September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 27 - “Cities”
Find a city. Find myself a city to live in.
Play an album that references a city you like. What do you like about it?

Xavier Caféine "Gisèle" (2006 Indica Records; 2020 Propagande remaster)
Includes the song "Montréal (Cette Ville)", an ode to the attraction of Montreal despite its seedy underbelly. The chorus translates to "This city will drive me completely nuts". I lived in Montreal for 15 years, between 1994 and 2009 and the city essentially permeated my being. Loved everything about it: the food, people's style, the sports teams, the ease of getting around the city, the mixed culture... I feel so comfortable there. That being said, I'm also pretty happy being outside the hustle and bustle of the city and have no regrets being where I am now.

As for the song, it's recommended if you like infectious pop-punk with loud guitars and lots of swagger. If you like the sample below, check out "La Fin Du Monde" and "Gisèle" from the same album.

IMG_1815.JPG

Day 26 - “Television Man”
Television man made me what I am. People like to put the television down. But we are just good friends. (I'm a) television man.
Play an album with a song used on a TV show (either a theme song or tell us what show/scene it was used in).

The Seatbelts – Cowboy Bebop (Original Series Soundtrack)
IMG-2037.jpg

Day 27 - “Cities”

The Band - Self-titled

“Look Out Cleveland” name drops Houston, my hometown. I’ve lived here most of my life and have mixed feelings about it. I dislike the urban sprawl, there isn’t as much public transportation as I’d like, the politics are messy (Texas politics as a whole are fucked), we are constantly hit by flooding, and it’s hot and humid.

That said, I love the diversity of this city. Also, the food here is excellent. There are so many fantastic restaurants and food trucks, it’s nearly overwhelming. There’s a lot of good people here and I am fortunate to live somewhere where I’ve been exposed to so many different walks of life and cultures. The museums here are also very impressive and we have some surprisingly great parks.

91BE0FC3-314E-4A14-AF17-AB9E168DBE07.jpeg

Day 26 - “Television Man”
Television man made me what I am. People like to put the television down. But we are just good friends. (I'm a) television man.
Play an album with a song used on a TV show (either a theme song or tell us what show/scene it was used in).

Sex Education on Netflix does an excellent job of linking music to particular scenes, sometimes to humorous effect - see the "I Touch Myself" montage to start season 2, or Gillian Andersons version of "Lets Talk About Sex". But they also address serious subjects like abortion, which featured the Smiths Asleep as the background music.

The Smiths ~ Louder Than Bombs

1632767817044.png

Last edited:
Day 26: “Television Man”

The Beatles - Revolver
7D681CBB-4184-4208-8F24-173FF4353FAF.jpeg

I love TV and Music and when used appropriately it can be a magical thing.

Besides this brilliant (and expensive) Beatles scene Mad Men contains a plethora of amazing musical moments featuring Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Beach Boys and Bowie…

One of my favorite musical moments though was the anachronistic inclusion of the Decemberists, “Infanta” during the opening sequence of season two episode “Maidenform”

I also found a nice NPR list they breaks down Mad Men‘s musical selection even further fit anyone is interested…

Day 27 - “Cities”

There are a few albums I can think of that will immerse you in a city that you've never lived in. This album not only brings you to New York, but New York at a very specific time in history from the point of the view of different communities that certainly weren't getting much of a voice at the the time this was released. And as an aside, the production on this album is amazing, every instrument is clear and distinct.

Lou Reed ~ New York

1632772703754.png

Day 27: “Cities”

Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche (Outtakes & Extras From The Illinois Album)
12F30397-6172-4250-923E-2F49CCDBFA88.jpeg
A fellow Midwestern transplant that I struck up a conversation with at a local tavern said to me, while we were trading stories about our Midwestern upbringing; that, “The Midwest is a nice place to be from” and I couldn’t agree with that sentiment more. I have now lived in the Pacific Northwest for almost a decade and absolutely love it, but I am still proud to be from Central Illinois. Sufjan loved my home state so much that he filled up a whole other album of material that didn’t make the cut for Illinois. One of things I love about this album in particular is they is quite a few Central IL references. “Dear Mr. Super Computer” reference The University of Illinois from Champagn/Urbana. “Adalai Stevenson” was from Bloomington, IL and “The Henney Buggy Band” actually references Bloomington. It also includes “Springfield” which is my SO hometown.

Day 27 - “Cities”
———
George Benson - “Weekend in L.A.”

More like a city I’d like to be in — I’ve been to several cities in CA, but not Los Angeles. I’ll need to do something about that…

A97A0DBA-1981-4786-A761-BADCA0125D75.jpeg

Day 24 - “Memories Can’t Wait”
You look so disappointed. It’s not what you hoped for, is it?
Play an album you were excited about but then disappointed you for some reason after you got it. Didn’t live up to the hype? Damaged in shipping? Bad pressing?

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

So hard to find a copy of this. I finally did a couple years ago and it has a skip at the end of the title track.

TWRD.jpeg

Day 27 - “Cities”

Mirah - C'mon Miracle

"The Dogs of B.A." references a city I wish I could have spent more time in while living in Argentina- Buenos Aires. However, I have since taken a great many trips via books and movies set in the city, from dark noir detective tales to gothic horror to a retelling of Superman. Hopefully soon I'll be able to go back in person! 🤞

IMG_20210927_181218016.jpg

Day 28 – “Take Me To River”
Take me to the river and wash me down. Won't you cleanse my soul, put my feet on the ground.
Play something that relates to Green. A green record? A song that references the color green? Something by Al Green?

Americana, 80's style. Mostly forgotten,. Deserve much better...

Green On Red - No Free Lunch

20210927_235701.jpg

Finally back home and can start catching up again!!!

Day 24 - Memories Cant Wait

20210928_003122.jpg

Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over the Country Club

I've spoken many times about my love for lana and after she released her magnum opus NFR I had HIGH expectations for her next project, to say I was let down by this project is an understatement. Hopefully Blue Banisters lands better with me next month

Day 28 – “Take Me To River”
Take me to the river and wash me down. Won't you cleanse my soul, put my feet on the ground.

Play something that relates to Green. A green record? A song that references the color green? Something by Al Green?
———
Grant Green - “Nigeria”

View attachment 113421

Damn, I was going to play Grant Green too.... different album though. But back to the drawing board. Maybe.

Back