STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

Boba Fett is fan service and the entire episode was forced plot device after forced plot device to give all the Boba Fett Stans hard-ons. It was a fun episode, but it was disappointing. Having a Bounty Hunter with every reason to hate the Jedi and no reason to follow any "honour" codes, and an Imperial Assassin who is inexplicably honour bound to the Bounty Hunter for turning her into a cyborg, all of a sudden team up with Din, because "they promised" It's nonsense,
It's very interesting seeing the different types of Star Wars fandom get their due in this show; I did not watch any of the Filoni cartoons, so I have no attachment to Ashoka. I did read the Thrawn books, and yet dropping him into this show feels a little shoehorned (though I'd love to see a blue John Hamm come at the role). Same with Fett; I read Tales from Jabba's Palace (or was it Tales of the Bounty Hunters?) and am no stranger to postulating how he may have survived, but I just don't need it in this show.

It feels like The Mandalorian itself answers the question "what if there was a Boba Fett show?", so it feels a bit indulgent to double down and straight up serve us some Fett, not because the story calls for it, but rather because the fans do.

I know people love Dave Filoni, but I feel like that's because he's good at franchise maintenance. Which can be good, I guess. But it feels more like he's trying to make the prequels cohesive with the OT (and probably making the sequel trilogy of a piece with those, gauging how The Mando is trying to answer how the First Order came about). In an era where nothing is sacred and everything is up for remaking/rebooting, I'd rather see someone try to break it, try to probe the edges rather than seal the cracks.

It's very interesting seeing the different types of Star Wars fandom get their due in this show; I did not watch any of the Filoni cartoons, so I have no attachment to Ashoka. I did read the Thrawn books, and yet dropping him into this show feels a little shoehorned (though I'd love to see a blue John Hamm come at the role). Same with Fett; I read Tales from Jabba's Palace (or was it Tales of the Bounty Hunters?) and am no stranger to postulating how he may have survived, but I just don't need it in this show.

It feels like The Mandalorian itself answers the question "what if there was a Boba Fett show?", so it feels a bit indulgent to double down and straight up serve us some Fett, not because the story calls for it, but rather because the fans do.

I know people love Dave Filoni, but I feel like that's because he's good at franchise maintenance. Which can be good, I guess. But it feels more like he's trying to make the prequels cohesive with the OT (and probably making the sequel trilogy of a piece with those, gauging how The Mando is trying to answer how the First Order came about). In an era where nothing is sacred and everything is up for remaking/rebooting, I'd rather see someone try to break it, try to probe the edges rather than seal the cracks.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of your analysis. I'm enjoying this season IMMEASURABLY more than the first but I've long since given up any hope of a logical cohesive narrative making it's way into the show... At this point I'm just here for the explosions and pretty pictures. I feel like 90% of the episodes are just the equivalent of the showrunners raising their eyebrows at the fanboys and going "Eh? Eh?! LOOK WHAT WE DID NOW! Boom, Ahsoka, boom Boba Fett, boom Thrawn (probably). GET EXCITED NERDS!" It's not what I wanted from the show but that ship has sailed. I'll just have to be happy with my gritty Rogue One and be done with it.
I will say though that I was thrilled to see that they made my Stormtrooper Commander Armor canon this week for I believe the first time ever. The standard trooper with standard blaster and orange commander pauldron was never an official designation up until this episode... I don't think.
20200322_182958.jpg
(Not pictured, dog staring inquisitively at Stormtrooper on porch)

Last edited:

I wholeheartedly agree with both of your analysis. I'm enjoying this season IMMEASURABLY more than the first but I've long since given up any hope of a logical cohesive narrative making it's way into the show... At this point I'm just here for the explosions and pretty pictures. I feel like 90% of the episodes are just the equivalent of the showrunners raising their eyebrows at the fanboys and going "Eh? Eh?! LOOK WHAT WE DID NOW! Boom, Ahsoka, boom Bobba Fett, boom Thrawn (probably). GET EXCITED NERDS!" It's not what I wanted from the show but that ship has sailed. I'll just have to be happy with my gritty Rogue One and be done with it.
I will say though that I was thrilled to see that they made my Stormtrooper Commander Armor canon this week for I believe the first time ever. The standard trooper with standard blaster and orange commander pauldron was never an official designation up until this episode... I don't think.
View attachment 79409
(Not pictured, dog staring inquisitively at Stormtrooper on porch)
I'm not 100% on the ins and outs, but I do think you see a few pauldrons on Tatooine:
latest

But yeah, I found it pretty cool to see; I don't quite know how to explain it, but fleshing out light details like this feels a lot less like fan service than other, more overt moves. Feels more like someone playing with the toys rather than showing them off.

I'm not 100% on the ins and outs, but I do think you see a few pauldrons on Tatooine:
latest

But yeah, I found it pretty cool to see; I don't quite know how to explain it, but fleshing out light details like this feels a lot less like fan service than other, more overt moves.
I can't see the image for some reason but if you're referring to OG Star Was then yeah in the earlier films there are many orange pauldrons but they generally are used by sandtrooper commanders which had different armor from the standard type or I THIIIINK if the commanders wore standard Trooper armor they had heavy blasters with some additions to the belt packs and armor. I could be wrong but from what I remember this is the first time I've seen a totally standard trooper with a E-11 blaster wearing a orange pauldron. Although like I said, I could certainly be wrong. There might be some in Rogue One. But I think they wore white pauldrons.

Last edited:

I've watch the animated shows and read some of the books. I thought Season 1 was outstanding, while Season 2 is introducing too many fan service characters at once for my liking.

I was excited to see Bo-Katan as I felt like she easily tied in to the Mando story and would like to see her back to fight Moff Gideon and reclaim the dark saber.

I fan-boyed out for Ashoka, and would be happy with more of her, but Grand Admiral Thrawn can wait until Season 4 or 5, or most likely a spin-off show.

I disliked Boba Fett returning, but hated that it didn't make sense. Really? He couldn't have just taken it from Marshall Raylan Givens? And Slave 1 is fine and not picked apart by Jawas?

That said, I like Mando infinitely better than any of the "new" Star Wars films, except Rogue One which is the best film outside the OG Trilogy.

I can't see the image for some reason but if you're referring to OG Star Was then yeah in the earlier films there are many orange pauldrons but they generally are used by sandtrooper commanders which had different armor from the standard type or I THIIIINK if the commanders wore standard Trooper armor they had heavy blasters with some additions to the belt packs and armor. I could be wrong but from what I remember this is the first time I've seen a totally standard trooper with a E-11 blaster wearing a orange pauldron. Although like I said, I could certainly be wrong. There might be some in Rogue One. But I think they wore white pauldrons.

giphy.gif

It's funny because in middle school I could've probably run laps around most people, lore-and-detail-wise. These days I'm entirely out of my depth. I salute you.

giphy.gif

It's funny because in middle school I could've probably run laps around most people, lore-and-detail-wise. These days I'm entirely out of my depth. I salute you.
Hahaha oh I have no idea either really. I just remember when I got my armour years ago there were a lot of different variations that you needed in order to get into the 501st (which I didn't really have any interest in, but the variations were interesting) and I just remember that the pauldron without the added armor pieces or heavy blaster was a no no.

Not trying to renew any beefs, but I just wanna send a little Last Jedi love out into the galaxy. It's simply my favorite Star Wars thing to come out in the last 30-odd years, and I love that the fandom is vibrant and varied enough to have different aspects that delight people in different ways (when it's not eating itself). <3

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Not trying to renew any beefs, but I just wanna send a little Last Jedi love out into the galaxy. It's simply my favorite Star Wars thing to come out in the last 30-odd years, and I love that the fandom is vibrant and varied enough to have different aspects that delight people in different ways (when it's not eating itself). <3

Shame there was never a follow-up.

Enjoyed it at the cinema , not so much on a rewatch .. that whole fin and rose escapade dragged it down ( and not letting Leia die) but it’s follow up was worse imo

So I just watched the last Star Wars film again there. I think I like it less now than the first time. Such a mess. Such a lack of jeopardy, such a lack of story. I didn’t think I’d ever say this but I actually think it might be worse than Attack of the Clones. Such a letdown after the Last Jedi which was the best Star Wars film since Empire.

So I just watched the last Star Wars film again there. I think I like it less now than the first time. Such a mess. Such a lack of jeopardy, such a lack of story. I didn’t think I’d ever say this but I actually think it might be worse than Attack of the Clones. Such a letdown after the Last Jedi which was the best Star Wars film since Empire.
I said I didn't want to fight, Joe...

I have my opinions, you have yours. Undead emperor lost me.
I was referring to your slight of Return of the Jedi. In my opinion all the new movies except Rogue One are hot garbage, with The Last Jedi being not only the worst Star Wars movie, but literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

But again... I don't want to fight, look how cute this little guy is:

tenor.gif

I was referring to your slight of Return of the Jedi. In my opinion all the new movies except Rogue One are hot garbage, with The Last Jedi being not only the worst Star Wars movie, but literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

But again... I don't want to fight, look how cute this little guy is:

tenor.gif

Hahaha! The worst Star Wars movie is Attack of the Clones, by a long way!

Don‘t get me started on the Madelorian!

I concur on Last Jedi, Ryan wanted to expand the universe, only for it to be shrunk back in by Rise of Skywalker. Rogue One is undoubtedly my favorite of the new Star Wars.

Back