September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 26 - “Television Man”
Television man made me what I am. People like to put the television down. But we are just good friends. (I'm a) television man.
Play an album with a song used on a TV show (either a theme song or tell us what show/scene it was used in).

The Clash "Hits Back" (2013 EPIC)
"Should I Stay Or Should I Go" played a central part in the first and second seasons of Stranger Things.

IMG_1814.JPG

Day 23 - “I, Zimbra”
E glassala tuffm I Zimbra.
Play an album with lyrics that make no sense, that are inscrutable or that are difficult to interpret.

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World

It isn't an SFA album without surreal lyrics that are more than a little tough to decipher!

View attachment 113309
How's the pressing?
I'm still waiting on mine.
A
N
X
I
O
U
S
L
Y

Day 24 - “Memories Can’t Wait”
You look so disappointed. It’s not what you hoped for, is it?
Play an album you were excited about but then disappointed you for some reason after you got it. Didn’t live up to the hype? Damaged in shipping? Bad pressing?

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues

Sounds pretty great... EXCEPT a few tracks have a random annoying jump. Oh well.

20210326_154305-jpg.93328

How's the pressing?
I'm still waiting on mine.
A
N
X
I
O
U
S
L
Y

Mine had a few small pops at the beginning of side B, and occasionally a little soft crackle here and there. As for the mastering, the vocals seem a little further back than on the CD, but overall I was happy with it. On discogs it looks like the quality control is all over the place though, with good copies and bad ones out there.

Television man made me what I am. People like to put the television down. But we are just good friends. (I'm a) television man.
Play an album with a song used on a TV show (either a theme song or tell us what show/scene it was used in).

Blonde Redhead - Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons

For the Damaged Coda is evil Morty's song.
For the Damaged Coda - Wikipedia

PXL_20210926_232644405.jpg

This also happens to be the latest N&G ROTM, check it out!

Day 22 - Slippery People
What's the matter with him? (He's alright.) I'll see his face (the Lord won't mind.) How do you know? (He's alright.)
Play an album by an artist that covers their face with make-up, wears a costume and/or uses a disguise.

Burial - Untrue

How about keeping your face (and identity) a secret for years?

IMG_20210926_165617362_HDR.jpg

Day 22 - Slippery People
What's the matter with him? (He's alright.) I'll see his face (the Lord won't mind.) How do you know? (He's alright.)
Play an album by an artist that covers their face with make-up, wears a costume and/or uses a disguise.

Spoon - Gimme Fiction
PXL_20210927_001247454.jpg

Day 23 - “I, Zimbra”
E glassala tuffm I Zimbra.
Play an album with lyrics that make no sense, that are inscrutable or that are difficult to interpret.

Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard - Yn Ol I Annwn

Stoner rock from North Wales
PXL_20210927_003017061.jpg

U2 - The Joshua Tree

The Americans is one of the all-time great shows, and one of the all-time great needle-droppers in its musical selection, especially because they knew when to use the recognizable classic, and when to go with the deeper cut. In the finale, they swung for the fences with the super-obvious popular choice, "With or Without You," and actually made it work so well that I cannot hear the song (which is now almost a cliché track for Big Emotional Moments) without remembering my heart breaking.

20200203_191116-jpg.31476

U2 - The Joshua Tree

The Americans is one of the all-time great shows, and one of the all-time great needle-droppers in its musical selection, especially because they knew when to use the recognizable classic, and when to go with the deeper cut. In the finale, they swung for the fences with the super-obvious popular choice, "With or Without You," and actually made it work so well that I cannot hear the song (which is now almost a cliché track for Big Emotional Moments) without remembering my heart breaking.

20200203_191116-jpg.31476

Yeah, they used music so well on that show. Two other songs that jump out to me were their use of Fleetwood Mac’s “Tusk” and Yaz’s “Don’t Go”

Walter White checks out...

Badfinger - Day After Day Live

View attachment 113248

Breaking Bad was on point with it’s musical cues. A couple other memorable ones…

Day 27 - “Cities”
Find a city. Find myself a city to live in.
Play an album that references a city you like. What do you like about it?

Lee Bains III is a proud Alabamian that currently operates out of Atlanta. The twist - he's endlessly active promoting all things opposite of the old south. As with anything with a bad reputation (often deservedly earned), there's always light and good and hope and positivity there, sometimes barely visible underneath all the darkness, but there nonetheless.

A healthy portion of every Lee Bains III + the Glory Fires record is a love letter to Alabama in general and Birmingham in particular. His songs accentuate all the endearing positives that exist there but also plead for change of thought and culture where it counts - racism, oppression, corruption.

When they get back out on the road again, please go see these guys. I always describe LBIII&TGF as The Clash via Birmingham, AL. I've had no arguments. They are spectacular live. I've uploaded a bunch of my LBIII&TGF live recordings to the Live Music Archive. Dig in - they're all free for streaming/sharing/download.

Here's one of my favorite Lee songs, a tune about trying to get his now wife to agree to move back home to Birmingham...

Paris and New York don't have honeysuckle vines
Like the ones on 32nd street
I know that Birmingham gets you down
But look what it raised you up to be

Lee Bains III + The Glory Fires - Dereconstructed

20210927_004543.jpg

Day 27 - “Cities”

Humphrey and The Dumptrucks - Saskatoon
20210926_223842.jpg

The Paris of the Prairies.

Other than driving through without stopping this summer it's been a few years since I've spent any time there, but the music and poetry communities have always given me stellar experiences when I've come around. There is also a wonderful cheese shop I like to try and hit up whenever I'm in town.

Play an album with a song used on a TV show (either a theme song or tell us what show/scene it was used in
View attachment 113343The Wire theme music

Nice selection! This track is pretty much my fist thought when this type of theme comes up. But I played Tom Waits the day before. Love how they kept using different cover versions as the theme for each season (this original being used in Season 2).

Back