September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 18: Bell X1 Syndrome

First became aware of the lead singer when she was the drummer with the local band Grand Ole Party. After they split, she moved to this project which I really enjoyed - Dreamy indie pop I guess would be a good description? Solid production and good licks.

Dum Dum Girls ~ Too True

IMG_8116.jpg

Day 18: “The Bell X1 syndrome”..play something that really should be well more known.....

Glen Hansard - Between Two Shores

231DEECC-351E-4002-ABA0-2669E73217F2.jpeg
Some of you may know Glen from his work in the Frames, or his starring role in Once, or as part of the Swell Season who did the soundtrack for the film. But many people don’t know his solo output, of which I’m a huge fan. You can definitely hear the Van Morrison influence in this album, my favorite of his solo albums.

Day 18: “The Bell X1 syndrome”..play something that really should be well more known.....

Cymbals Eat Guitars - Pretty Years

I'll always mourn this band and resent that they weren't able to leap to that next level of indie rock recognition. Joe went on to make probably my favorite album this year as Empty Country.

IMG_20200918_170445.jpg

View attachment 66779
Some of you may know Glen from his work in the Frames, or his starring role in Once, or as part of the Swell Season who did the soundtrack for the film. But many people don’t know his solo output, of which I’m a huge fan. You can definitely hear the Van Morrison influence in this album, my favorite of his solo albums.

Coincidentally i was watching Tin Star Series 2 yesterday and got hooked on a tune of his that featured “Bird of Sorrow”

View attachment 66779

One of the benefits of seeing Eddie Vedder solo more than a few times is his friendship with Glen, and getting to see him play with Ed multiple times. Incredibly passionate performer, the two of them dueting on Falling Slowly is always a high point of their shows.

Day 18 - Bell X1 syndrome

I really have no idea why this wasn’t one of the biggest soul albums ever. Outside of What’s Going On, this is, for my money, as good as any soul album ever released. I guess it was just the time it was released when label distribution was everything? (this was ironically released on Mainstream records)

89845363-5215-488D-9975-354E7FBC9E34.jpeg

Day 18 - “The Bell X1 syndrome”

20200918_185046.jpg

Sleeper Agent - Celebrasion

After playing cage the Elephant I'm gonna go with another band from Bowling Green KY! Sleeper agent are easily my favorite band that sadly no one has heard of. They released two amazing rock albums in the early 2010s then broke up so the lead singer could try out for the voice (where she didnt get far, vocal prowess was never the bands selling point).

This, their debut album, is a raunchy/sleazy blast!!

Last edited:

You Am I is a band that produces song after song with a riff, a chorus, a hook, that's just perfect.

I saw them open for Soundgarden in 1994. It was an epiphany. They were lightning in a bottle.

Big in their native Australia. Never really caught on in the US. Such a shame.

I preach about this 27 year old album to anyone who'll listen like it's a new release. Every song - every song - is an earworm.

You Am I - Sound As Ever

20200919_010943.jpg

Day 19: “Axe Attack”- guitarist wet dream albums , shoegaze heaven etc

I'm really showing my age with my picks for this challenge, but when it comes to axe attacks, the shit that went down in college dorm rooms is fucking indelible! Kansas and Boston (and Hendrix and Queen and Zeppelin and...) were two of the bands whose albums rattled the windows of our cinder-block cells, and after going back and forth a few times (and living up to my avatar), I've got to go with Kansas.

Kansas - Leftoverture

Sept19.2.jpg

Last edited:
Day 19: “Axe Attack”- guitarist wet dream albums , shoegaze heaven etc

I'm really showing my age with my picks for this challenge, but when it comes to axe attacks, the shit that went down in college dorm rooms is fucking indelible! Kansas and Boston (and Hendrix and Queen and Zeppelin and...) were two of the bands whose albums rattled the windows of our cinder-block cells, and after going back and forth a few times (and living up to my avatar), I've got to go with Kansas.

Kansas - Leftoverture

View attachment 66836

Great start to day 19

Day 19: “Axe Attack”

I had another planned, but remembered this release. An interesting 2LP set of guitar instrumentals from alt/indie artists of the 80's/90's.

Various ‎– Guitarrorists
Glitterhouse Records/No. 6 Records ‎– GR 0170/kar 009, 1991

Cut by Günter Pauler

zEZRub.jpg

nwthaz.jpg

jhtHpD.jpg

LTHagr.jpg

Last edited:
Day 19: “Axe Attack”

I had another planned, but remembered this release. An interesting 2LP set of guitar instrumentals from alt/indie artists of the 80's/90's.

Various ‎– Guitarrorists
Glitterhouse Records/No. 6 Records ‎– GR 0170/kar 009, 1991

Cut by Günter Pauler

zEZRub.jpg

nwthaz.jpg

jhtHpD.jpg

LTHagr.jpg

Here's what looks like a decent playlist of most, if not all, of the tracks.

Last edited:

View attachment 66779

Great pick, I love that album. I wasn't able to go to see him a couple years ago when he came around and was pretty bummed, I've heard his live shows are intense and excellent.

Day 17: Fab four

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Many people would say this is their best album, and I'd agree that it's one of their masterpieces, but the story and drama surrounding this album is very compelling. I love both their earlier, later, and most recent stuff, too, but it's arguable that they peaked from albums three through five.

(With morning java.)

PXL_20200919_140617538.jpg

Day 19 - Axe Attack!!!
My Bloody Valentine - Live In Vancouver Canada July 7th 1992
large_cdm.discorder.1-0050245.0007_cdm.discorder.1-0050245.0008_full__1_.jpg
The bootleggers got the date wrong, it was actually July 1 1992 (Canada Day), with Yo La Tengo and Buffalo Tom opening up. It was an amazing show for many reasons. YLT were touring for May I Sing With Me and Buff Tom for Let Me Come Over. Both put on great but short sets. MBV was absolutely intense, destroying the venue with You Made Me Realize (Holocaust). For visuals they had strapped a video camera to the front bumper of a car and filled it driving around. The film was sped up really fast so you only could tell what was happening when the car stopped at traffic list (usually lasting only a second or 2).

But more importantly, this concert was the first date for me and my future wife. Not sure if she knew what she was getting into (both with the concert and with me). 2 years to the day, we moved in together and in 2021 we will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. (Also, if anyone has a cd copy of the full concert and is interested in selling or making copy of for me would be much appreciated.)
FCBF2BF1-638A-47B7-A35C-DBEECED775DC.jpg

Day 18: Bell X1 Syndrome

James Blackshaw - Love is the Plan, the Plan is Death

James Blackshaw is primarily a fingerstyle, usually 12-string, guitarist from the UK in the tradition of Fahey, Basho, etc., using repetition to build up really enchanting, droney songs. This, his 2012 album, was his first to feature mostly nylon string as well as vocals (not his own; that would come a bit later) and piano as a lead instrument. It's one of my favourite albums of the last decade. Unfortunately he announced a few years ago that he was taking a break from music due to difficulties around touring the kind of music he was starting to get more interested in -- less solo guitar, more full band stuff -- and general economic pressures. Last fall he announced a return to recording and hopefully touring, released one new song, and then basically COVID hit, so we'll see what happens. Regardless, this and a handful of his other albums are really beautiful and should be known by more people. I'd highly recommend him to anyone interested in solo guitar music.

PXL_20200919_150120207.jpg

Back