September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 17: “Fab Four”- Make or break time ..those bands that reached the 4th album ..play album number 4 or IV.

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Fantastic fourth album.

Drum note
If you're a fan of tasty drum mixes, this Steven Wilson remix will hit you right. Clive Bunker is a monster, and he sounds better than ever here.

20200917_174729.jpg

Day 17: “Fab Four”- Make or break time ..those bands that reached the 4th album ..play album number 4 or IV.

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Fantastic fourth album.

Drum note
If you're a fan of tasty drum mixes, this Steven Wilson remix will hit you right. Clive Bunker is a monster, and he sounds better than ever here.

View attachment 66629

love this Steven Wilson mix.

The Jesus And Mary Chain released 3 very different sounding albums leading up to their 4th. On that record, they hit on arguably their perfect sound, blending elements from the first 3 to create a beaut.

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Honey's Dead

20190807_230343.jpg

Day 18: “The Bell X1 syndrome”..play something that really should be well more known.....

Karla Bonoff - Karla Bonoff

Sept18a.jpg
Sept18b.jpg

I was heavily into singer-songwriters during the late 70’s-early 80’s, and Karla Bonoff was a favorite of mine at the time. I enjoyed her first three albums, and then a fourth that was released in ’88. (This 70s/80s decade transition also was the time in my life when I first bought and cared about separate stereo components, even though I could only afford the most rudimentary stuff, and therefore began to really listen to the music I was buying.) And it always ticked me off that she never seemed to receive quite the acclaim that others received for singing songs she had written, even though her own versions stood quite well on their own. Linda Ronstadt first put Bonoff on the map by including three of Bonoff’s songs on Ronstadt’s Hasten Down the Wind album (which did lead to Bonoff getting her first solo recording contract, so there is that). In addition to Ronstadt, who covered quite a few of Bonoff’s songs over the years, other covers have come from the likes of Bonnie Raitt, Alison Krauss, Dusty Springfield, and Wynonna. I suspect this was a good thing for Bonoff, but I never quite understood why more attention seemed to be paid to her songs when they were sung by others, so I’m touting her debut album as one that really should be more well known. And I sure would love to see an all-analogue reissue of it one day!

Day 17 - Fab Four

20200918_042936.jpg

Cage the Elephant - Tell Me I'm Pretty

For some reason the 4th album my favorite band or group puts out is usually my least favorite of theirs, and this one is absolutely my least favorite of theirs lol. There are sparks of greatness but overall I feel like Dan Auerbach's production covered up what made the band so good

Day 18: “The Bell X1 syndrome”..play something that really should be well more known.....

Durand Jones & The Indications - Durand Jones & The Indications

I know there's a decent amount of Durand/Colemine love on this forum, but this album is one of my all time favorites and their live show is spectacular! They should be huge and at least getting a Black Pumas level of attention.

Durand Jones & The Indications - Durand Jones & The Indications

I know there's a decent amount of Durand/Colemine love on this forum, but this album is one of my all time favorites and their live show is spectacular! They should be huge and at least getting a Black Pumas level of attention.

Day 18

this one is hard. In my experience stuff that we think is big around here will get you looks of “who the fuck?” out in real life. Even folks who are relatively successful like Andrew Bird and Iron & Wine aren’t exactly at household name level. The slow collapse of music as a physical medium and the ability to make an album in your bed room that won’t get laughed off of Spotify has created a very different dynamic from the ubiquitous nature of music the majority of my life. I mean music is certainly a constant in my day to day and music is everywhere but outside of few like Taylor Swift and Beyoncé... there just aren’t the acts that everyone knows and has an opinion on in the quantities of the 60’s through the 90’s. That’s neither a good thing nor a bad thing. Just a thing.

Anyhow, so I approaching this from the audience here... sure I think NealFrancis could be a bigger deal around here, but you guys know who he is. I’m trying to play something I feel you guys have slept on...

0B665A48-21A2-43D5-B979-E96A8C141546.jpeg
Madison Cunningham - Who Are You Now

This a bluesy singer songwriter album. She came to my attention when she open for Punch Brothers and she was a contributor to Andrew Bird’s latest touring with him as well.

It was just released yesterday, lead on Colemine’s Brighter Days stream for the week. First single off his forth coming solo project produced by Mr Auerbach.

Aaron teaming up with Dan?! Sign me up!haha Thanks for the heads up, release date yet? No Colemine affiliation it seems though? :( Dead Oceans and Easy Eye Sounds are the only credits on Spotify and in the video.

Aaron teaming up with Dan?! Sign me up!haha Thanks for the heads up, release date yet? No Colemine affiliation it seems though :(
Colemine is supportive regardless and I bet Plaid Room will at the very least have an exclusive. I think it’s weird to see Big Eye with Dead Oceans... it’ll be interesting if Colemine or Nonesuch are also involved.

Day 18: “The Bell X1 syndrome”

I'm kinda surprised I don't hear more about this record within this forum, being as jazz-centric as it can get.

This is a instrumental based jazz fusion-Rock-experimental type thing...with Tool's Danny Carey on drums.

Volto! ‎– Incitare
Fantasy ‎– FAN-34704-01, 2013

Cut by Chris Bellman

akUH83.jpg

AExZgu.jpg

Day 18: "Bell X1 Syndrome"

Jean Leloup "A Paradis City" (2015 Grosse Boîte)

I'll take the "Bell X1 Syndrome" theme to mean "local band/artist that should be more known". Jean Leloup is a local Quebec boy that's been releasing records since the late 80s. I'll describe him as a Quebecois "Beck" of sorts. Several of his albums are heavily electronic with that sort of goofy white boy rap, others are full on rock and he also has acoustic albums. His lyrics richly portray different modern characters and stories in poetic language - that they are in french is probably what keeps him from being more known outside our province. His most widely known song is "I Lost My Baby" from the mid-90s (on the album "Le Dome"), a song with both French and English lyrics painting a love story taking place in eastern Ontario.

I chose this 2015 album, mostly because it's the only one I have on vinyl. But this later career record is also one of his most accomplished. This one is more of a straight up rock record and the stories are inspired. It also feels very "Montreal".

IMG_0830.JPG

Back