STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

This excites me. Volume 1 was enjoyable enough but I definitely preferred the Marvel ones. I'm excited to see where volume 2 goes.

Also, BUCKETS OF BLOOD is just awesome!
Yes! Buckets of Blood best doctor hands down.

I like how Daniel Jose Older incorporates the padawan he created for "Race to Crashpoint Tower". I like Ram Jomaran. It makes sense that in a time of peace you'd have lots of jedi who focus their skills on things other than combat. Midnight Horizon will be my next read, hope to see some of these characters pop up in there.

Yeah, we got 3 "waves" for phase 1, each consisting of 1 adult novel, 1 YA novel, 1 middle-grade novel, and 1 young readers picture-book (Just counting the books for now). Generally I find you should read the adult novel first, to get an idea of the bigger picture, before delving into the others.

Monster of Temple Peak is awesome. I doesn't tie into anything else, it's just a character introduction for Ty Yorrick, who's a major player in The Rising Storm.

I also gotta give a shout-out to the young readers comic series "The High Republic Adventures" by Daniel Jose Older. The second trade paperback just came out and its awesome.
View attachment 130595

It follows Yoda and his group of padawans, viewing the conflicts from a younglings perspective. The art is fantastic; it's great seeing some moments from the novels in visual form. It's surprisingly relevant too, the first volume involved Marchion Ro obtaining an important item that you see him in possession of at the beginning of The Rising Storm.

Overall im just very pleased at the scope and quality of this project. Never thought I'd be reading young-reader Star Wars comics.
That's the one on my reading list before rising storm

That's the one on my reading list before rising storm
If you're talking High Republic Adventures, just be sure to read The Rising Storm before the second volume to avoid spoilers.

Reactions: Jan
Yes! Buckets of Blood best doctor hands down.

I like how Daniel Jose Older incorporates the padawan he created for "Race to Crashpoint Tower". I like Ram Jomaran. It makes sense that in a time of peace you'd have lots of jedi who focus their skills on things other than combat. Midnight Horizon will be my next read, hope to see some of these characters pop up in there.
Have you listened to the tempest runter Audio book. I'm not too big a Fan of Audio books mainly because i have a hard time finding time for them, but the Story seems intriguing, too

Have you listened to the tempest runter Audio book. I'm not too big a Fan of Audio books mainly because i have a hard time finding time for them, but the Story seems intriguing, too
Yea, I did. It's cool that it's a fully fledged audio-drama; every character gets a unique voice-actor so it's lands somewhere in-between an audio book and an episode of a TV show that you watch with your eyes closed. Parts of it were a little confusing, and I wish I could just read back over certain sections to better understand what's going on, but thankfully it's being released in print form soon (May I think?). The story itself is solid, it gives a fully fleshed-out backstory to Lourna Dee, jumping around at a couple points in time to give you an idea of her life. It's solid if unnecessary .

Halfway through Midnight Horizon and loving it. So far it's definitely my favorite of the YA books. I think that might be due to Daniel Jose Older's writing. I really like the Adventures comic, and Race to Crashpoint Tower but it's really great seeing him get to explore some more complex storylines. Also his characterization is just so good. Zeen and Lula from the comic really shine here, along with Ram. Plus I'm a sucker for gay subtext, and theres a lot of good stuff here.

After this I have Mission to Disaster to read, the last issues of the 2 comics, and finally Eye of the Storm #2 (Which Charles Soule says should be the last thing you read in phase 1) and then that's it until phase 2 starts in October. Most engaged I've been in Star Wars since I was a kid. I call that a success.

Absolutely do that. The comic is amazing, but it really plays off of events in the novels. Light of The Jedi really sets the whole era in motion, and then the Drengir are first unleased in Into the Dark. Really great stuff, im looking forward very much to Phase 2.

I just put in an order with my local bookseller for The Great Jedi Rescue and Showdown at the Fair for the 4-year-old (and, let's be real here, myself too!) and decided to have them throw their last paperback copy of Light of the Jedi on hold for myself in the meanwhile. It's gonna be the first Star Wars novel I've read in 20+ years and I'm quite excited.

I'm also very excited about the kiddo's books. We've been reading both 5-Minute Star Wars Stories collections for a few months now, and they're great - but it will be nice to dig into some new territory too after at least half a dozen times through all the others!

I'm sure it's been mentioned on here but Star Wars "Visions" on Disney+? Holy hell that first 17 minute episode is incredible. Where is this kind of imagination on the live action shows? So cool.

I'm sure it's been mentioned on here but Star Wars "Visions" on Disney+? Holy hell that first 17 minute episode is incredible. Where is this kind of imagination on the live action shows? So cool.

I've been meaning to finally get to it. I've heard nothing but good things.

20220307_203413.jpg

Did Showdown at the Fair at bedtime tonight and I enjoyed it - possibly more than the kid. I'm going to try and finish at least one of the other three or four books I'm reading before I crack the novel, but I know that's probably not what's going to happen!

Here's a really nice chart someone posted on the High Republic subreddit, showing the diffrent storylines and gaps in time.
7q2fjz4029m81.jpeg

Also, the Tempest Runner hardcover arrives next week! Didn't realize it was so soon, definitely going to give it a read.

On one hand, I really dislike the idea of Obi Wan and Vader dueling again, brings down the stakes for their duel in ANH. Don't love the Disney Inquisitors, BOBF left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Tatooine, and the Legends material about this time are just so good (Last of the Jedi YA books, and John Jackson Miller's Kenobi) I can't help but compare them.

On the other hand, Ewan McGregor. Ok yeah I'll watch it.

Yes, I'm not generally a fan of prequels because you already know who lives or dies with your existing heroes and villains. That said, a live action story with the Inquisitors hunting Jedi children could be really good and it looks like we finally get more SW content that's not solely on Tatooine. Part of me is wanting Obi Wan to live out his time in the desert watching over Luke as his penance for failing with Anakin. The other part of me loves seeing Ewan play the role again. I think the existing canon gives plenty of room for another Obi Wan and Vader duel. The Ahsoka Vader duel in Rebels was pretty incredible. Plus, I enjoy the idea of giving Hayden more room to play the Vader role with writing that isn't Lucas.

The Ahsoka Vader duel in Rebels was pretty incredible.
Let's not forget Filoni introduced fucking time travel to save her.

I really dislike that series. It gets so much about Star Wars wrong.

View attachment 131459

Did Showdown at the Fair at bedtime tonight and I enjoyed it - possibly more than the kid. I'm going to try and finish at least one of the other three or four books I'm reading before I crack the novel, but I know that's probably not what's going to happen!

I may have been wrong about enjoying Showdown at the Fair more than the kiddo - we read it four more times between Tuesday morning and him leaving for his mom's an hour ago. He really likes it!

I may have been wrong about enjoying Showdown at the Fair more than the kiddo - we read it four more times between Tuesday morning and him leaving for his mom's an hour ago. He really likes it!
Love to hear it- Burryaga is such a fantastic character that everyone can enjoy. It's cool to see a Jedi who's greatest strength is their empathy. He has a great role in Light of the Jedi, can't wait to see what the future holds.

Back