar, the writing is so so at best and you must suspend belief to a major degree to even get through any of them. The main reason it ever got so popular is because it's a special effects marvel. It's been a vehicle to sell toys since the 80s.

As for your last point, comics have been running franchises on that exact premise for decades. Personally all I'm looking for from a star wars vehicle is baseline fun entertainment and personally the Mandalorian is delivering on that.

I watched the OT when Disney+ arrived, and I'd argue those movies are better than you're giving them credit for. I think in hindsight the editing and music do a lot of heavy lifting, but the characters are strong, the action is interesting (again, could be attributed to editing, SFX, and design), the worldbuilding is dense yet deft, and the pure Joseph Campbell semiotics of it all are super effective at conveying a lot with very little. I guess I just don't quite see how fans deflecting criticism with "these movies are bad and for children and they're just meant to sell toys" is anything but a self-own.

I guess my last point was more along the lines of "when the intrigue comes from the idea that this is part of a larger whole that we can't see, how do you add more parts without diluting that specific appeal?" Using comics as an example, Watchmen totally does this; it implies that the original Minutemen are an established supergroup, and the implication is that there are volumes and volumes of Minutemen adventures, all of which are assumably by-the-book, rote superhero tales. Which is why I think the new Watchmen show is so successful; instead of just expanding on the story of the Minutemen, the show takes the ideas and questions explored in and driving the Watchmen book and throws its own new ideas out there. It expands the canvas, rather than shading in details and crowding the existing one.

So while it would be an insane ask to expect the equivalent of HBO Watchmen from The Mandalorian, what we're getting feels more like American Hero Story.

I guess I just don't quite see how fans deflecting criticism with "these movies are bad and for children and they're just meant to sell toys" is anything but a self-own.
Because theres nothing wrong with enjoying shallow entertainment, and I dont say it's made for children as a knock against it. It's all about expectations going in for me I dont expect Star Wars to be The Expanse, but I would be disappointed if the Expanse was Star Wars. You're right the world building is great in Star Wars and that's a major draw to me, along with the strength of the characters that I attached to at a young age.
I guess my last point was more along the lines of "when the intrigue comes from the idea that this is part of a larger whole that we can't see, how do you add more parts without diluting that specific appeal?" Using comics as an example, Watchmen totally does this; it implies that the original Minutemen are an established supergroup, and the implication is that there are volumes and volumes of Minutemen adventures, all of which are assumably by-the-book, rote superhero tales. Which is why I think the new Watchmen show is so successful; instead of just expanding on the story of the Minutemen, the show takes the ideas and questions explored in and driving the Watchmen book and throws its own new ideas out there. It expands the canvas, rather than shading in details and crowding the existing one.

So while it would be an insane ask to expect the equivalent of HBO Watchmen from The Mandalorian, what we're getting feels more like American Hero Story.
Yes but for me Watchmen is much more art than Star Wars is. When DC expanded on Watchmen with the Before Watchmen series I felt like it was diluting the original due to it just being expansion for expansions sake, while the HBO show actually does "expand the canvas, rather than shade in the details" I think a better comparison for Star Wars in comic world is something like Batman. A character I fell in love with at an early age, and I could read comics where they just shade in the details til the cows come home. More pulp than art. Yes there are writers who expand the canvas of Batman, but that's the exception and not the rule. I'll gladly take a Star Wars property that expands the canvas, but also I'm more than happy at them shading in the details with the Mandalorian. Shows like The Mandalorian will never make a "Best of" list for me, but that doesnt mean I cant find a lot to enjoy in it.

P.S. I'm a little high and love your expand the canvas vs shade in the details analogy, if you cant tell.

I fuckin hate baby yoda.

And I concur, first two episodes were good(dare I say even great) but I didn't want to watch Mando being a single dad, the other episodes just felt bland and maybe even forced(with the whole "trying to develop a love interest" thing. Will probably finish the series, it's only 8 after all, but I can't say I'm still excited about that.

Need some help from the star wars folk here.

What is the proper order to watch everything if you watch them in chronological order.

Is it Episode 1, 2 and 3. Rouge One, Mandalorian, Episodes 4, 5 and 6? And not really sure how everything else fits.

Need some help from the star wars folk here.

What is the proper order to watch everything if you watch them in chronological order.

Is it Episode 1, 2 and 3. Rouge One, Mandalorian, Episodes 4, 5 and 6? And not really sure how everything else fits.

Mandalorian is set after VI. Other than that, the order is right. Solo before Rogue One, if you want to include it.

Episode 5 was really fun!

Starting right in the middle of a space dogfight was cool. A bit silly that the rival dies in one hit, but I’m getting over it @Woob_woob, I swear! I do wish more of these residual characters were aliens, but w/e. Then I just adore that Mando’s like, damn, need some credits. Let’s go to the saloon and get a quest! :D It’s just so gamer nostalgia that I ate it up. Helping a new guild recruit on their first quest? How freaking cute nostalgic is that?! The Tusken raider bargaining was delightful. I thought the twist was definitely going to be that the bounty hunter was in cahoots with the assassin, but this was better! Dude was a dumbass though. Mando carries his ass the whole mission (even taking THREE sniper shots), but he thinks he can take him!?

It’s not the dark, gritty Star Wars bounty hunter tale I can tell some of us wanted, but looking at it as a silly-ish kids Star Wars story, I’m in.

I absolutely love The Mandalorian so far. It’s a cool Lone Wolf and Club set in the Star Wars universe.

that being said, I absolutely hated episode 6, it did not make sense to the character they’ve set up to date. It was lazy storytelling to obviously set up a rogues gallery.

I absolutely love The Mandalorian so far. It’s a cool Lone Wolf and Club set in the Star Wars universe.

that being said, I absolutely hated episode 6, it did not make sense to the character they’ve set up to date. It was lazy storytelling to obviously set up a rogues gallery.

I don’t quite love it, it’s kinda ok but enjoyable. Episode 6 was trash though, 100% agree.

All the Mandalorian is wanting to make me do is watch Firefly! Lolol
The latest episode was okay, but I want to know more... it explained nothing.. where are they going, who’s the Yoda Baby...

i thought the latest mandalorian episode was really enjoyable. for the series, i like that each episode is largely self contained and takes us to different places and characters. ‘adventure of the week’ tv is kind of old school and it’s been awhile since i’ve actually watched a show like this.

Yeah, if anyone thought we were getting something that wasn't basically Return of the Jedi on steroids then you don't know JJ Abrams. I'm going Thursday and pretty excited but I know it's not really going to be much more than a derivative of previous Star Wars movies thrown together in a lens flare blender. I'm more excited for more of the Rey/Kylo dynamic than anything else. The upside is at least Filoni is onboard for world and story crafting going forward, something that plagued this sequel series from the get go. And maybe Disney+ will allow Lucasfilm to do more fun projects like the Mandalorian that aren't life or death with ridiculous expectations. I'm ready to see more Star Wars that's free of the Skywalker legacy.

Back