September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 18 - “Swamp”
Now let me tell you a story. The Devil has a plan.
Play an album with an overarching story.

The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree

This album is about Darnielle's teen years and the abuse he suffered at home from his stepfather and the ways he coped (and didn't). I relate way too much with this album (although it was a stepmother in my case) because it's like a peek into an alternate world where I rebelled during those years instead of futilely keeping my head down until I could leave for college.

IMG_20210929_160245875_HDR.jpg

Day 27 - Cities

20210929_195134.jpg

ABBA - Super Trouper

I was gonna rep my hometown of philly but I wasn't feeling any if my philly albums so I'm gonna go with my favorite international city of Paris! My 2013 trip to France was life changing and I really got to get back!!

Day 27 - “Cities”
Find a city. Find myself a city to live in.
Play an album that references a city you like. What do you like about it?

It's not my Salem, but it's a Salem.

Various ‎– The Lords Of Salem (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Waxwork Records ‎– WW089, 2013/2021

Pressed at GZ/MRP

lDaTrT.jpg

RJa3vV.jpg

Day 30 - “Crosseyed and Painless”

They're back! To explain their experience. Isn't it weird? Looks too obscure to me.

Look back at the records you played this month. Play an album that you feel summarizes your selections. Or play something that reflects your September. One could also just play a Talking Heads record.
———
But, of course…

Earth, Wind & Fire - “September” from “The Best of Earth, Wind & Fire, Vol. 1”

Because no musical group stirs me more than EWF! What a fun run this has been - thanks so much for the journey, Turbo!!

09CF13DF-06C7-4247-9500-7DC8B480A5D6.jpeg

Day 29 - And She Was

20210930_000316.jpg

Godspell

A musical based on the Gospel of St Matthew obviously has alot of references to heaven and the afterlife but my favorite one (and arguably my favorite line from the whole show) is from "Alas to You" when Jesus is calling out theLawyers and Pharisees he says to them

"Sure that the kingdom of Heaven awaits you, You will not venture half so far.Other men that might enter the gates you Keep from passing through! Drag them down with you! You snakes, you viper's brood You cannot escape being Devil's food!"

They're back! To explain their experience. Isn't it weird? Looks too obscure to me.
Look back at the records you played this month. Play an album that you feel summarizes your selections. Or play something that reflects your September. One could also just play a Talking Heads record.

I was in college at UNC when MTV hit the air. In the beginning, it felt like they had about 30 videos that kept getting recycled throughout the day. A few stood out.

One that stood out was a sweating, panting, David Byrne raving about his beautiful wife and water underground and chopping his own arm and insisting everything was "same as it ever was" while I watched something that was unlike anything that ever was. The first decade or so of MTV was spectacular.

A few years later I saw the Stop Making Sense tour in Chapel Hill. It was sublime. If not for MTV and the video for this song, I may have missed out on this whole trip...

Talking Heads - Remain In Light

20210930_001138.jpg

Good times, @Turbo. Cheers.

Saved this one for today. First play:) 🔥

Day 28 – “Take Me To River”
Take me to the river and wash me down. Won't you cleanse my soul, put my feet on the ground.
Play something that relates to Green. A green record? A song that references the color green? Something by Al Green?

Don Davis – The Matrix (The Complete Edition)
Varèse Sarabande – VSD00301, 2021

RSD21 - Drop #2 - limited to 2,500

Cut by Anne-Marie Suenram
Pressed at RTI

KjVcov.jpg

tWeaoo.jpg

Day 29 - “And She Was”
Not touching the ground at all and she's up above the yard. The world was moving, she was right there with it and she was.
Play an album that references angels, the sky, heaven or the afterlife.

Ghost - Meliora

Do fallen angels count? Because there’s tons of references to heaven, hell and of course Satan on this album.

422C88CF-EA7E-4D6E-9ADB-2C6620F187B5.jpeg

Talking Heads - Fear of Music

93BFC2C7-3760-4683-AC26-2472104CB944.jpeg

Better jump on this Talking Heads party early! My early memories of Talking Heads are the same as @Yer Ol' Uncle D . Never saw them live, but finally saw David Byrne on the American Utopia tour, and it was amazing.

Thanks for the fun month @Turbo, loved the theme and the spins.

Talking Heads ~ Stop Making Sense

1633016783123.png

Better jump on this Talking Heads party early! My early memories of Talking Heads are the same as @Yer Ol' Uncle D . Never saw them live, but finally saw David Byrne on the American Utopia tour, and it was amazing.

Thanks for the fun month @Turbo, loved the theme and the spins.

Talking Heads ~ Stop Making Sense

View attachment 113589
Thankfully I am fairly deep in Talking Heads albums, still I better get on it as my prospects are beginning to dwindle.

Talking Heads "True Stories" (1986 EMI Japan)

IMG_1826.JPG

Day 29 - And She Was

View attachment 113563

Godspell

A musical based on the Gospel of St Matthew obviously has alot of references to heaven and the afterlife but my favorite one (and arguably my favorite line from the whole show) is from "Alas to You" when Jesus is calling out theLawyers and Pharisees he says to them

"Sure that the kingdom of Heaven awaits you, You will not venture half so far.Other men that might enter the gates you Keep from passing through! Drag them down with you! You snakes, you viper's brood You cannot escape being Devil's food!"

Growing up, we referred to our church as the "Hippie Church". Songs were more 70's am radio/spiritual type fare - Like "Jesus Is Just Alright" or "Joy to the World". I distinctly remember one Good Friday where we spent the day listening to Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar. Hippie church would be proud of your choice!

Day 30: “Crosseyed and Painless”
…play a Talking Heads record.

Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77
4AC0A64E-2415-4859-8733-85758E2AFA71.jpeg
Whew! I made it! I only had 3 Talking Head albums left to choose from.

Hey @Turbo thanks for taking care of September. This Talking Heads themed challenge has been a blast!

@LeSamourai is handling the October challenge. I am sure I’ll see most of ya over there tomorrow to kick of spooky season.

Day 29 - “And She Was”
Not touching the ground at all and she's up above the yard. The world was moving, she was right there with it and she was.
Play an album that references angels, the sky, heaven or the afterlife.

How To Destroy Angels – How To Destroy Angels
The Null Corporation – SIGIL 2V, 2010

Cut by Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering
Pressed at United

AQrStG.jpg

l6W3gT.jpg

Back