STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

I've stalled out a bit in my second attempt to watch Clone Wars in the chronological order that can be readily found online. I've heard amazing things and enjoy what I've seen well enough, but haven't been all the way grabbed yet. I'm more likely to spin a couple of records than watch a couple of episodes...
Yeah, same. My son has watched the whole series and keeps trying to get me to watch it, but it's a slow start for sure.

Yeah, same. My son has watched the whole series and keeps trying to get me to watch it, but it's a slow start for sure.
Try as I might, I just can't get into the Clone Wars. Perhaps it's just my issue with prequels in general. I liked Rebels because it at least was adjacent to what happened in the existing canon but had characters whose fates weren't already known. I did watch the final season of Clone Wars as the Ahsoka plotline was very enjoyable but that was also due to me enjoying her run on Rebels. I oddly enjoy the Bad Batch

Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule is the initial book that lays the groundwork for the era with all the characters and such. It reminded me of reading the Song of Ice and Fire books for the first time with the sheer amount of characters introduced. Personally I just had to google characters a lot to get an idea of what to visualize them as. Lots of names, but its worth it.
View attachment 124982

After that you have a couple diffrent ways you can go. The adult novels tell the core story of the era, with the Marvel comic filling in important gaps. Then you can read as much as you desire. The YA novels, middle grade books, and the IDW young readers comic all have characters and plot points that move from book to book. Personally that's whats made me read them all. Here's a handy guide for choosing what to read after Light of the Jedi.
started reading light of the jedi this week . i have it from my public library online, so i red on a tablet. which comes in handy bacause i can have wookiepedia on in a browser and look up the races or starship designs. i know my twi`lek or wookie but anselmi or nautolan not so much anymore. Also reading this in english as a non-native speaker sometimes has me questioning if words are just normal english words i don´t know or star wars specific terms like lekku

started reading light of the jedi this week . i have it from my public library online, so i red on a tablet. which comes in handy bacause i can have wookiepedia on in a browser and look up the races or starship designs. i know my twi`lek or wookie but anselmi or nautolan not so much anymore. Also reading this in english as a non-native speaker sometimes has me questioning if words are just normal english words i don´t know or star wars specific terms like lekku
Yeah that sounds about right. The names and races definitely prevent a barrier to entry; I did a similar thing as you and had to look up some races to better visualize in my mind. You really just have to know the main ones, maybe throw in Trandoshans and Togruta's. That's something that gets easier as the books go on and characters die, and you start to see who the main ones are that the narrative will follow. I see lots of parallels to the SOIAF series in that regard.

Reactions: Jan
Yeah that sounds about right. The names and races definitely prevent a barrier to entry; I did a similar thing as you and had to look up some races to better visualize in my mind. You really just have to know the main ones, maybe throw in Trandoshans and Togruta's. That's something that gets easier as the books go on and characters die, and you start to see who the main ones are that the narrative will follow. I see lots of parallels to the SOIAF series in that regard.
This is helpful
the-high-republic-character-poster-012821-full.jpg

This is helpful
the-high-republic-character-poster-012821-full.jpg
That is great, and that's a really expansive character chart. Almost all of these guys make a cameo appearance in Light of the Jedi but are fleshed out in other material. Keeve Trennis and Sskeer are the main characters in the Marvel comic. Reath Silas is the central character in the YA novels, and Vernestra and Imri are in the "they have no right to be this good" middle grade books. Lily Tora-assi is the central character in the manga, which has one volume out so far. It's alright.

That is great, and that's a really expansive character chart. Almost all of these guys make a cameo appearance in Light of the Jedi but are fleshed out in other material. Keeve Trennis and Sskeer are the main characters in the Marvel comic. Reath Silas is the central character in the YA novels, and Vernestra and Imri are in the "they have no right to be this good" middle grade books. Lily Tora-assi is the central character in the manga, which has one volume out so far. It's alright.
You've been right. Finished light of the Jedi yesterday and it's great. Test of courage was the one I could immediately get from the library so that is up next

You've been right. Finished light of the Jedi yesterday and it's great. Test of courage was the one I could immediately get from the library so that is up next
That's awesome, love to hear it. I'm a huge fan of the character of Vernestra, Test of Courage is a great introduction. Even though it's written for middle-grade I didn't feel pandered to; it's basically the same tone as an episode of The Clone Wars.

That's awesome, love to hear it. I'm a huge fan of the character of Vernestra, Test of Courage is a great introduction. Even though it's written for middle-grade I didn't feel pandered to; it's basically the same tone as an episode of The Clone Wars.
I have to admit I never watched clone wars

I have to admit I never watched clone wars
It's a show you'll get a lot of divisive opinions on, but it's generally a good example of a medium made for kids that has enough depth and purposeful execution to be enjoyed by adults (at least the non-filler episodes). Just because it's all ages doesn't necessarily mean it's strictly for kids.

Edit: Also the fact that it was produced from 2008-2020 (with some breaks) really shows the increase in animation quality. It's hard to believe it was the same show.

So the season finale came back to the weaknesses (and a frew strenghts) of the series.
First and foremost:
The whole thing does not make any sense for a Boba Fett series. Besides the costume the character has nothing in common with the movie character. Leave Boba Fett out and make Cobb Vance ( maybe even in Bobas Armor) the main character and you get some plausible motivation for the fight against the pyke syndicate. Even the sand people back story does not plausibly make boba this hero who wants to die for the people of mos espa.
In Bobas final scene parading the scene he even says himself he is not made for this. So still unclear why he wanted to sit on Jabbas throne in the first place and went through all this.
The mandalorean parts were the reddeming thing of the series and with the luke cameo that was fan service that plausibly fit into the story. Also Grogu refusing jedi trainig and skywalkers othodoxy because of his attachment to the mandalorean might be interesting to see where they spin this in the future.
The big battle scene had some nice scenes but some rancor scenes looked like lord of the rings outtakes.
But mainly: that whole battle scene made no sense. There is this big battle about the future of the planet and theres about 15 people on each side: i understand limited funds for a tv production but then you have to write your material accortdingly.
Then both sides used the utmost stupid tactics possible: Team boba has some of his most recognizable people split up and standing in the middle of busy places as reconnaissance?
Team Pyke decides to first let half of its foot soldiers get slaughtered before they bring their gigantic killer robots in. and once the robots with their shields come in the rest of the footsoldiers stand handily before them to get killed.
Okay, the Pykes cross Boba by signing on the local clans to betray him, but then ambush the isolated team members in the dumbest way possible.
Fennec Shand a t least stayed in character and just slaughtered all the leaders in her final scene.
It´s kind of petty to criticise logic in a space opera but i hate it when fantasy or scifi stories can´t maintain a logic within their own framework
Overall, let´s hope for no more Books of boba fett

I like venestra but particularly like avon starts as a non-Jedi point of view. I am a scientist so I might be biased there

Me to Mando the entire episode: "You have a lightsaber, you dolt"

I also am desperate to know how many Trandoshans Krrsantan took out. Like are there any left in the city?

I like venestra but particularly like avon starts as a non-Jedi point of view. I am a scientist so I might be biased there
In The Fallen Star there's some really interesting developments for Avon and her family, i'm interested to see how she will react in future books.

Where I used to be an absolute stickler for continuity, canon and the way things should be, I've found myself being a lot more willing to just shut the fuck up and enjoy the ride in my older age, while also being more selective of what and where I choose to spend time doing so with. As a result, I've enjoyed this series more than many, it would seem - while also being able to acknowledge where people's various beefs stem from and fully agreeing with many of them, while still enjoying things nevertheless.

That said,
the complete lack of consistency with Krrsantan's injuries and ability to move independently one second and the need to be helped the next, only to flip flop back and forth a few more times, was unreasonably frustrating for me!

I couldn't figure out why Luke's voice has been so stilted and awful this season. I figured it was Hamill doing some voice wizardry to de age himself since the majority of his middle years were spent doing voice acting. But this season Luke just sounded WAY off to me. So I find out yesterday that the reason for this is that Hamill didn't voice him this year. Or rather he did, but it was a fucking computer AI that pulled in a whole bunch of his previous voice work as Luke from various sources and fucking created that voice and digitally read those lines, and predictably IT SUCKED. I hate this more than I can possibly express. This is not the way forward.

The season finale was a grave reminder that this is in fact, still the Book of Boba Fett and not Mandolorian season 3.
Cad Bane was cool though. Filoni and co are good with fan service. It does bug me that Luke isn't setting up his academy on Yavin IV though. I get that's in legends, but its just so iconic to the EU.

Back