September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Great pick, I love that album. I wasn't able to go to see him a couple years ago when he came around and was pretty bummed, I've heard his live shows are intense and excellent.
I’ve been fortunate enough to see Glen a handful of times solo as well as four times in swell season and his shows have gotten more and more intense and always great.

Day 18: “The Bell X1 syndrome”..play something that really should be well more known.....

You Am I is a band that produces song after song with a riff, a chorus, a hook, that's just perfect.

I saw them open for Soundgarden in 1994. It was an epiphany. They were lightning in a bottle.

Big in their native Australia. Never really caught on in the US. Such a shame.

I preach about this 27 year old album to anyone who'll listen like it's a new release. Every song - every song - is an earworm.

You Am I - Sound As Ever

View attachment 66832

Just listened to this on Spotify,it sounds as if it was a live album....really raw and powerful. Looks like they are still recording and performing.

Day 19: “Axe Attack”- guitarist wet dream albums , shoegaze heaven etc
Dinosaur Jr. - Where You Been
View attachment 66883

Really, I coulda probably chosen any Dinosaur Jr album. J Mascis shreds.

Being real, I had never listened to the bonus material included on the LP until now and while it is all pretty good if inessential my ears perked up when all of the sudden DEL THE FUNKEE HOMOSAPIEN STARTS RAPPING!!! Mascis is on the guitar and singing back up but it was a bit unexpected.

I found a video of them performing the track on The Arsenio Hall Show back in 1992. Fun stuff!

Edit: I forgot about Judgement Night. Bad movie, great soundtrack. Also, it looks like The Beastie Boys Mike D is on drums in this video! I love YouTube!

Last edited:
Day 19 - Axe attack

I’ve seen Deafheaven thrice - the first time, I had heard that frontman George Clarke was a great performer (he is), so I stood front and center. The next two times though, I knew to plant myself right in front of guitarist Kerry McCoy to watch him work.

0D8FF551-3E98-485D-AC02-F2EC18D160F5.jpeg

Day 18: Should be more well known...

Most of my collection is made up of well-known artists (at least within the N&G crowd), but this here is a record I think deserves more attention than it got. I spun this last night but felt too sick to post it after I heard the news, so I’m just now getting around to it.

Kadhja Bonet - Childqueen

4D5F016B-709F-4108-8BBC-C23901DB8874.jpeg

Day 15 - Holiday
Deltron 3030

This record is about travel... traveling 1010 years into the future.
“It’s the year, 3030. And here at the Corporate Institutional Bank of Time, we find ourselves reflecting. Finding out that, in fact, we came back. We were always coming back.”

View attachment 66935

Also- "National Movie Review" is probably my favorite album sketch ever... probably because my friends and I knew every line to Strange Brew when I was in high school.

Back