September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 28 – “Take Me To River”
Take me to the river and wash me down. Won't you cleanse my soul, put my feet on the ground.
Play something that relates to Green. A green record? A song that references the color green? Something by Al Green?

Al Green - Al Green Get’s Next to You

39ABA672-743E-4701-B445-B73FDA49CACD.jpeg

Take me to the river and wash me down. Won't you cleanse my soul, put my feet on the ground.
Play something that relates to Green. A green record? A song that references the color green? Something by Al Green?

The Smithereens "Green Thoughts" (1988 Enigma Records)

IMG_1818.JPG

This soundtrack is far superior to the movie. You've got U2, PJ Harvey, Massive Attack, Nick Cave, Sunny Day Real Estate, Flaming Lips, and more. Plus it came in Green & Purple.

Various Artists ~ Batman Forever

1632845240970.png

With all the talk of Nevermind being 30yrs old, this seems appropriate to play. One of Kurt’s favourite bands.

The Vaselines - Son of a Gun b/w Rory Rides Me Raw (Optic Nerve reissue 2020)

5439BB99-C4C6-4E38-9418-0BDDB26985DA.jpeg

Day 26 - Television Man

20210928_174448.jpg

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac

My introduction to this band was actually back in 2013 thanks to American Horror Story Coven. My favorite character in it Misty Day was a die hard Stevie fan and every scene she was in was accompanied by a Stevie song. Those scenes introduced me to Mac and made me fall in love with them

Here is a scene of my favorite character of all time, dancing to my favorite song of all time sang live by my favorite musician of all time

Bonobo - Dial 'M' For Monkey

Bonobo, a.k.a. Simon Green.

IMG_20210928_172544802_HDR.jpg

Day 26 - “Television Man”
Television man made me what I am. People like to put the television down. But we are just good friends. (I'm a) television man.
Play an album with a song used on a TV show (either a theme song or tell us what show/scene it was used in).

BBNG - Can't Leave the Night - Better Call Saul S3E1
So great, and I really was hoping I'd get to use this one. Vince Gilligan does the music in TV shows so well, and this is one of his best I think.
And, this was one of those fun timing things - I was just getting into BBNG when this episode aired so I had that "Oh my god, yeah, these guys!" moment.

BBNG.jpeg

Edit: I meant to include the clip from Better Call Saul...so here it is.

Last edited:
Day 27 - “Cities”
Find a city. Find myself a city to live in.
Play an album that references a city you like. What do you like about it?

Well, Bob is a local legend. But on an even smaller level; his bass player, Chris Campbell, lived in my hometown back when this was recorded. When I was a kid we'd cut through the woods behind our sub and look at his house, and we always loved hearing 'Mr. Chris Campbell here on bass from Plymouth Michigan' on Bob's intros on this album. (4:36 on the video)
That was like, magical to me. The guy in that house right there is on this record I'm listening to. It gives a young artist hope, ya know?

I grew up in Plymouth, then I left for awhile, and ended up coming back and buying a house here 20 years ago. It's a small town, population around 9000. There is a small downtown with bars, coffee shops and restaurants in walking distance from our place. And it's right between Detroit and Ann Arbor, so there are tons of concerts and events all around us. When the weather is good, it's a fantastic place to exist.

bs.jpeg

Day 29 - “And She Was”
Not touching the ground at all and she's up above the yard. The world was moving, she was right there with it and she was.
Play an album that references angels, the sky, heaven or the afterlife.

Leo Bud Welch lived 85 years. His professional recording career was the last 4 years of his life.

Leo Bud Welch - The Angels In Heaven Done Signed My Name

20210929_004921.jpg

@trickyseven @scotthilk

Day 29 - “And She Was”
Not touching the ground at all and she's up above the yard. The world was moving, she was right there with it and she was.

Leo Bud Welch lived 85 years. His professional recording career was the last 4 years of his life.

Leo Bud Welch - The Angels In Heaven Done Signed My Name

View attachment 113485

@trickyseven @scotthilk

I'll check it!

Day 29 - “And She Was”

———
Inspired by Leo Bud Welch this morning…
Sister Rosetta Tharpe - “Beams of Heaven” on “Gospel Train”

846549B5-D683-4A3A-91DB-7ED02023EDA9.jpeg

Day 29 - “And She Was”

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

"Heaven is a truck, it got stuck on a breeze..."

20201223_150143-jpg.81336

Day 29 - “And She Was”

Recorded after the death of founding guitarist Dennis Danell, this album features a number of references and ruminations on heaven, angels, and more importantly, embracing the present.

So if you please, take this moment, Try if you can to make it last
Don't think about no future, And just forget about the past and make it last.

Reach for the sky 'cause tomorrow may never come

Social Distortion ~ Sex, Love, and Rock 'n' Roll

1632935003257.png

Day 29 - “And She Was”

The6ths - Heaven in a Black Leather Jacket b/w Rot in the Sun (Merge 1993)

Robert Scott (of The Bats) singing with Stephen Merritt (Magnetic Fields).

1F344206-8E2D-4EE3-80EE-F0713FAA6672.jpeg

Day 29 - “And She Was”

Paul Cauthen "Room 41" (2019 Lightning Rod Records, club version)
Includes the track "Angel".

IMG_1825.JPG

Back